The online racing simulator
GTX 460 FPS-Problem
(77 posts, started )
#1 - 318is
GTX 460 FPS-Problem
Hi everybody,

i run a 64 X2 Dual 5000+ with now, a gtx 460 with the 258.96 driver.
The mainboard is a
I no have the problem of horrible fps down to under 20 !!!!!!!!!!!! at certain parts of the track. Fps in common is way to low for this setup.
I ran a 9800GT before and had about 100 fps @ the same setup.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to fiddle with, would be so nice!!!!!!!!!

cheers
Did you keep the same drivers, or did you update them (removed first)?
#3 - 318is
I ran the onboard ati before i fitted the gtx - so no nvidia drivers where installed ...
Ati is still installed but onboard is disabled.

Thanx for the quick reply!!!!!
Get rid of the ATi drivers, you don't need them if the on-board is disabled.
#5 - 318is
doing it right now - holding fingers crossed ;-)

brb after quick reboot
#6 - 318is
still same :-(
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I don't get it!

directx is limited to 9c by win xp - so up to date ....

what else can i check????
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Gu ... weeper-(Setup)_d1655.html

Download that and install it, then uninstall current graphics drivers, reboot into safe mode, run driver cleaner and remove all ati and nvidia graphics.

Reboot, then re-install nvidia drivers and see if that helps, if not try newer/older drivers then you'll know whether problem lies elsewhere.
#8 - 318is
cool - thanx mate. imma give it a try

brb
#9 - 318is
cleaning did not solve the problem - now downgrading driver

brb
no success :-(

plz help!!!!!!

:-)
Can you watch if the new card is running at normal clocks? Is your power supply strong enough to deliver the power to it? Or it could be the 12v rails maybe...

What drivers did you try?
I tried the newest 258.96 and the one that came with the card 258.56

u know a tool to watch current clockspeeds with?

checkin power supply now : 400W
I think that's just the idle clock speeds for lower power usage. How many Watt is the power supply?
the power is 400watts

and yeah - the core gpu clock does raise with load
this is really driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do I really have do go to a ATI HD5770 ??????
ok, after reading through everything I could find on nvidia and fps-problems it pretty much seems like a general nvidia-driver problem.

Does anybody here run lfs with this card (460 gtx) without problems? If so, which driver are you using ????

If no solution shows up SOON imma prolly have to go to the ATI department .... :-(

Thanx guys for the replies!!!!!!!!
I doubt your PSU is up to the task of powering that card. Does it even have the two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors that you need to plug into the card?

The GTX460 1GB has a TDP (Thermal Design Power) of 160 Watts. For reference, this translates to a current draw of 13.3 Amps. Even if it does have the PCI-E power connectors, I doubt the 12V rail on your PSU is capable of supplying this amount of power.

Those PCI-E power connectors plug in here:

Full system specs would be nice to know, and the brand of the psu too.
- Vendor of PSU is: Seasonic (400 Watts) and it only comes with one of the 6pin connectors. I use the adapter from "regular hdd power" => "6 pin" for the second one.

- Full Specs attached

- Almost forgot to mention again MAFIA 2 demo runs ok with the current setup!!! I guess Mafia should demand more ressources then LFS .......

- Here is one of the threads wich made me think it might be a driver related problem: http://forums.nvidia.com/index ... owtopic=166243&st=260

Let me know if I can provide more info!

Thank you all for your help - I can't believe this card can't handle LFS right!!!
Attached images
Unbenannt.PNG
i have seen two different 460's run lfs fine, one factory overclocked and the other standard both using the latest driver. i did notice though that yours seems to be running a bit warm at 61 C and the two that ive seen idle at about 25 C. I would have a look at how hot its getting while playing lfs. As far i as i knew from personal experience if its not getting enough power to the graphics card the computer refuses to turn on but i could be wrong as ive only seen it do that on 9800gtx+
Rather odd mafia 2 seems to run well but not lfs, I do agree with "Forbin" that your psu is a bit low.

According to http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ your just over 400 watts.

Have you tried a fresh install of lfs?
I tried a fresh installation of lfs already with no success.

Regarding temp I don't have too much hope since the fps don't drop like after a while but its the same even if I just started lfs.

How can I dig deeper into the power thing? And still somehow weird that mafia would run smooth consuming more power and running way hotter ....

I am really willing to get this sorted - and thanx again guys for your help!!!
Quote from 318is :How can I dig deeper into the power thing?

I know Gigabyte offer some type of monitoring software for their boards that shows the voltage on the 12volt rail, you could run a stress test and see if that drops.

I use furmark for stress testing.

I was looking at buying 2 of these cards too

GTX 460 FPS-Problem
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG