The online racing simulator
Quote from dadge :they're harmless so i don't bother too much about them.

Implying I wont step into LHC wearing space suit and wont accidentally the whole earth...
Yet you still feel the need to post.

They make me chuckle
Quote from Chupacabras84 :Implying I wont step into LHC wearing space suit and wont accidentally the whole earth...

do you have a space suit?
Quote from rich uk :Yet you still feel the need to post.

that's what you're meant do in a forum. sorry dude, i don't make the rules. but please try to keep up.
They are sometimes funny but the last batch from Inouva i found none of them are.. you need to have a sense of humour when creating that.
i found almost all of them funny

would the elevator thing work? jumping at the last second? i feel like that would at LEAST lesson the blow, if not (when you do it perfectly) leave you feeling fine.
mythbuster proved it won't help anything.
Well you don't really need Mythbusters for this, do you? Gravity pushes you down 9.81 metres per second per second, how many metres per second per second can you jump?
Even if you could somehow produce the required energy, the jump necessary to avoid injury would make you jump through the elevator cabin
Besides if you really jumped just prior to impact, the jump would cause the same damage.
I dunno how anyone can jump m/s/s

We only have 1 time unit, don't we?!
to state an obvious fact...that all these "funny" cartoons are total bs should be clear to everone

i guess thats what it makes not funny to me
cause they word it in such a way that you can laugh at the appeared fail to physics

and thats pretty true about the jump, but would it help at all?
It's been too long since I've thought about physics
physics intrest me, which is why i will likely be an engineer for a career

math intrests me more though :hide:
Quote from logitekg25 :physics intrest me, which is why i will likely be an engineer for a career

you need brains for that
Quote from Dennis93 :Yeah, so you obviously can't.

got that right! that's why I didn't go for it
Quote from logitekg25 :
and thats pretty true about the jump, but would it help at all?

No.

It's like travelling in a car. If you jump up you don't go splat against the back window because you're travelling at the same speed as the car. If the car accelerated faster when you were in mid air however, you could probably end up being spat out of said back window. If you're travelling downwards at the same speed as the chair that you are standing on, what is there to push off of to create a jump that would make you go upwards? Nothing, the amount of upthrust applied to you would be roughly the same as what is being applied to the chair, which means that all you would end up doing is pushing the chair downwards a bit quicker instead of pushing yourself upwards. I'm not trying to be a smartass because I am no genius when it comes to physics but that I would have thought is pretty much common sense. Infact some of the things I've said could technically be incorrect I'm sure if that is the case I shall be very quickly corrected as is usually the case around here!
the chair one is obvious

but i would think the elevator one would help a little, just not too much after the explination i got above
Gills, the car example you provide seems to assume the car is travelling at constant speed, the chair/elevator, however, keeps on falling = accelerating. A direct comparison is difficult because the car example describes movement along an axis not affected by gravity or any other constant force.

To make this easier, let's assume the vehicle isn't a passenger car but a flatbed truck. Let's say it's travelling at a constant 40kph and you're standing on it. Jump now and you might move back just a tiny bit because of the air resistance, but other than that your inertia will pull you along. However if the truck accelerates at, let's say, 0.2g (1.962m/s²) a 1 second jump will already displace you by that much and that's ignoring any resistance! Obviously when you land you'll still be doing almost 40kph so even though you jumped off the truck just fine, you'll have trouble staying on your feet once you land.

The elevator/chair situation is different though since gravity will still affect you even after detaching yourself from the elevator/chair.
Quote from logitekg25 :the chair one is obvious

but i would think the elevator one would help a little, just not too much after the explination i got above

The elevator one works if it makes a freefall for just a storey, but that wouldnt be lethal anyway. It doesnt work for falls greater than that because you can't jump up faster than the downward speed of the elevator at that point so it's not even worth concidering. They tested it on Mythbusters (poor Buster) with the above results.
Quote from morpha :Gills, the car example you provide seems to assume the car is travelling at constant speed, the chair/elevator, however, keeps on falling = accelerating. A direct comparison is difficult because the car example describes movement along an axis not affected by gravity or any other constant force.

To make this easier, let's assume the vehicle isn't a passenger car but a flatbed truck. Let's say it's travelling at a constant 40kph and you're standing on it. Jump now and you might move back just a tiny bit because of the air resistance, but other than that your inertia will pull you along. However if the truck accelerates at, let's say, 0.2g (1.962m/s²) a 1 second jump will already displace you by that much and that's ignoring any resistance! Obviously when you land you'll still be doing almost 40kph so even though you jumped off the truck just fine, you'll have trouble staying on your feet once you land.

The elevator/chair situation is different though since gravity will still affect you even after detaching yourself from the elevator/chair.

Yeah your example is much better. I was just trying to make the point that while you're travelling within a vehicle or an elevator or something like that, you're travelling at the same speed as it is. When I was younger I used to think if you jumped in a bus or car you would go splat against the back of it! So surely if you were in an elevator accelerating downwards it would be impossible to jump if it were going at a speed high enough to be fatal. I know when you're going down in an elevator you can jump in it after it has accelerated when you're travelling downwards at the same rate. I'm starting to get confused myself now! I think because an elevator is not usually in freefall there is enough upthrust on the elevator to allow you to jump? If it were in freefall surely you would not be able to jump because it is travelling downwards faster than you are able to jump upwards? I see where the car example is useless because gravity is the force taking you downwards in the elevator while the elevator walls just encase you. When travelling in a car you're being accelerated along with it. Like I said, not so good with physics. Only science I am ok at is biology! :nerd:
Quote from logitekg25 :the chair one is obvious

It does help, but it's near neglectable.
I lol'd at the "huge fan" one. Pretty creative
Quote from hazaky :I lol'd at the "huge fan" one. Pretty creative

not quite, its a remake of an older one
This thread is closed

The inevitable picture thread III: Revenge of the funnies
(14533 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG