The online racing simulator
I don't adhere to 20's especially when i followed a cop car one day along a stretch of road in newmarket that changes form 30 to 20, then back to 30 again about 4 times in about a mile, and the copper just cruised along at 30.

The funniest thing was that for ages one sign said 30 on one side of the road and 20 on the other sign directly opposite, i just with i had a decent camera phone at the time so i could post that epic fail of signage!
#52 - robt
Quote from danthebangerboy :I don't adhere to 20's especially when i followed a cop car one day along a stretch of road in newmarket that changes form 30 to 20, then back to 30 again about 4 times in about a mile, and the copper just cruised along at 30.

The funniest thing was that for ages one sign said 30 on one side of the road and 20 on the other sign directly opposite, i just with i had a decent camera phone at the time so i could post that epic fail of signage!

I know the bit of road you mean! As you reach the first 20 mph sign you can already see the next 30mph and then 20mph sign. Dont think anybody pays atention to it!
Quote from Jakg :I'm calling up garages now - so far i've been quoted £30 + VAT for tracking from one and the wheels they couldn't compete with (£39 + VAT was the cheapest they did) and told me to get the Toyos from the intarweb.

The other ones are calling me back, then i'll be calling the Black Circles place.

Get the tyres from camskill
they are cheapest
Quote from danthebangerboy :I don't adhere to 20's especially when i followed a cop car one day along a stretch of road in newmarket that changes form 30 to 20, then back to 30 again about 4 times in about a mile, and the copper just cruised along at 30.

I've followed cop cars down 50km/h roads doing 80-100km/h, they weren't looking to catch up to anyone, and stopped at traffic lights and all, but put the boot down on the straights. Some of the speed limits we have are ridiculous, this was a 4 mile long stretch of dock road that's 4 lanes for half of it, still a 50km/h limit
#55 - Jakg
Took it to the local garage, they checked the tracking for me and it came back as fine (but something was lose and they tightened it but shouldnt of caused my issue).

I mentioned the fact my car battery seems to be flat (ran it out at work on Sunday, had to get jumpstarted, Monday morning needed a jumpstart and again today), they tested it anf found it was faulty, took out my old one and replaced it and threw away the old one without asking me and charged me £48 which seems oddly expensive, so I was a little annoyed but at least it works.

My Dad called the garage to ask for some more details about the lose bits etc, and they asked about the tyres (as my car had steelies last time and now has alloyZ y0), they mentioned that they only stock Kumho's (in that size) which is odd as I took it there last Christmas and they put Debico Furio's POS on there - I think I might just of been given some shitty used tyre instead.

Not happy with the garage, but at least the p-wagon is back.
I don't think £48 is really that expensive. It is around £55 to buy at euro car parts, who are generally cheap.

It needed a new battery anyway, and they saved you wasting another week trying to find one that would probably not be much cheaper.
If there was no car fault, then it is almost certainly your habit over speed humps - even though you seem determined to ignore that fact.

Cheap tyres don't wear any differently to expensive ones.

And for fecks sake, it's must HAVE not must of.
#58 - Jakg
Sorry for seeming so adamant to ignore the fact speedbumps where to blame for the problem EVEN THOUGH THERE AREN'T ANY SPEEDBUMPS WHERE I GO.

Cheap tyres don't wear differently, but where would they get these ones from if they don't stock them? Maybe from another car perhaps - I have no idea where the hell they came from at all.
Maybe they used to stock them, or got them in especially.

Your tyre wear looks 100% like speed hump damage from poor driving. If it wasn't you (yeah right), then it was the previous owner.
#60 - Jakg
I had new tyres fitted at Chrismas (so only I was behind the wheel), and my route doesn't have any speedbumps on - this means that there is just no way it can be me driving over speedbumps (which surely would cut the sidewalls not the surface itself)
Well, it wasn't alignment - unless the garage is lying. So it must either be vandals in the night, or the driver...

And yes, speed humps cause that sort of wear. Shoulder, side of tread and edge of sidewall, depending on the humps.
#62 - Jakg
I know it wasn't alignment, but if I've ended up with someone elses pre-worn tyres then that could explain it.

But obviously you dont want to listen to the fact I didnt actually go over (hardly) any speedbumps on my old tyres so meh.
I bet if you checked, your car would have a blue flywheel. That would be a give away of someone who drives with a heavy right foot. We had a car in the garage last week that had the tyres down to canvas, told the owner (he came in to get an irrelevant issue fixed) that the tyres were illegal and as he jumped in his car to "go get some new ones" left with a heavy right foot which, more than likely caused the canvas to show in the first place.

Even though it was a FWD (Vectra Saloon), all four corners were illegal and worn in the same way as the pictured tyre. So stop driving it like you stole it and your tyres will last a lot longer.
<<< no suspension expert, but don't these standard built-in suspensions change the camber doe to the "wandering" weight of the car cornering?
Meaning that the camber gets more negative the more the car leans into a bend?
Quote from Jakg :
But obviously you dont want to listen to the fact I didnt actually go over (hardly) any speedbumps on my old tyres so meh.

Perhaps some speedbumps are sneaking under your car while you're sleeping? They're tricky little bastards...
I didn't cause the accident officer, that parked car crashed into ME (at 60mph).
Quote from Jakg :I know it wasn't alignment, but if I've ended up with someone elses pre-worn tyres then that could explain it.

How could you possibly buy part worn tyres without realising it, surely you performed at least a very basic visual inspection of the item you bought? And presumably if it's only tyres being fitted watched them fit them? And did you not check that your new tyres were holding pressure/showing no signs of incorrect fitment a couple of days after getting them?

Good quality part worn tyres should not be worn/damaged enough to allow for failure/wear patterns like that, if they are then obviously a basic visual check wasn't performed when they were fitted.
#68 - Jakg
No, no, and no.

Yes, I am a nob (I now actually try to maintain my car properly but before I just sort of blindly assumed garages were infallible...)
Jakg, you're not a nob, you're just learning as you go like everybody does. People learn their most valuable lessons by mistakes they've made - nobody is born with knowledge.

I hope you don't pay too much regard to the patronising comments in this thread.
there is 2 things to take from this thread, the lesson to check your tyres regularly and for all of the tire, inside/out and al around including sidewalls, and to just keep an eye on how your tyres are wearing, maybe buy yourself a cheap tread depth guage and check your tread depths ones a month or somehting and note them down to see if it is starting to happen again
#71 - Jakg
Put the p-wagon in for an MOT today, and it failed because the inner edge of the rear tyre was illegal - cock. I had been keeping an eye on them and seemed fine. Will have to have a look under some proper light. Methinks in a final act of screwy-uppy-ness they garage failed to even do my tracking properly. Gonna have this other Garage check alignments because I really really can't afford to keep buying new tyres all the time...

On the "plus" side the back had the Champiro / Windthing Chinese tyres on there so I will be getting rid of them, butting my front BF Goodrichs on the back and putting *something* on the front.

Looking to go for a set of 195/50/15's (15's were a factory option with that sized tyre and thats what I have atm so yeah), currently looking at the Toyo T1-R's - I have the option of Avon ZV3's, or Pirelli P6000's as well but from the reviews i've read the T1-R's are better (and i'm not footing the bill this time).

also, inb4 Tristan "you drive over speedbumps wrong", front tyres are fine, rear tyres are shot - and I haven't driven it that hard because it's been wet and while i have oversteered a few times, i've made that up with wheelspin on the front so meh.
If a rear tyre can go from new to f--ked within a month, then just walking past the car and taking a glance in that general direction something should look obviously not right, as the extreme angles that would be needed to wear a tyre so rapidly should stand out like a sore thumb!

That is unless whatever is causing the wear is only happening when you are driving, which would indicate something is seriously bent/worn/broken somewhere so the handling would be absolute gash if this were the case and you would surely notice it.

And also, in the nicest possible way mate, it is so easy to see when a tyre is worn or not so im amazed you needed a garage to spot it.

More investigations are needed with your motor, thats for sure.
#73 - Jakg
Like I said, I need to look at it properly when it's bright outside - it's on the inner edge which is hard to see unless you look under the car but even then I checked earlier yesterday and it was fine so :S
[QUOTE=james12s;1302403]/QUOTE]

nice car
#75 - vari
I would have them check for worn out bushings in the rear suspension and loose wheel bearings as those won't show in the static wheel alignment procedure and it very much looks like an alignment issue to me although perhaps dynamic in nature. I don't know the rear suspension type of your car but any play there can potentially cause excess toe-out/camber (would fit to your symptoms) which happens because the wheels aren't driven and hence 'dragged' along, especially during braking

Just an idea...

Car Help - Why Does My Car Like To Eat Tyres?
(125 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG