LfS is to cheap ?
(36 posts, started )
LfS is to cheap ?
Is LfS too cheap ? Just a comment I read in another thread, i got no answer because it was closed. What is your oppinion ?
I think the thread you were referring to was when a comment was made that LFS is too cheap so that just anyone can buy it without caring about what it means to do so.

I can see where that statement was coming from, there are a lot of people who don't take the simulator seriously. But I don't think it is too cheap. I wouldn't mind giving a little more to the developers if I had it; as is I pay for HQ skins more to keep contributing. Personally I feel LFS is an amazing deal - I've played it for several years and still play it, for $50usd (about what it cost me) I would say LFS is the best entertainment per dollar I have spend on about anything; that likely even includes adding my entire Sim Racing Station that I have built specifically because I play LFS...

That said, if LFS would have been more costly before I had bought the license I do not know if I would have bought the license. I now know otherwise and would be willing to pay more, but back then I do not think I would have felt the same. Not to get into another thread about development speed, but that is a huge reason why I think my entertainment value has, and will continue to rise while playing LFS because it is a constantly changing environment, not many games have that support from their developers. The few that do are generally subscription based, and I have not jumped on board with the 'lets pay $X a month to keep playing a game." LFS is likely the _only_ game I've ever played that I would even consider a monthly subscription, that said I do not wish for that, and I doubt that the developers would take the that route. Money doesn't seem to be their motivation, which I could be wrong about, but LFS has true love in the development. Sure there are other better looking things out there, and there are some other simulators competing in other regards, but nothing compares to the effort and 'feeling' that is put into the projec there.
To cheap for what?
In another thread that started about development speed someone mentioned that LFS was cheap, financially, and that this is the reason the community has a lot of people complaining and people who don't give a crap. Because 'anyone' can buy it without much care. Basically the comment made was implying that by costing more, people would care more about the community and things would be better with less immaturity and other issues - at least, this is how I took the comment, I could be wrong because I only briefly looked in the thread.
LFS IS NOT TOO CHEAP
period
It is kinda cheap, for what you get for it. Every big update should be payed imo.
Quote from Ales_M :It is kinda cheap, for what you get for it. Every big update should be payed imo.

shysh..!

Good value for money, but not cheap

To say cheap makes me think of the saying "cheap & nasty" implying that something out there is "more expensive and better"

So its not always the case that "you get what you pay for"

SD.
I think it's a bargain, and cheap as hell.

I rather would see it cost around 35-50$/€ for every upgrade. Maybe then we would see less crashers and so on.

But todays price is ok, if they just could raise the pace a little bit. 1 big update every year that cost todays price. Maybe a new car or a new track. And then just make some small patches between. Then todays price would be good.
Most of the actual fun you have now is paid for mainly by teams and people hosting servers, don't credit Scavier for that :rolleyes:
I don't think price is the problem really. For me personally I would pay double for LFS (e.g. £48) and even then, compared to Xbox 360 PS3 games I still have alot more enjoyment. Though if it doubled blackbird would you have paid $100? It is a problem that affects alot of little games I feel, initially you have a small tight knit community who know each other reasonably. This grows until there are too many people and the forums go a little off. While increasing the cost would stop some people buying it, you would still get people who spam/troll on the forum.

I personally feel that people might buy this game too quick nowadays. I played the demo for a couple of months before buying the game. By that time I understood that is was an alpha, a WIP, and that updates takes time. It would be interesting to find out but it seems to me the average age of lfs'ers has decreased and this immaturity and inability to wait causes alot of friction on these forums too.
I think LFS is very very cheap! £24 for the best driving game in the world. I have friends that literally spend hundreds of pounds every year on crap wii games that they only play once!
Quote from Alric :£24 for the best driving game in the world.

What do you mean? iRacing costs a lot more than £24
My opion is that LFS is not to cheap and not too expensive. most games cost so much because of Branding. Game development companys need to get back money that they have spent out on branding.
Technically, LFS probably shouldn't be more expensive. All those games you talk about that cost twice as much as LFS probably cost much more to make than LFS. LFS has only three employees to pay, next to no marketing cost, and it's not very big, so they don't have to pay for 20GB of bandwidth every time someone gets it. Also deduce the packaging cost. The only thing that would make the bill go up are the servers, but then again there's not a million people online at any time.
Quote from boosterfire :The only thing that would make the bill go up are the servers, but then again there's not a million people online at any time.

And as I pointed out a couple of posts up, they're not being paid for by Scavier, which many people seem to either ignore or don't really realise in the first place.
I agree that LFS Is to cheap, cos more and more content is adding.
After S3, they will keep adding conent rigth, they wont earn anything, only more work for nothing..
Quote from aroX123 :I agree that LFS Is to cheap, cos more and more content is adding.
After S3, they will keep adding conent rigth, they wont earn anything, only more work for nothing..
  • Even S3 will still offer significantly less content than the competition, simply because a 3 man team consisting of one programmer, one 3D artist and one webguru cannot possibly compete with a big studio.
  • Show me any official information on additional content (that does not include bugfixes) after S3.
I like LFS rather a lot, but this is not a matter you should discuss with your fanboy goggles on
Simple formula-

Too cheap = Don't complain. Be happy if you got LFS at a very low price.

Too expensive = RIOT!!!
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Simple formula-

Too cheap = Don't complain. Be happy if you got LFS at a very low price.

Too expensive = RIOT!!!

Exactly.

And LFS is cheap. Maybe not "too" cheap, but certainly a very good bargain IMO.
Nothing is too cheap, but somethings are too expensive!

LFS is not in the expensive things group.
Quote from morpha :And as I pointed out a couple of posts up, they're not being paid for by Scavier, which many people seem to either ignore or don't really realise in the first place.

True, they're not paying the game servers, but the master server yes. Still proves my point, there's probably not that much going into keeping the server up.
Quote from obsolum :What do you mean? iRacing costs a lot more than £24

As a part time racing driver l can only comment that lfs gets much much much closer than iracing or any other game in terms of realistic car handling simulation. To me this is the most important aspect of a driving game which makes it the best in the world in my opinion.
Have they said anything earlier on this matter btw?

Like why is'nt it more hardcore? Locked cockpitview, and only accpet a few wheels that has atleast 720 and H shifter and 3 pedals, no autoclutch and so on.

I personally would buy 5 copies of this game to demo players here if this would becom true, well, they would have to have the right setup for it also so they can play it with us.

I think they should get more serious and limit us more in that area, so we get closer to "realistic" driving.
Quote from libben :Have they said anything earlier on this matter btw?

Like why is'nt it more hardcore? Locked cockpitview, and only accpet a few wheels that has atleast 720 and H shifter and 3 pedals, no autoclutch and so on.

I personally would buy 5 copies of this game to demo players here if this would becom true, well, they would have to have the right setup for it also so they can play it with us.

I think they should get more serious and limit us more in that area, so we get closer to "realistic" driving.

I disagree.

No other game in the world requires you to have a G25 or something like it. It's a game, not a race track.

You can have more realism if you want and if you can afford it! The forced cockpit view a totally different thing, but as for to restrictions to use this or that kind of hardware is a complete nonsense...

I drive with a no-FFB wheel. You have it and even get the H-shift and the clutch pedal. So, you get much more fun than me from LFS because you could afford it! In conclusion, feel free to be happy about it, but please don't take away the small bit of fun I get with my simple race wheel.

LfS is to cheap ?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG