The online racing simulator
Wireframes?
(9 posts, started )
Wireframes?
How do i make wireframes..I know Master Skinnerz have them..but i want to try and make my own..how would I go about doing this?
#2 - 5tag
You would need to render each part of the wireframe from the exact side, front, back or top (zero degrees field of view). You would then use the map info files (to be found in the CMX Viewer files) to resize and position the rendered frames. Of course for rendering the front you would have to leave out everything that does not belong to the front.

I'm not familiar with 3D editing or rendering, only skinning but I think that alone finding out which polygon of a bumper is mapped from the front and which from the side unless you want to use the MSz kits as a reference.

I don't know if you can render a scene with a transparent background so you'd get a transparent .png or whatever format to work with. If that is not possible render it on a black background, then in your image editing program choose the layer option "multiply negative".

I don't really know why you would want to do this or how much you know about the programs you would have to use so I'm not sure if this post is of any help.
Download and run 3D-Analyze
Click on SELECT and select VIEWER_S2.exe
Check "force wireframe mode"
Click on RUN

You can now create screenshots of the wireframe models.
#4 - 5tag
Quote from Test Driver :Download and run 3D-Analyze
Click on SELECT and select VIEWER_S2.exe
Check "force wireframe mode"
Click on RUN

You can now create screenshots of the wireframe models.

If creating screenshots really means what it is it won't be of much help.
Unless he's got a monitor width of 3000 pixels the outcome will not be of better quality than the MSz wireframes or as another option he will have to take hundreds of screenshots.
I'm currently working on this exact problem as I'm looking to create some new skin templates and want good quality wireframes for them. The solution I have come up with is to import the car models into Blender (which fortunately has already been done with Bogey Jammer's Ready to Render kits). The next step is to convert the wireframe mesh to bezier curves and then to use this Blender plugin to export the curves to SVG format. It's slow going at the moment as I get to grips with Blender, but I hope this will produce good results eventually. Another caveat is that the Blender file is about 2 years old - I'm not sure if or how any car models may have changed since then, so I may have to consider learning how to import the car models into Blender myself to ensure I am using the latest models.
#6 - 5tag
Quote from ajcham :I'm currently working on this exact problem as I'm looking to create some new skin templates and want good quality wireframes for them. The solution I have come up with is to import the car models into Blender (which fortunately has already been done with Bogey Jammer's Ready to Render kits). The next step is to convert the wireframe mesh to bezier curves and then to use this Blender plugin to export the curves to SVG format. It's slow going at the moment as I get to grips with Blender, but I hope this will produce good results eventually. Another caveat is that the Blender file is about 2 years old - I'm not sure if or how any car models may have changed since then, so I may have to consider learning how to import the car models into Blender myself to ensure I am using the latest models.

As far as I know the XR and XF models have changed with patch Z (enough to effect skinning at least a bit).
Quote from 5tag :You would need to render each part of the wireframe from the exact side, front, back or top (zero degrees field of view). You would then use the map info files (to be found in the CMX Viewer files) to resize and position the rendered frames. Of course for rendering the front you would have to leave out everything that does not belong to the front.

I'm not familiar with 3D editing or rendering, only skinning but I think that alone finding out which polygon of a bumper is mapped from the front and which from the side unless you want to use the MSz kits as a reference.

I don't know if you can render a scene with a transparent background so you'd get a transparent .png or whatever format to work with. If that is not possible render it on a black background, then in your image editing program choose the layer option "multiply negative".

I don't really know why you would want to do this or how much you know about the programs you would have to use so I'm not sure if this post is of any help.

This post made me laugh, sorry, no help
#8 - Gunn
The wire frames in the Master Skinnerz Pro Kits are made from data pulled directly from the CMX files included with the CMX Viewer. A custom-made program is used to do this, any decent graphics programmer should be able to make a similar tool, or at least understand how one might be made. The program can also pull just the 'faces' of each poly, which is a neat trick but of no real value for skinning.

The data from both the points (nodes) and sides (edges) of each triangle is used to create a metafile. There are various types of metafile that will work, wmf works fine.

The resulting wmf file is not quite square but it's an easy job to rescale it perfectly to whatever resolution desired (MSz kits have a 2048 x 2048 size by default, but a few rare kits have been made at higher resolutions for particular groups in the community and were not released publicly).

The wmf is then imported into Corel Draw and 'cleaned up' by hand for clearer viewing/skinning and to make the whole thing easier to understand. Individual 'wires' (edges of triangles in each poly) can be selected and removed as individual objects, which is what they now are - individual vector objects.

The finest line thickness possible is used in Corel to reduce pixelation when the final product is exported as a PSD. Since PSD is not a vector format the quality suffers slightly but the result is still very good.

*One kit (the XFG) was also made in SVG format. The only way this would work was to convert the various elements of the Pro Kit to eps and then import them into Inkscape, and finally export to SVG. Other methods tested failed to keep the kit and its layers/detail perfectly intact.

Because of the method used, the wire frames included in the Master Skinnerz Pro Kits have no background and can easily be placed on top of artwork without hiding it from view. The lines remain fairly clean after the PSD conversion because the data used to create the PSD was vector data, not a JPG or bitmap etc.

It is not difficult to export the Corel file (CDR) to various different formats including AI, EPS and other lossless formats, however in order to protect the hard work of the author and partly because most people don't use vector programs, the MSz kits were produced in PSD format (apart from a few rare examples as eluded to in the above text).

So in brief:

- Pull the data from the CMX mesh and make it a metafile.

- Import the metafile in into a vector program such as Corel Draw (or Adobe Illustrator).

- Make sure it is rescaled to square dimensions.

- Clean up the congested areas like door and bonnet seams, mirror stem polys etc. (if desired).

- Export as PSD, or whatever format you want to use with your graphics software, or better still make your skins in the vector program and export to JPG or DDS directly.

Hope this helps. Please don't message me any questions 'cos that's all I know!
#9 - 5tag
Now that I think about it I wonder why wire frames made of paths instead of pixels were never released, or were they?

Wireframes?
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG