The online racing simulator
how to travell in uk
(29 posts, started )
#1 - majod
how to travell in uk
I'm going to Britain in autumn to see my friends in Huddersfield, but it wouldn't be okay to go to Britain for the first time and not visiting London

so I would like to combine my trip with London; flying from Slovakia to London and then I need to get somehow to Huddersfield and back home.

--my question is, what is the best/cheapest/fastest (school year so i dont have much time) way to get there from London. I've checked some websites with bus/train prices and it says that train from London to Huddersfield (through Leeds) would cost around 114GBP....that's too much for me, because I have to somehow get back home, probably from Liverpool.

Also in my country I have 50% off from train/bus travelling with my ISIC card, can I use it in Britain?

thanks for any advice
#2 - JJ72
Try the national express coach if you are short on cash....but it takes 6 to 7 hours. usually won't cost more than 30 pounds.

I dunno if there's regional flight to london.....if there is it will probably be cheaper than by train.

Just did a quick check - from Heathrow to Leeds Bradford (closest airport to Huddersfield), $115USD and a 3 hour flight, probably not worth it given the time you waste at the airport and more travel you need to do from Leeds.

So Coaches I say.
Public transport is generally expensive, however, if you pre-book your tickets, you can get good discounts, coach or bus would be the cheaper option.

TBH, you could probably hire a car (or even buy a dirt cheap clunker) for the same price as getting the train.
#4 - JJ72
Quote from danowat :TBH, you could probably hire a car (or even buy a dirt cheap clunker) for the same price as getting the train.

Do I smell a top gear challenge opportunity?
Quote from danowat :TBH, you could probably hire a car (or even buy a dirt cheap clunker) for the same price as getting the train.

Isn't it lovely how the public transport in most countries work.

It always ends with taking a car
In major cities, it works, and is fairly cheap and punctual, however, outside of that, its terrible.
#7 - majod
thank you all for all advices; on the car topic: im going with a friend who lived there for 2 years and left there his car, so theres a small chance that we would go together and maybe it will be cheaper for 2 people travell by diesel car than 1 travell by bus
Quote from majod :so theres a small chance that we would go together and maybe it will be cheaper for 2 people travell by diesel car than 1 travell by bus

Not only that, but you don't have to mix with the public transport riff-raff
Erm, if you buy in advance you can get a single to Hudderfield for £15 from London...
Quote from boothy :Erm, if you buy in advance you can get a single to Hudderfield for £15 from London...

can you please post the source?
Looking at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ with random dates in the next month or two it is showing tickets from London to Huddersfield costing around 15GBP for a 2.5 hour journey with 1 or 2 train changes.
For 115GBP you can probably get an InterRail ticket from http://www.raileurope.co.uk/ which is more than what you need and would probably get you home if you planned your journey carefully - I got from Paris to Istanbul with an InterRail 5 days in 7 days ticket for 120GBP.

When are you going? If your going this month then prices are high - you need to book tickets at least 1 month in advance otherwise it'll be very expensive on train.
A quick look for prices at the end of this month shows London > Huddersfield costing around 89GBP upwards. However if you don't mind taking separate trains you can do the journey for around 30GBP by going London > Nottingham for 9GBP and then Nottingham > Huddersfield for 18GBP.... plus that way you can visit Nottingham Castle and the Robin Hood Museum

Book well in advance or forget the trains. Buses suck IMO - you see more on the trains and they are normally quicker.... but without more specific information on your traveling (dates and times) I can't advise further.
Fir trains, really check the times carefully as you can really get great discounts if you are prepared to go after 10am and also on less busy days like a Tuesday, Wed or Thursday.

http://www.buytickets.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk

Those two offer good deals.

I checked with the top link going from London to Huddersfield and back with about a couple of weeks up there and managed to get that for £42 return....

So do look around

Buses are often cheaper but take a lot longer and are a lot less direct
Don't buy from the trainline.com, they charge more. Use eastcoast.co.uk, who offer a 10% online discount on their advanced east coast trains. I put in like Kings Cross to Huddersfield, October 15th, and got the £15 fair (even without a railcard) - like Paul says, if you know exactly when you are coming over then you should be able to get cheapish train fares if you book a month or so in advance, and indeed, trains are usually better than buses.
thank you all for websites, im going to check them

Quote from PaulH :
When are you going?

29. october
Hitchhike. It's free :up:
turn up at some random lfs'ers house who has a car and offer them beer. They will let you stay for life
Huddersfield rules!
#19 - 5haz
Don't

Train tickets are quite random in this country, a ticket for the same or similar journeys seems to vary so much based on when and where you get it.
however, noone answered my question about ISIC card, that means:
1, in britain no students use it?
2, all i can do is wipe my ass with it?
#21 - 5haz
Well lots of things have a student discount here so I'd imagine if you can prove you're a full time student with your card then you could get quite a bit off. I'm not sure about national rail though.

Theres always the coaches/buses, look on www.nationalexpress.com or if you want really cheap try http://uk.megabus.com where if you're lucky you might get a seat for as low as £1. Although with coaches obviously you can expect uncomfortable cramped conditions and ridiculously long journeys in queues while trains are at least fairly quiet and comfortable.
#22 - JJ72
Quote from majod :all i can do is wipe my ass with it?

not recommended, it was alright for spreading mustard though.
Quote from JJ72 :Do I smell a top gear challenge opportunity?

not a bad idea
There are no student discounts that I know of on trains in the UK - unless you have a student rail card.

I've used National Express before for a 2 hour journey, it does take a bit longer than the train but there were about 5 people on the whole coach so it wasn't crowded at all, and it was comfortable, plenty of space for bags etc (was going to the airport).
Quote from JJ72 :not recommended, it was alright for spreading mustard though.

I hope you washed it thoroughly between these two tests...

how to travell in uk
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG