The online racing simulator
High-Res Vintage Racing photos?
(36 posts, started )
I'm searching for some really high-resolution photographs of vintage race cars, particularly F1 from the late 50s through the late 60s, on track. I want pictures taken from real championship events, too, not photos from revival meetings or some such; I'm looking for the real deal, in other words.

Finding pictures from the era is easy, but I haven't found anything in a high enough resolution to print, and I'm looking at prints at least 15 inches or so, preferably closer to 20 inches, without obvious pixelation.

Does anyone know any sources for such pictures?
#2 - 5haz

http://www.f1-facts.com/ It may be a statistics site but its also a treasure trove of images from 1950 to now.

You'll have a hard time finding better quality that this, without paying of course.
http://www.katzforums.com/showthread.php?t=628119

Probably take you 6 months to download everything, but if you can't find what you're looking for in all that lot, then it probably doesn't exist. And as far as high-res goes, that's about as good as it gets.
Thanks mate, I'll browse through there. Those images are all far too small, though, unfortunately I'm not adverse to paying for the images for a reasonable amount. These are going on my wall.
#5 - 5haz
Quote from Mazz4200 :http://www.katzforums.com/showthread.php?t=628119

Probably take you 6 months to download everything, but if you can't find what you're looking for in all that lot, then it probably doesn't exist. And as far as high-res goes, that's about as good as it gets.

Awesome!

I'm never going to run out of desktop wallpaper ever again.
Quote from MAGGOT :Thanks mate, I'll browse through there. Those images are all far too small, though, unfortunately I'm not adverse to paying for the images for a reasonable amount. These are going on my wall.

I had an idea like this too.

How will you print them?
Thanks Mazz! I'll spend all night going through there

@ DevilDare; I'm not sure yet. I've found a variety of options. I forget the name of this one company I was lookin at, but I'll have a look through my emails and find it.
Cool. If you could let me know when you find it, would be great.

Edit - I found photobox.com and few others myself. Thing is, I cant image the size of the poster when I will recieve it. There are so many sizes available, but I dont know which one to go for. Any website or something I can do to get an idea of those sizes?
You could cut some paper into the available sizes and put them up on the wall to get an impression of size. Just remember that you need large images to make it worthwhile. Average images are far, far too small to look good printed at a large size.

I can't find the site I was looking at before.. Apparently I've deleted the bookmark and the emails... or forgot to bookmark it.
Finally got the 60s set downloaded last night (Thanks Mazz!) and there are a few nice pics in there, super high res. Thanks mate!

Do you know of any similar sets of 60s-70s sportscar racing? I'd love some Can-Am stuff too!
Sweet. I just remembered I got granted access into LMS press gallery with super duper high res images from like 5 past seasons.
These might be of use:

Quote from MAGGOT :Do you know of any similar sets of 60s-70s sportscar racing? I'd love some Can-Am stuff too!

Can-Am's not really my thing to be honest so i've never looked for any pics of it. But, it might be worth having a further look around that same site. It's full to the brim of thousands and thousand of other stuff, so maybe they'll have other forms of motorsports in there too. Failing that, you could always try contacting the guy who posted the F1 pics and see if he can help.

Have to say it's not a bad idea blowing some of these photos up to poster size. In the right frame a huge pic of Fangio in his 250f would look great on my living room wall
Quote from amp88 :These might be of use:

They are all itty-bitty thumbnails?

BTW all these pictures are fantastic (but taking forever to download)
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :They are all itty-bitty thumbnails?

Behold the power of clicking on a thumbnail that's actually a link to a larger image!
and if that doesn't work, hold in ctrl and scroll forward
tried both of those already, neither works for me

EDIT: got it to work, had to use a different browser
Quote from amp88 :These might be of use:

Thanks mate! Some gems in there for sure!

Quote from Mazz4200 :Can-Am's not really my thing to be honest so i've never looked for any pics of it. But, it might be worth having a further look around that same site. It's full to the brim of thousands and thousand of other stuff, so maybe they'll have other forms of motorsports in there too. Failing that, you could always try contacting the guy who posted the F1 pics and see if he can help.

Have to say it's not a bad idea blowing some of these photos up to poster size. In the right frame a huge pic of Fangio in his 250f would look great on my living room wall

I'll keep diggin
#20 - MR_B
Those are awesome pictures indeed and from one of the best F1 era's ever..
(wouldn't mind having a F1 car like that in LFS...)
Found the site I was looking at before, which seems to be a Canadian company (good for me, as far as pricing is concerned when compared to UK companies), it's called CanvasPop.

" alt="" onload="imageAutoSize(this)" />

Some nice photos in that collection for sure, though none of them are large enough for what I'm planning on doing unfortunately.
how big (resolution wise) are you looking for?
Attached images
nikilaudaferrari312tdnf.jpg
03-audi-100-classic.jpg
Lotus-F1-1978.jpg
dia009bs3.jpg

(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG