The online racing simulator
Turn Monitor Into A TV?
(38 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
Thats because the cable probably wont work - thats the pay for 40 minutes work to I think me spending more than 30 seconds clicking the "buy" button is worth it.
#27 - SamH
Quote from Jakg :Thats because the cable probably wont work - thats the pay for 40 minutes work to I think me spending more than 30 seconds clicking the "buy" button is worth it.

As you never make a purchasing decision without first consulting the entire lfs user base Jack, I rather think 40 minutes is a conservative estimate for your time investment in deciding whether to spend £5 on a cable, or £3.50+£7 p&p for the parts to make your own.
You say all these things which point towards the fact you're not happy with your current TV, therefore, however you look at it you WANT a new TV, sure you might not wanna BUY one, but you can still WANT something and not actually go out and buy it.
#30 - Jakg
Ok, yes, I want a new TV. I also want a new PC, new keyboard, new mouse, new screen, new desk, new car, new laptop, new phone - but I am not prepared to actually buy any of those as they are worth (to me at least) not enough to warrant purchasing it.
Quote from Jakg :Ok, yes, I want a new TV. I also want a new PC, new keyboard, new mouse, new screen, new desk, new car, new laptop, new phone - but I am not prepared to actually buy any of those as they are worth (to me at least) not enough to warrant purchasing it.

If you wanted to make a Little Tikes car into a real one and maintained you didn't want a new car then it would be strange too but I just wanted you to think a little about what you post.
Quote from BlueFlame :If you wanted to make a Little Tikes car into a real one and maintained you didn't want a new car then it would be strange too but I just wanted you to think a little about what you post.

A little tikes car is a real car. You just have to live on a hill!
£5 expensive for a cable? This from a man whose job it is to try and sell a £15 USB cable to anybody that wants to buy a printer...

@Jak, the reason people are getting arsy is because you were presented a reasonable and cheap answer straight away and decided rather than thanking the guy for his help simply started moaning about prices and that your Chinese stock people did not have it...
Quote from franky500 :£5 expensive for a cable? This from a man whose job it is to try and sell a £15 USB cable to anybody that wants to buy a printer...

@Jak, the reason people are getting arsy is because you were presented a reasonable and cheap answer straight away and decided rather than thanking the guy for his help simply started moaning about prices and that your Chinese stock people did not have it...

if 5 quid could solve a problem we'd all be buying it, it appears here it works.

pay the fiver, stop crying, /thread
Quote from Jakg :£5 for a cable is a lot (at least for a cheap one).

Digital cables like HDMI are about £2-£3 for normal lengths, and as they are digital assuming they conform to the same standards expensive cables give you nothing extra...

Actually not true. It's a myth to believe that because something is digital it's either 100% working or 100% not. Digital is in fact nothing more than very high speed square waves and unfortunately for the all the hype makers the real world works in analogue and that square wave is going to be affected by all the same issues as an analogue signal would, (in fact in some ways a lot worse).

Anyway, skipping to the point. Emprical testing has shown that better constructed and quality cables improve error rates on digital transmissions, (even over a measly 1m!), and that yes there really are differences between the performance of a cheap and good quality (notice I didn't say expensive!), HDMI cable for example.

None of which is relevant to your question. Here is something I found by googling:

"The RGB signals in VGA and the RGB signals found in a SCART connector are electrically compatible, but the sync signals aren't. In VGA the vertical sync and horizontal sync are carried on separate wires, but in SCART they are both combined into a composite sync signal carried along a single wire. You need to convert the component sync signals into a composite sync compatible with SCART. The red, green and blue signals can be connected through as-is."

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/RGB_Scart

and possible solution:

http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html

I take no reponsibilty for the accuracy of the information in the links.
#36 - Jakg
Quote from gezmoor :Actually not true. It's a myth to believe that because something is digital it's either 100% working or 100% not. Digital is in fact nothing more than very high speed square waves and unfortunately for the all the hype makers the real world works in analogue and that square wave is going to be affected by all the same issues as an analogue signal would, (in fact in some ways a lot worse).

If you have a distorted analogue signal, the value at a point could be 0.65. Or 0.69. Or 0.63 - That could make a big difference.

In digital if it's 0.7, it's a safe guess it was a 1 - surely this reduces data loss massively?

Otherwise, why don't I spend £500 on an ethernet cable for my PC if it makes my internet look better?
Quote from Jakg :If you have a distorted analogue signal, the value at a point could be 0.65. Or 0.69. Or 0.63 - That could make a big difference.

In digital if it's 0.7, it's a safe guess it was a 1 - surely this reduces data loss massively?

Otherwise, why don't I spend £500 on an ethernet cable for my PC if it makes my internet look better?

I'm perhaps not going to be able to word this correctly, or use the correct terms, but here go's...

Doesn't data transfer through Cat5e just throw away error's though? Like if a bit/byte has an error (through interference or whatever) when it reaches the destination machine, it's disregarded and it try's again?

Where as with a digital video/audio interconnect, if there's an error caused by interference while you're watching a movie, you have to view/hear that error. Or else if it worked the same way as ethernet, then you'd end up with a movie that looks like it's being streamed and poorly buffered (worse case senario of course...)
Quote from Jakg :If you have a distorted analogue signal, the value at a point could be 0.65. Or 0.69. Or 0.63 - That could make a big difference.

You'd think so wouldn't you? looking at it intuitively like that right?

Unfortunately "reality" isn't that simple. Hence the need for sophisticated and complex error correction protocols and algorithms in digital systems.

To take your example of "if it's 0.7 it's a safe bet that it's a 1", well true, but that relies on the waveform being perfectly square. Unfortunately this isn't what happens in real life. Square waves start to become triangle waves in limited bandwidth systems, (ie any real transmission system), and the slope of the "wave" is what causes the problem. You see to accurately know what the level of the input signal "should" be, you have to know "when" to measure it. The long and short of it is that the receiving system has a real problem determining the value of the input siganal when the signal isn't a perfect square wave. Due to the way digital "input" systems work there is actually a region of levels that are neither 0 or 1. If the waveform becomes distorted enough, (and it doesn't take very much distortion at all to cause a problem), the input system looks at the input waveform at exactly the wrong time and comes up with a value that it considers "indeterminate". QED digital transmission system error.

Edited to add-

Another thing to consider is that digitals binary nature is also it's single biggest flaw. In an analogue system the difference between 0.65 and 0.63 or 0.69 is a distortion level of is 3% and 6% respectively. The difference between an incorrect 0 or 1 is 100% error.

Turn Monitor Into A TV?
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG