The online racing simulator
Windows vista restore
(14 posts, started )
Windows vista restore
Hi , I have my new computer for a year as was happy with it i had 60fps game was working with no lag. i thought i will upgrade the computer so i went on www.ebay.co.uk and bought my self a GeForce 8800GTs and a 500w PSU. i got over 200fps i was happy playing BUT my psu blew up probably because it was cheap make it was like 13.00 pounds. Then i fited my old PSU back in to the computer and i only get like up tp 30FPS and the game is allways laggy. after a while i thought maybe i need to instal the proper drivers for it so i wen and downloaded new drivers but still nothing. so im maybe thinking to some how restore to factory defaults. just make my computer like at the very start again i have done it onec but i forgot how to do it now.
Maybe there is some sugestions what could of happend?
Maybe someone could tell me how to restor to factory defaults without cd (like i have done be fore)
Possibly GPU has no enough power so it down-clocks it's core.
#3 - CSU1
Format C:\

jk/ some machines have 'bootable add-in cards' which can be selected by choosing boot media ie boot from disk/CD/add-in card

some press F8 and have the choice there...really though search the net for your PC make...
You should post whole specs of your PC so that we can recommend you a new PSU. Your GPU really might be underpowered (but I think it wouldn't work at all then, at least 8-series GeForces refused to boot if there was not enough power). Anyway, running a system with weak PSU is just asking for serious trouble, I'd get a new one as soon as possible and then start to investigate what's wrong.
if you are running a low psu than what you need for your system correct me if i'm wrong but i think all parts of the system get a strain put on them.

I did a quick google and this is what someone else? asked about a similair gfx card (coppied the main bits of the question)

I'm planning on buying a Gigabyte 512MB 8800GT, upgrading from my old 7600GT. I have a 430w Thermaltake PSU right now and probably it won't be able to handle the 8800GT.

1. Supposing the 430w can't handle the 8800gt, but I get one anyway, for how long will the PSU go before something happens?

2. If something does happen, what will? I mean will my computer explode if the PSU can't handle the pressure, or will it break some parts inside, or will it just power off?

550W will do you fine for as long as you use the 8800GT stock but is cutting it close if your OCing. I would suggest the 600w model for high end GPU's.

Ok, what will happen if I install the 8800gt on the 430w PSU? Will it explode? Or just break?

probably will not start up, and if it does boot into windows you will likely not be able to play games. you cant really break something by not giving it enough power.

or link to the main question

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-246519_10_0.html
Also post your pc specs, this may help a potential helper eliminate stuff (like if you allready have a 500w psu installed)
If it's good 430W PSU then your PC will just shut down.
If it's bad 430W PSU, then your PSU will get fried.
Quote from Shadowww :If it's good 430W PSU then your PC will just shut down.
If it's bad 430W PSU, then your PSU will get fried.

If it's a good 430W PSU, it could even handLe GF8800 with no problems (if you have some weaker CPU and not a bunch of extra hardware). If it's a really bad PSU, it will fry some more essential (and more expensive) part of PC when it blows up.
i forgot to tell i had 60fps with orginal graphic card and then i upgraded but when psu blowedup i took the graphic card out because the psu is to weak but i still would have to get 60fps like i did but i dont..
So what graphics card are you using right now? There might be some drivers conflict or something...
If you are using onboard card (the one that's built in motherboard), then no wonder you get under 60 fps.
Quote from jaykay3000 :I'm planning on buying a Gigabyte 512MB 8800GT, upgrading from my old 7600GT. I have a 430w Thermaltake PSU right now and probably it won't be able to handle the 8800GT.

430W will handle that with ease.

430W is good for even for most top end PC's with a single GPU. Many people grossly over estimate their PSU needs.

Use this calculator to determine how powerfull PSU you really need: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Just stay away from those cheap PSUs. They don't produce the amount of power they say they do and they use low quality components.
The basic rule of choosing a correct PSU is not to judge it by its overall wattage. PSU Calculator mentioned by geeman is a very nice tool, but it's quite useless unless you use the paid version.
Overall wattage tells nothing about the PSU capability to provide enough amps on +12V rails (these are used for extra GPU power), it actually does not provide any info about how high electrical current there is on any power rail. In theory, is you had a 2000W PSU with only one 12V rail supplying 5A, it would be totally useless in gamer's PC...
True.

Altough most parts use the 12V rails so, you don't need much power in those other rails. Most modern PSUs are designed this in mind and the other rails have less amps, a amount that is enough for things that use it. Then as the total wattage grows mostly only the amps in 12V rails get bigger.

Maybe you should get a bit more powerfull PSU than the calculator gives out, but there is no reason to go overboard and think a 8800GT needs million watts.
im using motherboard graphic card but i use to get over 60FPS and affter taking craphic card and psu it gives me like 30fps

Windows vista restore
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG