The online racing simulator
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Schiphol is still partly opened, I hope they are thinking clearly there. =/

I was meant to be flying into Schipol today, but alas, my current location is my bathroom toilet.

I've managed to get on abflight tomorrow. Let's hope it isn't effected by the next horseman of the apocalypse, by bet is on locusts.
Tomorrow its also closed here. Nobody gets into this country, go away!
Quote from anttt69 :hold on this image says differently. I would have thought that central & southern Britain would have been ok but ive already seen 3 different versions of the cloud location . I guess only those in the know, know.

If you take a closer look, you will see that your map says 15 April 0600 GMT, whereas Jack's map appears to be a forecast for 16 April 0000 GMT.
First Björk and now this.
Quote from cargame.nl :Tomorrow its also closed here. Nobody gets into this country, go away!

Grrr, it's a distinct possibility. They're hoping the cloud dissipates so it's "closed until further notice" at the moment, and I'm hoping that by the evening everything will be back to normal as I was planning on being at Kors on Saturday. :/
Do a little rain dance... Might help
Slightly OT, but... What a coincidence! The day I'm at NATS, there's a spokesman outside doing a piece to camera about a major event... How weird is that.

For any aviation "geeks" out there, it's interesting to see the effect this is having on North Atlantic tracks. The two images below from JetPlan show a normal day (yesterday, Eastbound) and tomorrow's plan (West, ash upto FL550):
Attached images
ntpasig12.gif
ntpzsig12.gif
It's a floating cloud of ash then it cannot be solid, so why do people think it will break windshields and shit? they protect the windscreens and engines from bird strikes, and from our own experience we all know a bird of any kind, is harder than ash.......
Quote from BlueFlame :It's a floating cloud of ash then it cannot be solid, so why do people think it will break windshields and shit? they protect the windscreens and engines from bird strikes, and from our own experience we all know a bird of any kind, is harder than ash.......

Obviously somebody has not even seen 5 minutes of the news, as they explain the reason its much harsher .
Quote from franky500 :Obviously somebody has not even seen 5 minutes of the news, as they explain the reason its much harsher .

You don't ever hear of raining debris from a volcano that is more than 500km away. So it's only logical to call bullshit on the whole thing.
Quote from BlueFlame :Of course, rocks that float magically in the air?

Even a small-ish stone is going to do a heck of a lot of damage at 500mph.
nobody said anything about "raining" debris. its not about what comes down, its what stays up.
By some magical premise that the cloud of ash is holding the stones in the air, after 500km the cloud will have dispersed enough that the stones drop out the bottom. Either way it's aload of nonsense.

Using logic in your own home you can just blow sand out of the palm of your hand and it may be lifted by a gust of wind, but it will disperse very quickly and not pose a threat to anything in the air.
Actually the BBC don't mention anywhere about windshields, only engines.
Quote from BlueFlame :By some magical premise that the cloud of ash is holding the stones in the air, after 500km the cloud will have dispersed enough that the stones drop out the bottom. Either way it's aload of nonsense.

Using logic in your own home you can just blow sand out of the palm of your hand and it may be lifted by a gust of wind, but it will disperse very quickly and not pose a threat to anything in the air.

well not really when a number of aircraft have suffered near crashes in the past due to engine flame outs in volcanic ash. So please stop talking out of your arse.

Off topic my mum saw a really low helicopter today and I bet the ATC have really enjoyed not having any work load.
Quote from Luke.S :well not really when a number of aircraft have suffered near crashes in the past due to engine flame outs in volcanic ash. So please stop talking out of your arse.

Off topic my mum saw a really low helicopter today and I bet the ATC have really enjoyed not having any work load.

But that's due to the bits of ash getting in the engines, rather than big stones smashing the windscreens.
Quote from J@tko :But that's due to the bits of ash getting in the engines, rather than big stones smashing the windscreens.

i wasn't talking about smashing. Speed bird 9 had trouble landing due to her windscreen becoming basically opaque due to basically being sandblasted.
Quote from BlueFlame :and from our own experience we all know a bird of any kind, is harder than ash.......

Christ just had a horrible thought....

..imagine pissing of a bird named Ashley who everyone called Ash!!
BlueFlame your argument is ridiculous.
How does hail stay up in clouds?

Oh sorry thats impossible.

Quote from BlueFlame :By some magical premise that the cloud of ash is holding the stones in the air, after 500km the cloud will have dispersed enough that the stones drop out the bottom. Either way it's aload of nonsense.

I dont know much more about volcanoes than a kid armed with a junior encyclopedia but I do know that volcanic ash is highly corrosive. You dont die of lava in a volcano erruption, you die of asphyxiation from the ash. And you want to fly through it?

Hey i'm missing out on holiday here but i'm quite happy to sit it out, this would be on account of the not being stupid part of me.

Hell maybe I got my facts wrong afterall I dont claim to know much about that subject that a 7 year old wouldn't know, but people cleverer than me are saying it's really bad to fly into a cloud of volcanic ash - and I am quite happy to believe them.

What's your conspiracy theory anyway? The government is staging an attempt at lowering our Co2 emmissions to hit EU targets or we're clearing the skies so that the alien mothership can meet the master moo cow?
Quote from Becky Rose :I dont know much more about volcanoes than a kid armed with a junior encyclopedia but I do know that volcanic ash is highly corrosive. You dont die of lava in a volcano erruption, you die of asphyxiation from the ash. And you want to fly through it?

Hey i'm missing out on holiday here but i'm quite happy to sit it out, this would be on account of the not being stupid part of me.

Hell maybe I got my facts wrong afterall I dont claim to know much about that subject that a 7 year old wouldn't know, but people cleverer than me are saying it's really bad to fly into a cloud of volcanic ash - and I am quite happy to believe them.

What's your conspiracy theory anyway? The government is staging an attempt at lowering our Co2 emmissions to hit EU targets or we're clearing the skies so that the alien mothership can meet the master moo cow?

let him less idiots in the world
#49 - JJ72
Quote from BlueFlame :It's a floating cloud of ash then it cannot be solid, so why do people think it will break windshields and shit? they protect the windscreens and engines from bird strikes, and from our own experience we all know a bird of any kind, is harder than ash.......

suspended particles are indeed, solid.
#50 - 5haz
Obviously also there are a lot of strong air currents in the upper atmosphere, lots of energy, easily enough to keep fine particles airborne for a long time.

Volcanic ash is nasty stuff, if it gets into your lungs it doesn't just asphyxiate you by clogging them, its very sharp and cuts them to shreds too.

Fragments of pumice could also get quite far seeing as its very light, but the Volcanoes in Iceland aren't the kind that produce pumice.

Ash alone won't break a windshield, but if theres enough of it it will give the aircraft surface a good sandblasting, with the BA 747 mentioned earlier the pilots had to land blind because ash had blasted and stuck to the windscreen.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG