The online racing simulator
PHP5 - InSim Mod.
(120 posts, started )
PHP5 - InSim Mod.
Based off the work of morpha's code base pretty much in it's original form that he gave it to me. This is a full blown InSim application that allows users to develop plugins in PHP. My vision is to make what AMX Mod X is to the original Half Life.

Change Log
- Initial Public Release.

- Initial Public Release.

And write here you use my code and ripnet's code.

//EDIT: I think, you wrote max. 30-40 lines of code. All other code is copied from PHPLFS and my PHP InSim System (not relased for public but I sent you it).
Quote from misiek08 :And write here you use my code and ripnet's code.

//EDIT: I think, you wrote max. 30-40 lines of code. All other code is copied from PHPLFS and my PHP InSim System (not relased for public but I sent you it).

Actually I wrote less then that, as I've said before, this is basically what morpha gave me about 6 months ago. And I had forgotten that you had sent me code at all, but yes I still have that PM in my inbox. I don't know if I still have that codebase you sent me (insim_for_dygear.zip), but I will look for it on my hard drive ...

Ok, I've found the code you sent me on my hard drive, and what you sent to me is not even close to this. I don't appreciate being called a plagiarizer, and I'm sure morpha does not have the stomach for it either. Especially when it's my reputation that you just threw into the mud.
I didn't said you are "plagiarizer".
I saw the packet's file or sockets and is matching in 80-85% when merging.
Quote from misiek08 :I didn't said you are "plagiarizer".
I saw the packet's file or sockets and is matching in 80-85% when merging.

The packet file is going to be close to yours because it's the Spec of InSim.
As for the socket system ... I'm the one who told you to use socket_select.
I'm not offending / defending anyone, but I don't appreciate hearing anyone is a plagiarizing without; direct evidence and facts. Not to mention this shouldn't be here. Switch to PM's guys and let this thread contain what it is meant to. If there really is a problem with plagiarism, (which I do doubt), then Dygear, or mods would be able to close it. But until then don't dirty up the thread.
Quote from blackbird04217 :[...] this shouldn't be here. Switch to PM's guys and let this thread contain what it is meant to. [...]

While I tend to agree, I've been publicly slandered, and now I have to publicly defend myself. I do think I've presented enough evidence at this point where the issue can be put to bed. And I would like it if the first few posts of this thread where moved into another topic so the first thing that people see not the defamation of the project. If anyone wishes to continue this discussion I'm reachable via PM.
Ok. Leave sockets, everyone could do it that way.

But look at file with packets classes. In previous version of your InSim you had arrays and now you have a file with classes (not arrays) and it equals my (based on ripnet's PHPLFS) file. You copied our work and now you are publishing it as yours.
I'm not wanting to walk into a dispute, but having looked at the code for this and for PHPLFS, it seems they do bare a resemblance. However it appears PHPLFS is released under the Apache License 2.0 which allows derivative works, so long as they include the license and a prominent notice as to how it has been changed (give or take, I skimmed the license ). It seems that the issue with the code is not that it is derivative, but that it does not contain the required license and notices. The solution then is to add them.
Quote from Dygear :While I tend to agree, I've been publicly slandered, and now I have to publicly defend myself.

I understand, but really I don't see why you think you need to defend yourself, there has yet to be more than an accusation. It is only he said/she said... I'm not saying I would back off either, because I'd be down right upset if someone made remarks about my character like that - especially without direct proof.

Quote from misiek08 :Ok. Leave sockets, everyone could do it that way.

But look at file with packets classes. In previous version of your InSim you had arrays and now you have a file with classes (not arrays) and it equals my (based on ripnet's PHPLFS) file. You copied our work and now you are publishing it as yours.

Post the code that is in so much question of plagiarism. There are only so many ways that you can write "x = x + 1" in code. But really, back up your claims, with some solid proof. I'm not picking sides, I do have a bias towards one, but I will always remain open minded about anything/anybody. So please if you actually have proof post it.
@DarkTimes - yes. It is what I had to said. I was waiting for someone who will see this issue. It's breaking licence. Really? I would like to publish my PHP InSim System but I don't wonna do it because of some people. I think about people who wonna have everything but they don't know how to do. I will avoid 9999999....9999 questions about "How to do it?", "How to use it?".

@Dygear - add licence and I'll leave you.
Accusations of plagiarism and not including a license are on far different scales the way I see it. It is a case of simply forgetting, on the license where as plagiarism is known. One can be accidental while the other is certainly on purpose. You can't take back what you've done, but Dygear deserves a huge apology for claiming plagiarism over not including a license...

I am quite shocked that this was what it was about.
It's not my code, I've only edited it a bit. I'm willing to bet the morpha made this all by himself as well. However, looking over some of the other files, I can find my work that I gave away freely. The file InSim-Constants.inc is a direct copy of the defines.php file from this attachment here. I know my work when I see it, but I gave this to the community to use, and the reason why PHPInSim was released under the MIT license.

I don't mind people using my code, I don't even ask for credit. I just want LFS to succeed, and I want the programming community to have to same level of access as AMX Mod has to the HL engine. Both are far off at this point, but I can still offer the ease of programming that the AMX plugin devs enjoy. That is also far off at this point, but I hope that soon it will come.

@misiek08, look. I think there has been a misunderstanding here. I've not copied your code. I'm sure morpha did not copy your code also. But I'm not going to comply with adding the Apache license until I'm sure that's the best course for the project, and it will have nothing to do with this.

I'm not even so sure about the Apache license myself. I was thinking GPL, MIT or BSD. However, I tend to lean toward MIT myself, as I always have. As for the copyright, seeing as morpha seems to not want to go anything with the code anymore, and who could blame him after this? I'll retain his name in the Copyright along with myself, as a thank you, and take the code to where I see fit.
I need to implement a setTask function into the core. This will allow time'd events to fire correctly. Once that is done, I'll release the next version.
Ok. Dygear have 3 years more spend on this forum. I don't have any chance to have right...
Quote from filur :It is obviously based on PHPLFS by ripnet (http://sourceforge.net/projects/phplfs/files/) and needs to conform to the license.

Looking over the PHPLFS-1.2.tar.gz file, it's insane how close these two projects are. (Baring in mind, that I never looked at the PHPLFS project before, I am quite stunned.) Based on the code given to me by misiek08 as cited before I can concluded that the version he gave me, and the version produced here are not the same.

However, looking at the PHPLFS-1.2.tar.gz file and I'm not so sure any more. You see, when filur speaks, I sit up and take notice. So I looked into the file that he linked too, and I would have to say that these project files are indeed one and the same. There are some modifications, like the one that I have is a improvement on what is on the site there ...

I don't really know what to say at this point. I don't remember the conversation that I had with morpha when he gave the code to me 6 months ago ... but I am just a little worried at this point. I trust that morpha made this code himself and this is a spectacular case of simultaneous invention or he told me this was based off of PHPLFS and I just forgot ... Although I'm pretty sure that I would not rip out copyright and header information willy, nilly.

I'm sorry misiek08, with this new information I have not choice but to agree with you. And I'll remove the files now.
You don't need to remove the files, you just need to add the Apache 2.0 License and give credit to the original authors. As said the Apache license is pretty forgiving, it allows you to do pretty much anything you like so long as you put a notice explaining what's been done.
I have a current version that's better then the one I released, and I'd like to merge it back into PHPLFS, along with all of the other changes that morpha and myself have made. I've added timers into my version, and I'd like misiek08 and ripnet input.
Like someone before said: add the license only to your project. I think, you don't need to write authors of code but add license because ripnet did awesome InSim system and someone could take your code and relase it as private.
What I sent to Dygear is not based on PHPLFS, at least not knowingly. However I believe it is somewhat related to ripnet, who I think started coding a PHP based InSim framework (which I suppose is now PHPLFS) approximately 3 (?) years ago. I started coding pretty much right after I saw that, but apart from the idea itself, there should be no similarities other than generic code. I made the packet definitions from scratch, I wrote the socket classes, the basemodule might have been from ripnet's (then unlicenced) code but was altered significantly... Is it possible you somehow mixed up the code, Mark?

To clarify: I was already hosting a server with a running InSim application at the time. I met ripnet on the server and he invited me to a temporary server to show me his InSim. It was simple, did not use select on the socket, lacked a dynamic event system, did not include all packets (probably only the ones required for establishing a connection and sending messages)... Put simply, it was a stunning idea, but there wasn't really any code to base something upon.

Edit: After having looked at PHPLFS now, I can see why this discussion took the direction it took, but I guarantee I did not rip out any copyright notices or licence info. What I received was a proof-of-concept, connect to host, send and receive messages, but not much more. That was in late 2007. I distinctly remember implementing a simple button function to limit the button sending frequency (because it caused disconnects), as well as using select on the socket. I also remember writing the socket classes, particularly for UDP use because I intended to run the InSim locally. Either the whole thing is a huge coincidence, or code got shared without either side remembering it.

Another Edit:
Quote :1.2 2008-04-07 ripnet
* Enabled UDP for MCI packets
* Update Program class to include function updateButtons
- Button updates don't happen every single time with this function,
- only updated buttons will get to send a new IS_BTN(... msg

Colour me amused. The way I see it, ripnet shared a concept, I provided feedback in word and code and we went separate ways from there on. The resemblance in some areas is remarkable, but not really surprising. Granted, some things look too alike to be coincidence, but neither isphp nor the early code I received looked anything like PHPLFS does now. I will admit that I should have added ripnet's copyright, but let me emphasize once again that I did not remove it either, it wasn't there in the first place in the version I first received.

I'm confident that most of it that is not generic (after all, there are only so many ways one can implement event based, non-interactive, tcp/udp software, explaining to me why the socket classes and packet definitions are essentially identical) is in fact my code.

As I said in some other, semi-related topic, I've switched to pyinsim. You know why? Because if you port it to PHP, PHPLFS/isphp is what you get almost to the letter
Quote from morpha :Is it possible you somehow mixed up the code, Mark?

Nope, the code is what you gave me. I've made some edits, but I never really looked at the PHPLFS code, I was aware of it but I did not want anything to do with it because I still want event based programming system like AMX Mod, that I'm working on.

I've submitted the code I have added to yours to misiek08 for him to inspect, and he remains in the position that the code is of PHPLFS and that the license must be added. I don't know at this point. I believe that the code is yours because I've seen you program and this is well within your skill level.

Based off your reply, I must conclude, simultaneous invention.

If we can all agree we can move on, as I'm holding back 3 versions now.
Quote from Dygear :Based off your reply, I must conclude, simultaneous invention.

Seems very unlikely, it's far more conceivable that ripnet and I shared ideas and code and I just don't remember it. Is he still around? Perhaps he could enlighten us all.
Edit: And yes, let's move on, because PHPLFS apparently remains the sole surviver anyway.
Quote from morpha :Seems very unlikely, it's far more conceivable that ripnet and I shared ideas and code and I just don't remember it. Is he still around? Perhaps he could enlighten us all.

That's a good question, where is ripnet? Anyone heard from him? The last release for PHPLFS was 2008 ... That's not encouraging at all.

Quote from morpha :Edit: And yes, let's move on, because PHPLFS apparently remains the sole surviver anyway.

Would love to, just don't want to tread on anyone's toes.

PHP5 - InSim Mod.
(120 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG