The online racing simulator
My mate just bought the Momo from Pixmania (normally steer clear of PM)...only place that stocks it atm (Europe)... I have the old red version of the momo and love it to bits... Solid wheel, leather wheel, tactile paddles...let down by squishy pedals...but I suppose a stronger spring would solve that!
Quote from danowat :Driving force pro, if you are feeling flush add a Frex kit and a Momo 11 wheel to it, then when the pedals go TU, get some others.

Darkplanets for £58.98 > http://www.darkplanets.co.uk/p ... ech-driving-force-pro.asp

Dan,

I have a momo force, and for me, excellent wheel. Yes pedals are iffy, like the DFP i must add, and need maintanence once a while, if done properly.

But adding to what dan said, if you can afford it, get it, its awesome. Just feels to much better. I had popped over to his to try it.
DFP is a fine wheel, and I would recommend it as the best mass market wheel. The large rotation is handled perfectly in LFS. Set the game controller to 720 degrees and LFS to 720 degrees and no matter which car you drive, the steering lock of the DFP is correct. You get used to the 'set and forget' nature of the setup in LFS, despite the huge range of cars, so it's amazing how annoying the lack of support for this in nKP is, especially as you can't alt-tab out of nKP to make adjustments. (OT: It's amazing how many little things in LFS are done so thoroughly well it highlights the shortcomings of other products).

I went from the Wingman Formula Force (original red one) which was smooth, precise and quiet. It had very delicate FF due to being cable driven rather than gears and had nice gear paddles. It's two main let downs were the short travel pedals (although they never had problems) and the very low steering lock (approx 180 degrees). It offered years of reliable use and was perfect for single seater sims such as GPL - it still works like new but I mothballed it as I wanted longer travel pedals and larger rotation.

The DFP by contrast is noisy (although once I have my headphones on I don't notice) and the gears do mean the FF is not as subtle as the WFF, but the wheel does feel indestructible. The very small gear shift paddles (more like switches) feel odd at first, but it only takes an hour or two to get totally used to them. The pedals are (compared to the WFF) pretty good, offering much finer control due to the longer travel. I have both the original design (small blue pots like the MOMO) and the new design (larger metal pots). I've had to take both apart to clean the pots as they got noisy/spiky, but the new design is much sturdier. The beauty of the pedal bars in LFS is that you can see when you're having pedal problems allowing you to stop and sort them out before causing too much mayhem online!

Current prices here in the US are around $100, so 60-70 quid sounds right, and considering how much I paid for my trusty Wingman Formula Force back in 1999 (and the various shite wheels I had before that), it's a bargain.
OK it happened, Stoney bought a DFP! Watch out on track on Tuesday guys!!
#31 - JTbo
Quote from mkinnov8 :OK it happened, Stoney bought a DFP! Watch out on track on Tuesday guys!!

From LFS main folder, open cfg.txt, find line FF Steps, type 256 save and quit, that will make FF effects much better, also set centering spring from profile to 0% and also those spring+damper effects to 0%. Then if wheel feels sticky you need to push select+R3+left paddle behind wheel simultaneously and you get different force feedback, works better with LFS, push those again to get original back.

With those changes my dfp feels totally different wheel, with default settings it was nearly impossible to feel car...
I would never get anything made for a Console/PS2 and no matter what others say lol. I will stick with the MOMO Racing again if this one goes to hell...if nothing better is made by the time but for PC!
Quote from Sawyer :I would never get anything made for a Console/PS2 and no matter what others say lol. I will stick with the MOMO Racing again if this one goes to hell...if nothing better is made by the time but for PC!

You do that matey, but the DFP isnt MADE for the PS2, it is MARKETED for the PS2, BIG difference.

Stick with whatever, but you would be missing out on one of the best wheels on the market

Dan,
Quote from pb32000 :I bought a MOMO over a DFP because a) I wanted good paddles, b) I didnt want 900 degree rotation, c) I much prefer the look of the momo, d) I wanted to be able to move the gear shifter to the left side and e) I didnt want my wheel plastered with playstation buttons. All little things but the momo suited my needs best.

Exactly what you said. I never had any problems with it. Using the latest software.
Quote from Rob76 :The beauty of the pedal bars in LFS is that you can see when you're having pedal problems allowing you to stop and sort them out before causing too much mayhem online!

Good point. I really miss those in other games. It's annoying to always check the controllers screen if the pedals are bugging or not.

Quote from JTbo :From LFS main folder, open cfg.txt, find line FF Steps, type 256 save and quit, that will make FF effects much better

What does this exactly do? Never heard or this before. Default value seems to be 128.
FF Steps 256

Yup I set mine to that- it's really nice and smooth FF too.
So is there a definite list of things to setup a DFP for LFS...
Quote from Seahorse :So is there a definite list of things to setup a DFP for LFS...

There are lots of threads concerning wheel setup, like this: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=6345

Quote from BWX232 :FF Steps 256

Yup I set mine to that- it's really nice and smooth FF too.

But you don't know what it exactly does? Just smoothens the FF, how? I guess this works for every wheel (I have black MOMO) and not recommended only for DFP?
I didn't feel any difference with a MOMO Racing, but it did make me wonder if there's a maximum value, and what happens to the wheel if it's exceeded (think: damage)?
Gear changing with your right hand !? Did our once great empire not teach any of you anything?
DFP and you lefties can use the paddle shifters
#44 - JTbo
Quote from deggis :Good point. I really miss those in other games. It's annoying to always check the controllers screen if the pedals are bugging or not.

What does this exactly do? Never heard or this before. Default value seems to be 128.

Those my suggestions are picked from that dfp thread

I don't know what it actually does, but I do know how it changed feeling of force feedback. I get much more effects, before wheel was quite dead at cornering, it had only this sticky thing.
When I changed FF Steps to 256 I started to really feel the car, at corners I can feel how grip is changing etc. Also I feel curbs more often, but still under left tire curbs are not usually causing any effect, but under right tire rather normal now, maybe a bug or something.

I have tested this at 512 and it felt just bit better, however my fps decreased a bit.

I guess from name that it is resolution of force feedback, even it feels like update rate of ff effects.
Quote from mkinnov8 :WOW!

Where? When? How Much? HOW? and I want it now!

Where > http://www.frex.com/gp/ , wheel from any motorsport outlet
When > takes about a month to ship
How much > £100+ (depending on the wheel)
How > about an hours worth of screwdriver work.

Well worth it IMO.

Dan,
Quote from deggis :

But you don't know what it exactly does? Just smoothens the FF, how? I guess this works for every wheel (I have black MOMO) and not recommended only for DFP?

No it has been set like that for a long time... it was recommended by one of the LFS Devs IIRC.. It has something to do with the amount of times the FF is sampled from the physics engine or something like that. I can't find the post... it has been a while.
Quote from IKHAM :Literally just odered that about 10 mins ago. Should be delievered on Friday, just in time for the weekend. I'll cry if it doesn't come though.

What a surprise. It didn't come! Commence crying.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG