The online racing simulator
REALLY Random Computer Problems
(11 posts, started )
So basically, I have several problems on this bucket of crap of a computer, that are just so inexplicably random, that I don't know what to do.

1) Computer clicks to somewhere else without me doing anything. For example, just as I was typing this the title of this thread, the stupid thing clicked into the main text window when I was half way through the thread.

Another example, I was just doing some coursework, typing in a text box in Word: After typing a few letters of a word, the cursor clicked back to the start of the text box by itself. And then then Word somehow randomly decided it had been told to close, so in a random click frenzy "Do you want to save changes: No" was somehow clicked, and I lost a whole bunch of stuff.

The mouse or pointer aren't moving in any of these circumstances.

2) Then the other problem: Sometimes, when I right click, the right click options list thing just flickers as if right click is repeatedly being pressed. (I don't think it is a faulty mouse, because I have tried with several mice).

The only way to remedy this problem is to either press the brake pedal on my G25 or to start up LFS .

I have scanned for viruses using Malware Bytes' Anti Malware, and nothing was found. Norton didn't pick up anything, although it _never_ does. I once had a virus causing havoc on my PC, and Norton told me that my PC was secure, with no problems. :doh:.

On a positive note, my Norton subscription runs out next month

Any ideas? I don't blame you if you are thinking WTF. Would I be best to travel to the geekyest depths of t'internet to find an answer, if one even exists?

I fail so much :sadbanana
well isn't it obvious?

Your pc refuses to do anything except LFS
Is there another PC in the house that a sibling may be trying to mess around with you on? ie, remote assistance?
Haha, that's weird. Firstly I'd try a system restore.
I have something similar to the mouse issue at work sometimes, if its an optical mouse, its because the red lens is dirty.
Quote from GFresh :Is there another PC in the house that a sibling may be trying to mess around with you on? ie, remote assistance?

There is, but my brother isn't intelligent enough to do such a thing. And anyway, he is camping in the Peak District as we speak
heh, ok, doesn't hurt to strike that one off the list
#8 - 5haz
Sounds like you've somehow set the G25 up as some kind of input device as well as a game controller, although wether that is possible I don't know.

Disconnect your G25, see what happens?
it has a poltergeist, summon Derek Acorah

on second thoughts, scrap that because he's such a humungous fraud
:edit: need to learn to read properly first
Well the first thing that came to my mind whilst reading that was whether it was a wireless mouse, because when batteries are low things like that can happen.

If you where using a laptop, and have a trackpad, then not only does this happen all the time but you are used to it and probably already have long since cursed their invention and placement and taken to disabling it and using a mouse instead, but ocassionally forget and use lots of foul language, like me just now.

The last thing was that interacting with the G25 seemed to effect things, so i'm wondering if you should try unplugging it and seeing if that solves it, if so, then i'd be looking there to solve the problem. I dont have a G25, but I gather it has profiler software, and it may be that one of your profiles is up the swanny, or perhaps the driver has developed Szisophrenia and one of it's personalities is the mouse pointer, so uninstalling and reinstalling the G25 software may help.

You said something along the lines of the mouse pointer itself not appearing to move, this being the case then the fault is the keyboard. Again if it i wireless change the batteries, otherwise, change the keyboard. The keyboard interface has support for keys for contexts menu (right mouse button) even if you dont have such a key on your keyboard, and slow and latent key presses or week signal changing the value of a keypress could result in the errors you describe.

I must say that in my own experience software tends to either work or not work and 98% of faults which are intermittant in nature are due to hardware faults, so i'd not immediately suspect a malliscious software tool in this case, but that is also possible - particularly if the patterns of mouse movement and such appear to be human.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG