(24 posts, started )
#1 - ker2x
[PIC] best DRIFT ever !
See attached pic
Attached images
sten-heel.jpg
Ok? use inevitable pics thread
#3 - 5haz
Needs some stiffer springs and anti roll bars.
#4 - BAMBO
That's a massive inclination! But judging from the fact that there are to aircraft on it, I guess it was one of those tests they run before putting it in action.
Quote from BAMBO :That's a massive inclination! But judging from the fact that there are to aircraft on it, I guess it was one of those tests they run before putting it in action.

There *were* aircraft on it, they're a couple of miles further back now
#6 - BAMBO
Quote from Crashgate3 :There *were* aircraft on it, they're a couple of miles further back now

Well that's a nice way of looking at it Just noticed that a part of the crew are on the deck. Loonies!
I freakin' loled when I saw it...
Looks more like understeer to me
Quote from BAMBO :That's a massive inclination!

Quote from BAMBO :Well that's a nice way of looking at it Just noticed that a part of the crew are on the deck. Loonies!

Please tell me you are joking, this is pathetic! (and it's called "rolling" not "inclination")
#10 - 5haz
List be the correct nautical term sir?
Quote from 5haz :List be the correct nautical term sir?

No. Well... not quite. Roll is when the vessel rolls from left to right in the waves, or when it's making a maneuvre. List is a lasting state, when the vessel maintains it's angle, usually due to bad weight distribution when loading, or if the cargo breaks loose
#12 - 5haz
Fair enough.
No-one be correctin' Cap'n Squidhead on his nautical terms, aaarrr..
I bet it handles like a boat!

OK, I'll get my coat...
And i just found the worst drift ever
Attached images
74bf008e25dd9dda601181c8a74cc2e0.jpg
Quote from squidhead :
Please tell me you are joking, this is pathetic! (and it's called "rolling" not "inclination")

For something which is around 20 stories tall, that is quite massive IMO.
Quote from BAMBO :For something which is around 20 stories tall, that is quite massive IMO.

Those are some small stories you have in mind then, cause it's flight deck is barely 25-30 meters above the water...аnd having 12 meters of draft helps, AND that's a pathetic angle for any vessel, let alone a war ship
#18 - 5haz
Quote from squidhead :Those are some small stories you have in mind then, cause it's flight deck is barely 25-30 meters above the water...аnd having 12 meters of draft helps, AND that's a pathetic angle for any vessel, let alone a war ship

30 metres is a long way to fall.

The angle may not be that extreme, but I'm sure its quite fun and scary when you're on the deck, I'd like to try.

I wouldn't however, like to be onboard this. Is it me or can you actually see the whole ship flexing?
Quote from 5haz :30 metres is a long way to fall.

The angle may not be that extreme, but I'm sure its quite fun and scary when you're on the deck, I'd like to try.

I wouldn't however, like to be onboard this. Is it me or can you actually see the whole ship flexing?

It's not "fun" or "scary" to be honest... it's annoying... especially if you're hitting rough weather for 10-12 days straight The link however, yeah, that's severe, but I didn't see flex, but it should be there, otherwise it'd just fall apart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE_ri8PkihE

here, starting from 0:13 - you can see the scale of the flexing
-
(-NightFly-) DELETED by -NightFly-
Quote from 5haz :30 metres is a long way to fall.

That's almost exactly how Estonia sunk in 1993.
Quote from hp999 :That's almost exactly how Estonia sunk in 1993.

She sunk (in 1994 by the way) because the bow visor to car deck locks couldn't hold the stress when the vessel nose dived off the waves, making it a design flaw, not hull flex problems. Besides, the hull flex is a good thing, if the hull woudln't flex, the whole ship would break apart in rough weather much sooner.

Also the utter incompetence of the crew played it's part (Listen to Estonia's distress signal on YT - it's completely out of mandatory format. If you're issuing a "mayday" then the first thing coming out of your mouth over the radio would be "Mayday mayday mayday, Estonia, Estonia, Estonia". Afterwards you state your location and what's wrong (you might be attacked by pirates, as well as sinking and all). November and Charlie flags should also be raised if there's still time.
Quote from squidhead :She sunk (in 1994 by the way) because the bow visor to car deck locks couldn't hold the stress when the vessel nose dived off the waves, making it a design flaw, not hull flex problems. Besides, the hull flex is a good thing, if the hull woudln't flex, the whole ship would break apart in rough weather much sooner.

Also the utter incompetence of the crew played it's part (Listen to Estonia's distress signal on YT - it's completely out of mandatory format. If you're issuing a "mayday" then the first thing coming out of your mouth over the radio would be "Mayday mayday mayday, Estonia, Estonia, Estonia". Afterwards you state your location and what's wrong (you might be attacked by pirates, as well as sinking and all). November and Charlie flags should also be raised if there's still time.

Ye,1994,sorry.

In any way,what I meant under 'almost' is the bow visor coming open in the video,which 5haz posted. You can see that starting from 0:30.

As my mum works on the sea,she told me that they didn't really do any exercising/training at those times. After Estonia sunk,Tallink got into... let's say 'meaner' mood and started to kinda like,force people to do it. And they're still doing it,rather strictly. She also told me that no one exactly knows it,whether the metal just gave up,or it really was an design flaw. I'm thinking it was an design flaw, as Ro-Ro(can't remember the type,pardon me if I'm wrong) type ships aren't built anymore exactly,because of that. For example,in SuperFast 8 ferry(which is on the course of Turku-Rostock?),it has got such bow visors,that it has got metal teeth,so the more the ship shakes,the more it forces both halves together. It has got two layers of them(or even 3,I can't remember),so if even one layer of them breaks,the other layer 'begins to work'. But yeah,thank god my mum wasn't on Estonia that day!
Quote from hp999 :Ye,1994,sorry.

Tallink got into... let's say 'meaner' mood and started to kinda like,force people to do it.

It's still rather bad actually, I've been on their ferry once, and they actually had a notice to "USE ELEVATORS DURING FIRE OR DISTRESS"... I know Im not setting foot on any of their vessels under any circumstances
Yah,especially during fires,the elevators are like deathtraps. But from the other hand,in a ferry,you haven't got that much room as you do in a house.

[PIC] best DRIFT ever !
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG