SSL Round 1: The Streets of South City: Part I
The Streets of South City: Part I
Track: South City Long (SO4)
Date: April 11th, 2010
Time:
  • 2000 UTC - 20 minute open qualifying
  • 2030 UTC - 10 lap sprint race
  • 2100 UTC - 20 lap feature race w/ pit stop
One of my favorite tracks, no wonder it's first in the series.

Replays can be found on spdo database.
#2 - IMOL
Well... It's quite a long race cause this track isn't short and the car's slow... But i hope the races will be fun!
Quote from IMOL :Well... It's quite a long race cause this track isn't short and the car's slow... But i hope the races will be fun!

from my point of view this will be the most fun race of the league. I AM prepared to change my opinion though as the season unfolds
Well done admins!
While the admins did just fine, some credit must go to the racers. While I'm sure there were questionable or reviewable moves, it seems that this race managed to avoid a lot of the mayhem that seems to be plaguing some LFS series.
My sprint race was going fine, I managed to find someone to fight for position, but timed out (a little weird; not a hint of lag, then blam-o). Starting from far back in the main race, I again found the same racer to fight.
Perhaps a highlight was the fuel starvation of Seb and Wilko, in what appears to be exactly the same spot. Seb was nice enough to let me push him around for a bit until we ran into pik-d.
Quote from JayEyeBee :While the admins did just fine, some credit must go to the racers. While I'm sure there were questionable or reviewable moves, it seems that this race managed to avoid a lot of the mayhem that seems to be plaguing some LFS series.
My sprint race was going fine, I managed to find someone to fight for position, but timed out (a little weird; not a hint of lag, then blam-o). Starting from far back in the main race, I again found the same racer to fight.
Perhaps a highlight was the fuel starvation of Seb and Wilko, in what appears to be exactly the same spot. Seb was nice enough to let me push him around for a bit until we ran into pik-d.

We meant to do that...

Was good racing for me. I totally failed in Race 1 by having 3% fuel onboard. Race 2 was going great, and then me and Reno had some 'fun' and then I managed to clout my new team mate Ed rather hard! :doh:

And then of course, me and Seb failed.
The race was fun for us to watch, that's for sure.

There were a few incidents we're going to look at, although we're not sure yet what will come of it. Generally speaking, we'll try to avoid issuing penalties unless somebody does something obviously stupid and/or dangerous, or someone files a protest.

As a bit of advice (I won't say "warning" because it has a bad connotation), some of you could be a little less rough on each other next time around.

All in all, it went really well for us. It was a bit of a learning experience (first time running a race, after all), and there are a few things we'll be better prepared for next time. Also, be prepared for at least two rules clarifications, we'll notify all the participants so nobody gets blindsided.

Seems like most everybody is happy with how it went, which is the most important thing to us.

Edit: also of note, there weren't any pit exit infractions in the feature and only one (SEB SEB SEB SEB SEB) in the sprint. You guys (not Seb) are all pretty smart, congrats.
#9 - pik_d
I'm glad people seem to have enjoyed it. Was definitely a success in my book, having 20 start on the grids. I may not have done so well but that's quite better than me doing well because only 6 people show up.

Also I moved a few posts because this is the event thread
Quote from tmehlinger :Edit: also of note, there weren't any pit exit infractions in the feature and only one (SEB SEB SEB SEB SEB) in the sprint. You guys (not Seb) are all pretty smart, congrats.

I nearly did! I was so bloody close and thought "I'd better not do that." and went "Aaaaah!" back into the exit lines!
Quote from Wilko868 :I nearly did! I was so bloody close and thought "I'd better not do that." and went "Aaaaah!" back into the exit lines!

Yes, that was borderline.
Had I been in a bad mood.......

Was really great racing from a spectator's point of view. Some intense battles, and very view numpty-moves.

Thanks for keeping it so clean, see you next round.
me and chirs ran out of fuel in the same place
i was gonna be 5th
Well I had fun, the event was well organised and looked clean from my driving seat. Thanks to the admins and all who raced.

I have been resting an injury which means that I couldn't put in more than 20 laps of practice the day before the event, and apart from that hadn't driven LFS at all in over a month. I was definitely feeling a bit rusty so just aimed to stay out of trouble.

Sprint race:
Was fun. Myself and Bjornson were put a bit back from the rest of the pack after a T1 problem caused by another driver, but we had a nice fight between us for most of the race. The other driver was penalised already so I won't say any more on that one. Sadly Bjornson lost connection with a few laps to go, so we missed out on an exciting finish to the race and I inherited P15 from him.

Feature race:
Was going quite well, until with a few laps to go realised I didn't have enough fuel to make it to the end. After a second pit stop, I exited the pits alongside Solom and we had a battle for the last laps, with a final lap, last corner overtake to earn me P16.
Quote from Seb66 :me and chirs ran out of fuel in the same place
i was gonna be 5th

Sucks for you, but you have to admit it was pretty damn funny.
Quote from tmehlinger :Sucks for you, but you have to admit it was pretty damn funny.

It was. Seb's fault though.
Quote from Wilko868 :It was. Seb's fault though.

I found out in LLWS that Seb is pretty much the worst at thinking about fuel during a race. I think he finished with like >50% fuel one time.
I enjoyed racing this round, and the organisation was very good - it all seemed to run smoothly.
Racing standard on the whole was good & clean & I had some nice battles. I did seem to be on the 'smelly' end of several peoples mis-judged moves though, losing a lot of places overall, and I hope that isn't going to continue through the season!

Still very enjoyable though.
Quote from Kiyoshi :I enjoyed racing this round, and the organisation was very good - it all seemed to run smoothly.
Racing standard on the whole was good & clean & I had some nice battles. I did seem to be on the 'smelly' end of several peoples mis-judged moves though, losing a lot of places overall, and I hope that isn't going to continue through the season!

Still very enjoyable though.

Sorry Ed!
Quote from Kiyoshi :Racing standard on the whole was good & clean & I had some nice battles.

You should have run closer to Seb, Wilko, and Reno, it was like watching three toddlers in a hamster wheel full of coffee tables.
That was hard to beat these XFG's. They were so much faster in 2nd sector and then i didnt catch them on straight and.. Every lap, again and again. But it was fun atleast.. Seb's maths brains isn't the bests.
I put the right amount in for 10 laps during practice, based on the estimate in the garage, and after 9 laps saw that it wasn't enough so I upped it by a couple of % for the race.

How much extra weight is a couple of % of fuel anyway?
In the garage on the left you can put fuel in and the weight in the "Info" tab on the bottom will take this into account.

The fuel in LFS is freakin retarded though, it always seems to round down. If you spectate someone who runs out of fuel, you'll hear their engine die before they actually run out of fuel because the fuel percentage rounded down to the nearest 1/10th (0.0, instead of 0.04%). Seems like the same thing happens with fuel calculations.

If you type /w f on track it'll give you your actual fuel consumption to the nearest 1/100th instead of 1/10th. Use that instead, but I personally always take that then add 2% to be absolutely safe.
My question was more rhetorical. 2% in an xfg is not going make a noticible difference to the speed of the xfg.

A real question. When do we get official results and a league table?

My own little story.

In the feature race I lost out to my own ignorance of how to switch off damage repair in pits. I started in 2nd place on the grid but I was side swiped in turn one and although I managed to maintain 2nd place by the end of the second lap, I lost a couple places waiting for a minor damage repair during my mandatory pit stop. Then a couple more as people who didn't stop on 2nd lap managed to pit and stay ahead of me. I then had a bit of a battle with the guy who came 3rd for about 10 laps losing in the end as I braked too late for the hairpin and also had a few more pass me.

Was great fun and I look forward to next week's race.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG