The online racing simulator
What's the best way to clean a LCD monitor?
(16 posts, started )
I'd like to hear some opinions on how to clean my LCD screens without buying any LCD cleaning products. Basically, I prefer ideas that involve things I can find in my kitchen (excepting dirty hobs and e-coli). I'm thinking a soft cloth and tap-water is generally a good idea. Please note - I don't want to damage my screens, so clearly mark things which are experimental and/or untested.

Edit: I would also like some commentary on the LCD cleaning process, have you ever actually damaged a screen by cleaning it the wrong way? I know people say you can, but have you actually ever?

Thanks!
#2 - JJ72
Use the cloth which you use to clean your glasses, and some spray thingy specified for monitors........they are cheap.

There's no trick to it, never heard people breaking a screen just by cleaning.
Spit and a tissue
With a cloth u cant make scrapes on it that easily. When i had my old LG 17" LCD TFT, i used to hit my keys on the panel pretty often when i was reaching for cables behind it (all of them is located in there, mostly). Not even a single deformation or how could i say it. Basically u need to use force to break it, but there may be exceptions.

Also, while cleaning u need to use just a bit force. Not much, but a bit so u would correctly wipe off the poop.

Edit: Lets rename this "force" to small pressure :]
Bit of damp kitchen roll, then dry with a another piece, or a cloth that doesn't spread fibres everywhere. Never damaged a screen that way. As hazaky says, it's pretty difficult to break one using normal force.
Quote from AndroidXP :Spit and a tissue

Damn, I'm slow... Just wanted to say that...

Don't use anything rough...
And NO WATER! Water can make your screen dead.
As said, use the cloth you clean glasses with and you'll be just fine.
And why would you clean it? I don't see anything dirty on my screen till it's on. But when it's off, it's like...
LCD monitors cost £200+, a decent cleaning kit costs about £20. The main things you need are 2 micro fibre cloths and non abrasive, neutral cleaning solution - things you wont find in a kitchen. Do yourself a favour and go to PC world etc and get a proper cleaning kit. It will last you more than a couple of years, cleaning about every month.
Quote from DratsaB :LCD monitors cost £200+

Depends. I have 19" and it costed me 80£. If you want a Full HD in Croatia (huge LCD plasma, >40") it can cost you 500£ or even 700£. But hey, it's Croatia, a bit expensive.
Quote from pb32000 :Bit of damp kitchen roll, then dry with a another piece, or a cloth that doesn't spread fibres everywhere. Never damaged a screen that way. As hazaky says, it's pretty difficult to break one using normal force.

that
maybe add a but of glass cleaner if youve got a lot of fingerprints on it
window cleaner, kitchen roll & patience
depending on how dirty your screen is, the first 10mins can be spent moving the smudges around the screen. eventually it will lift the grime & come up looking good as new.
Quote from anttt69 :window cleaner, kitchen roll & patience
depending on how dirty your screen is, the first 10mins can be spent moving the smudges around the screen. eventually it will lift the grime & come up looking good as new.

Window cleaner?????????????
I think it is too wet to clean screens with it.
Quote from matijapkc :Window cleaner?????????????
I think it is too wet to clean screens with it.

Agreed.

Even if u use the special liquid for cleaning the panel. If u use too much of it, ull mostly leave stains on it.

Edit: Once i cleaned my old 17" LCD and basically i used too much. It took quite a bit time to get the panel clean and dry. Just few sprays will do enough for the whole screen. Maybe 2-4 or 5
You don't want to use any kind of window cleaner, simply because of the chemicals they may contain (notably ammonia), which are not good on an LCD. Just go buy some LCD cleaner. Think you can use isopropyl alcohol too. Use the same soft fiber cloth used to clean glasses.
A soft cloth, damp (not wet). That's it.

But I liked the guy above who figured saliva was fine but water was dangerous.

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG