The online racing simulator
Tyres - What To Buy?
(65 posts, started )
Quote from theirishnoob :cheap tyres are grand - they do the job required but normally their only used a cheap fix for passing an mot, or a rarly used shopping cart and car dealers.

for 50 quid you can get kuhmo's ive used them quite a bit ( as i get them for half nothing ) and they are very good for the price.

I don't think I'm the only one on this forum who doesn't believe anything you say.
Quote from ajp71 :You're looking at tiny tyres though.

They're 2 inches smaller than the ones Jack is looking at, and half the price. They're not carried stock either, they have to be imported from the UK

They're not tiny either, 10"s are tiny...I want them instead actually, but 10" rims won't clear the callipers
Quote from dougie-lampkin :They're 2 inches smaller than the ones Jack is looking at, and half the price. They're not carried stock either, they have to be imported from the UK

They're not tiny either, 10"s are tiny...I want them instead actually, but 10" rims won't clear the callipers

Just find some brake bits off a really old one with sliding windows and external door hinges, drums all round, problem solved, as long as you dont wanna go too fast!
drums on the front
The Cooper S came with 7.5" discs I could swap over, the trouble is it's at least €400 for a conversion kit, not including the new alloys or rubber, minifin drums all around aren't far behind it either I'll stick with the 8.4" discs on it, they've some hope of at least slowing me down

Drums on the front aren't that bad, the car only weighs 600kg
Quote from dougie-lampkin :The Cooper S came with 7.5" discs I could swap over, the trouble is it's at least €400 for a conversion kit, not including the new alloys or rubber, minifin drums all around aren't far behind it either I'll stick with the 8.4" discs on it, they've some hope of at least slowing me down

Drums on the front aren't that bad, the car only weighs 600kg

That's a lot of screwing around and spending money just to get cheap tires
The tyres are more expensive too for 10" rims, as you have to get the big 195/50 R10's so they don't look ridiculously narrow I dread to think how much they'd cost, for a decent brand it's more than likely going to be at least €100 a corner, they're not exactly mass produced

Cars in general are a lot of screwing around, I've different size tyres front and rear (145/50 front as opposed to 155/60 rear) as two needed replacing due to perished rubber, plus a different sized spare (165/40, low profile :tilt too
Quote from mrodgers :By countersteering

That's not how a bike turns. That's how a bike initiates and completes a turn.
im pretty sure physics dicate that a bike completes (i assume by that you mean exists) a turn by steering more into the turn
which fits with the word 'countersteering' just fine.
Toyo T1R's from Camskill
Quote from Shotglass :im pretty sure physics dicate that a bike completes (i assume by that you mean exists) a turn by steering more into the turn

The motion is the same regardless of whether you want to complete a left turn, initiate a right turn, or both at the same time. You're steering the front wheel left and rolling right. Likewise but in the opposite direction for rolling left.

Jakg: Sorry for the threadjack.
Quote from george_tsiros :which fits with the word 'countersteering' just fine.

Erm..... turning into your existing turn is countersteering? Hmm
yes, because you turn into your existing turn to stop it

it does the opposite of what your intuition tells you it will do

anyway the mechanics of a two wheel vehicle are quite complicated...

Quote from HVS5b :Toyo T1R's from Camskill

very good tyres BUT they wear down fast for road use as an 'affordable' tyre.

that's what i am going to be buying for my twingo though

i prefer to spend more on tyres and less on other things, if i have to make a choice.
Quote from Jakg :the ones I have are awful in the wet.

Do you know how old your current tires are? Cos that can make a BIG difference. Just replacing tires that are a few years old with a brand new set can make a HUGE difference. I bought a set of wheels that had some old tires on, they turned out to be about 5 years old, and although they had plenty of tread, and were a good quality tire, they were incredibly dangerous in the wet due to their age.

Tyres - What To Buy?
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG