The online racing simulator
#1 - Jakg
Elderly motorists 'safer than younger drivers'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8618992.stm

For extra "WTF" points:

Quote :63% of journeys by over-70s are either as a driver or passenger

Wonder what the other 37% was...

Who comes up with this utter drivel?!
Well i won't say i disagree.. Today one 18 year old idiot tried going through my car.. i guess i forgot to switch cloak mode off..
Quote from Jakg :Who comes up with this utter drivel?!

The BBC who use your money to pay for someone to sit at a computer and put that there instead of doing something actually productive

The reality is the RAC probably have a high percentage of customers who are elderly so naturally forcing them to retake tests would impact their business. It's fair enough of course that the RAC have a right to publish their findings however bias they may be.
Quote from Jakg :Wonder what the other 37% was...

It says journeys, not car journeys, so my guess is the remaining 37% travel by foot (or a form of public transport, but that would make them passengers)
#5 - Migz
Yes obviously old people are so much safer.
This would be why i had an old person pull out directly infront of me last week without indicating or looking to see if anyone was there, causing me to superman over there bonnet.
Yes sooooo much safer.
Quote from Migz :Yes obviously old people are so much safer.
This would be why i had an old person pull out directly infront of me last week without indicating or looking to see if anyone was there, causing me to superman over there bonnet.
Yes sooooo much safer.

I will cancel that out when a young female turned left without looking and nearly crashed into me. Had I not had cat like reactions it coulda been carnage.

Single one-off occurrences don't make a case
#7 - Migz
Quote from Intrepid :I will cancel that out when a young female turned left without looking and nearly crashed into me. Had I not had cat like reactions it coulda been carnage.

Single one-off occurrences don't make a case

Explains everything.
Uncancelled due to it being a female.
A female of any age will 99% of the time be a terrible driver.
Safer is broad in one sense really; elderly drivers will properly be mentally safer than younger drivers but with age we become frailer...more vulnerable to drastic health conditions, our eyesight generally gets worse as so do our reactions.

Everyone has the potential to be a safe driver....AKA...use common sense and planning, but even the safest driver can have a lapse of concentration or a heart attack at the wheel.

I only agree mandatory health check ups, and eye tests when you hit 65+ every few years.
il tell you why, this study was done by the people of RAC, that car cant even keep straight!
-
(JO53PHS) DELETED by JO53PHS
Honestly - the BBC are just plain ridiculous.
But to be fair, the BBC is plain ridiculous IMO anyway. If you go to university, and you buy a licence to watch your TV in the kitchen, with your friends, you can't watch it in your bedroom, as the address is different. Even if the rooms are right next to each other. My brother can't get a signal in the bedroom, but has a WinTV. He isn't allowed to use it though, as the licence doesn't cover his bedroom :/.
Sweeping generalization.....

Young drivers, are on the whole, dangerous, they all think they are tasty drivers and the normal rules of the road don't apply to them.

Old drivers are, on the whole, blind and slow, therefore dangerous.

Which is more dangerous?, no idea, about the same to me.

I'd say 90% of drivers, regardless of age, are CRAP, the amount of people who have no idea of lane discapline, roundabouts, rights of way, indication and just general road sense is unbelieveable.

Compulsary retests for EVERYONE, every 5 or so years is the only way to go.
Quote from shaun463 :But to be fair, the BBC is plain ridiculous IMO anyway. If you go to university, and you buy a licence to watch your TV in the kitchen, with your friends, you can't watch it in your bedroom, as the address is different. Even if the rooms are right next to each other. My brother can't get a signal in the bedroom, but has a WinTV. He isn't allowed to use it though, as the licence doesn't cover his bedroom :/.

That's off-topic

My brother's an unsafe driver too. He's 21 years old, and he failed to see a truck pull out in front of him.

Driving is all about concentration and dedication, in my opinion. A mistake can have great consequences, which is why I always pay attention and double check left and right when I approach a junction.

edit: What Danowat said
Safe or unsafe, seeing a 75+ year old elderly behind a wheel of a new BMW M3 is both hilarious and painful.

(Yes, you do get those)
Quote from danowat :I'd say 90% of drivers, regardless of age, are CRAP, the amount of people who have no idea of lane discapline, roundabouts, rights of way, indication and just general road sense is unbelieveable.

As my mum says, "treat every other road user as a complete idiot"

Then again, I did cut someone up on a roundabout the other day
Quote from DevilDare :Safe or unsafe, seeing a 75+ year old elderly behind a wheel of a new BMW M3 is both hilarious and painful.

(Yes, you do get those)

BMW's (and to a lesser extent, Audi's and Merc's) are an automatic signal that the driver probably has no clue how to drive.
Quote from danowat :BMW's (and to a lesser extent, Audi's and Merc's) are an automatic signal that the driver probably has no clue how to drive.

That's a bit of a silly point, and one that often annoys me, generalizing people by the cars they drive.
Sweeping generalization?, yeah, of course, but does that make the statement any less true?, nope.

The vast majority of BMW drivers don't indicate.
Quote from danowat :BMW's (and to a lesser extent, Audi's and Merc's) are an automatic signal that the driver probably has no clue how to drive.

Fag. Why don't you just say that rich people can't drive. Manufactuer have nothing to do with it. Can't understand you people.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Fag. Why don't you just say that rich people can't drive. Manufactuer have nothing to do with it. Can't understand you people.

FFS try and learn to be polite you little snotty brat. The "fag" wasn't needed at all... grow up already. :slap:
Quote from jibber :FFS try and learn to be polite you little snotty brat. The "fag" wasn't needed at all... grow up already. :slap:

Yeah internet is the place where you look for polite people. No thx, not saving my words.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Yeah internet is the place where you look for polite people. No thx, not saving my words.

I wish you good luck in your life with that attitude.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Fag. Why don't you just say that rich people can't drive. Manufactuer have nothing to do with it. Can't understand you people.

LOL

You don't have to be "rich" to drive a BMW, Audi or Merc, any joe can get one!!!.

Certain makes tend to attract a certain "level" of person, its just the way it is

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG