The online racing simulator
FR or MR(2)...?
(24 posts, started )
#1 - TiJay
FR or MR(2)...?
Sooo, in the next couple of months I'm going to be looking for a RWD convertible...

My budget is upto £4k (depends how much I get for the Aygo), so my choices seem to be a Mk1/early Mk2 MX5 (has been my dream car for a while) or an MR2 and I can't really decide.

I hear the MX5 is more predictable and fun handling-wise but both are pretty much perfect in "normal" driving. Thing is if I did get an MX5 I'd probably want a Mk1 and finding a decent one with an airbag and leather seats isn't going to be easy...

Opinions please!

(PS: Leaning towards the MX5 as it seems more happy to go sideways without piling into a tree...)
If you get an MX5, you will be able to drive it in iRacing

The Shelby Cobra was based on the Miata, and I think it's sexier, but that's just me (some will think it's girly )
can you fit into a MX5 or MR2?
Mk1 ftw

Quote from TiJay :Sooo, in the next couple of months I'm going to be looking for a RWD convertible...

My budget is upto £4k (depends how much I get for the Aygo), so my choices seem to be a Mk1/early Mk2 MX5 (has been my dream car for a while) or an MR2 and I can't really decide.

I hear the MX5 is more predictable and fun handling-wise but both are pretty much perfect in "normal" driving. Thing is if I did get an MX5 I'd probably want a Mk1 and finding a decent one with an airbag and leather seats isn't going to be easy...

Opinions please!

(PS: Leaning towards the MX5 as it seems more happy to go sideways without piling into a tree...)

airbags and leather seats spoil the fun . JDM spec (no airbags and fabric seats ftw) my uncle's girlfriend has one a JDM import from 1991 and it is spotless
Isn't the Cobra a good ol' tubeframe with a fibreglass bodyshell?

About the MX vs MR, look up how much it costs to maintain both. I'd say the MX5 is cheaper in the longrun cause so much were build and sold, lots of spare parts. And while the MR2 being mid-engined is cool in itself, it is (depends on version your after) a bit short in bootspace.

Reliability shouldn't be a problem for both (but the last gen MR2 likes to eat oilpumps)
Quote from MijnWraak :
The Shelby Cobra was based on the Miata

Don't you mean to reverse that statement?
I'd go for the MR2. My brother bought a JDM spec one with the turbo pumping out 15psi.... it was a great car untill he totaled it after he got brake checked by an SUV....
Quote from SidiousX :Don't you mean to reverse that statement?

possibly. hahaha, I just remember watching something on the History channel about the shelby and mentioning it had something to do with the mx-5 and thought it said it was based on it lmao (not really a proper car enthusiast, tbh :X)
If I had to choose, I'd pick the MX-5, even if some say it's a hairdresser-car.
I'd look up the review of the mx-5 that thesmokingtire did on youtube. Was pretty good IMHO. Not sure of any good mr2 ones.
Do i smell a mid life crisis car in the works?

Btw convertibles are lame unless your some hot blonde with daddys money or arent you telling us something?
Quote from el pibe :I'd go for the MR2. My brother bought a JDM spec one with the turbo pumping out 15psi.... it was a great car untill he totaled it after he got brake checked by an SUV....

Sounds like he deserved it
send a PM to tristran as he runs (or did) an MX5, i've driven a few and if you can put up with the "hairdressers car" jokes they're great fun to drive. Mk1 and Mk3 MR2's are good fun aswell, Mk2 version seemed to forget it was supposed to be a "Midengined Runabout 2 seater" became a seriously fast car and, along with a few handling issues on the first versions of the MK2, lost a lot of the chuckability / fun factor. having said that i've enjoyed myself a lot driving MR2's aswell.

i've got a sort of half way house between the two, fiat x1/9 (the car toyota based the MK1 MR2 on), like the mX5 a "hairdressers car" thats light and fast enough without being so fast you can't extend it without seriously endangering your licence, but at the same time midengined with the balance and response that gives.

oh and if you do go for a MK1 MR2, watch out for rust in box sections etc, that's something else they seemed to copy from the x1/9
Drive a Mk1 MR2 as well, they handle so much better than the Mk2 and I don't think it's possible to have more fun for less money.
Quote :Do i smell a mid life crisis car in the works?

Mid life?? I hope to live past 42, thank you! And the girls love a hairdresser... right??

It would be a Mk3 MR2 I'm looking at, I can't seem to find out much about it apart from "it's good until it kills you". So still leaning towards the MX...

Was rather hoping for Tristan to jump in on this thread but I'll have to PM him I guess
Quote from TiJay :It would be a Mk3 MR2 I'm looking at, I can't seem to find out much about it apart from "it's good until it kills you".

a zzw30 is also a notoriously hard car to live in seeing as you wont be able to carry much more than a toothbrush around with you
and i still maintain that the sw20 is the only mr2 that isnt fugly
#18 - senn

MX5 is also good. But i'm pretty biased toward the mk1 MR2. However, it MUST be handled with respect. It's not the kinda car you want to scrimp on tyres etc on either!
Quote from TiJay :Sooo, in the next couple of months I'm going to be looking for a RWD convertible...

Opinions please!

turbo mr2.

Bring it to a good mechanic, once the engine has a clean bill of health, either swap the turbos out and make well over 200, or get a stupidly cheap one and throw a Camry or simular engine in.

i know modifacation isnt everyones cup of tea but the end result...

also at senn... AW11...
Everything that's good and noble about the Miata should be well know so I'll list the thing that annoys me about mine (mk 2.5).

- Not enough power. Really think about this one. It's a chore in daily driving because I really have to put a lot of effort to keep pace with traffic... at least here where we have 270hp minivans to deal with.

- It's not very rigid and the lack of rigidity is very noticeable over bumps.

- There's a lot of wheel gap and it doesn't look very good this way.

- The suspension is pretty soft.
And now the good parts. I bought mine with the top priority being that I was going to track it on a budget, so here are the little realities that make it a great buy if you have track in mind.

- You can do zero upgrades and the car will handle track work with out anythig failing. Get a 6 speed with LSD and bilstein shocks.

- 15" wheels are cheap. 205/50/15 has lots of selection of sticky rubber, and are cheap. I run Dunlop Z1's.

- Brake pads are cheap and you won't kill them because the car is light and slow.

- Engine is reliable too.

- Camber is adjustable.
Quote :Not enough power. Really think about this one.

It must be really different over here. I drive a 70bhp car at the moment and am still quicker than most traffic, as most other cars are just as slow and they don't drive theirs as hard!

Lack of rigidity and soft suspension on a class leading roadster? I'd hate to see what its competitors are like

Overall, would you consider it a good choice?
#23 - Osco
Quote from Mattesa :And now the good parts. I bought mine with the top priority being that I was going to track it on a budget, so here are the little realities that make it a great buy if you have track in mind.

- You can do zero upgrades and the car will handle track work with out anythig failing. Get a 6 speed with LSD and bilstein shocks.

- 15" wheels are cheap. 205/50/15 has lots of selection of sticky rubber, and are cheap. I run Dunlop Z1's.

- Brake pads are cheap and you won't kill them because the car is light and slow.

- Engine is reliable too.

- Camber is adjustable.

6 speed is not needed on a stock miata. Unless you change the differential aswell you'll end up with less favourable gearing (assuming you only swap the gearbox and leave the diff as-is). 5 speed is reliable upto 250 hp. LSD is fun though. Torsen is found on some models starting from the 1.8 in 94' Not sure about the newer models.

Upgrades are plentifull and cheap. Easy to work on. Do it.

I'm not biased

15" is the ticket on miatas. Light and yet plenty choice in tires.
Quote from TiJay :
Lack of rigidity and soft suspension on a class leading roadster? I'd hate to see what its competitors are like

It's all relative of course, and as a whole package the goods far outweigh the cons, but nevertheless these little niggles are still there. Go for a test drive and feel it for yourself.

Quote from TiJay :Overall, would you consider it a good choice?

Of course I do! It's a fantastic choice. A great platform that with an entry point that covers all the basics (that would be RWD) and has the potential to grow via mods on a reasonable budget. The pic that LukeLFS posted... looks great... except a stock MK1 looks nothing like that! But getting there isn't too hard.

Quote from Osco :6 speed is not needed on a stock miata. Unless you change the differential aswell you'll end up with less favourable gearing (assuming you only swap the gearbox and leave the diff as-is). 5 speed is reliable upto 250 hp. LSD is fun though. Torsen is found on some models starting from the 1.8 in 94' Not sure about the newer models.

True 6-speed isn't a necessity. On North American MK2's LSDs were only available with the 6-speeds - might be the case in the UK as well. LSD is definitely, definitely desirable.

FR or MR(2)...?
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG