The online racing simulator
Improving/Adding Fictional Names
This is a very minor suggestion and I do realize that if this isn't taken at all it wont be a big deal.

But, I was looking through Ridge Racer recently and I had a quick chat with my friend. He stated that a big appeal of Ridge Racer is the large effort the devs went through to expand the fictional content.

Specifically, the cars. Each fictional car manufacture in RR has a background story.

I noticed that the tracks have specific names instead of being purely labeled with acronyms. So why dont our cars have actual fictional manufacture and model names as well?

I dont think this would take long to implement if taken seriously. But imho, a little bit of fictional content can go a long way
#2 - e.M
thats pretty good idea, not very usefull but good
Yeh, it's nothing that will revolutionize LFS. But at the same time it would be nice to have instead of the boring acronyms to identify cars.

Plus I really doubt it would be hard to implement, just edit some text/picture files in the game and wiki and your done.

I do hope that the devs will seriously consider this.
+1
I've thought that would be a good idea for a while. Even if they only made up a couple of manufacturers. They don't necessarily need a full and detailed company history, but it would make the car names much more memorable for beginners.
#6 - aoun
+1 man, really.
+101
Just to be diffrent.
#8 - Danke
+1

Those of us who've been around a while know an XFG from an XRG, but you're right. Something more memorable than the alphabet soup that we currently have would give the game some more character.

We have a lot of creative people here. I'd like to see a dev- or mod-sponsored competition (making it official) to come up with fictional car make/model names and even logos to be used in some future patch. Heck, do it like rfactor and have fake websites for the fake car manufacturers.
This could be run as a competition. Any coding would just be a case of renaming the cars in the game - 99% of the info itself would be on the website and so could be delegated to someone else, so why not throw it open to the community?

People make up some nice backstories and the community judge which is the best.
+ One.

:P

This would be real nice, LFS's cars don't really have a story, they just seem to be named randomly.

Of course this might mean we'll need to rename the skins and setups.
What would you think if the car brands are a mixture of the devs names
e.g Scatoric XRT
Quote from brandons48 :

Of course this might mean we'll need to rename the skins and setups.

Not necessarily. You can have fictional names fit the acronyms:

For example:

FXR can be Fondi Xero GTR

I also agree that the dev's doesnt really need to do anything except give the ok for the community to give fictional names as the majority of the work would be to add it to the website, LFS Manual and Desktop
+1 for this. The current car names are very hard to memorize (at least for me), after years of LFS i still can't distinguish what cars are behind XRG, XFR, FZR, FZ0 etc., because all this names look so related.

Also it would be great to have some proper names for the AI drivers by default, instead of AI 1, AI 2 etc. LFS could use the names of the devs and the beta-testers for example.
Maubi for the read wheel drive car (X** something) in the demo. Maubi Sport for the turbo version that was in the demo before the Formula BMW. And Maubi GTR for the GTR version that, as far as I know, requires a S2 license.
I once programmed a racing game called Raceday 3d and it had a fictional car called maubi GTR based on pontiac.
+1. On the other hand, it's a hard decision giving a brand name to the cars. If there will be suggestion poll, the period should be open-ended.

Technically, giving name requires brand name logos individually on DDS files. This will cause a turmoil among the logoed past skins and new logoed ones. The solution comes from IL2 Sturmovik via marking on/off option.

i.e. My suggestion is AETHON for FZ cars. A horse logo will be fitted. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aethon
Quote from Test Driver :Also it would be great to have some proper names for the AI drivers by default, instead of AI 1, AI 2 etc. LFS could use the names of the devs and the beta-testers for example.

You can already set their names in Game options.
Hmm, in that aspect I like X Motor Racing 3D (has free demo). They have no copyright issues even though cars have almost same names and same design as real prototypes. so XRG could be Mitsushibi Stairon

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG