The online racing simulator
NFS Shift - released yesterday!
(85 posts, started )
Woot, Australian retail got to match the American release date instead of the 24th.

And I have to say it's a fantastic game.. what impresses me most is that at great speed the road really starts to have an effect. In all these other sims I now play (rFactor, Live for Speed and arcade-sims like ToCa 3) you never really get the sense of having to fight anything but the car... but in Shift you can very well hit a part of the road wrong and end up in a fence.

here's some of my more excited posts from other forums...

First thing I gotta do is remove all the HUD ****.

Right, not very sim-like... far too much arseing around corners. But.... OH MY GOD THE SPEED.

The gamespot review is right, you get worried about how fast you're going.

Shots without any HUD at all. Shame of it is, you can't see how fast you're going nor what revs you're on (although the sound effects do a great job of letting you know that last one).

Here's some high-speed Nordschleise action...

Spa.. what a wicked track...

BTW: GAME IS HARD. Hotdamn, with the racing line off, zero assists, AI on hard and full damage this is an absolute bastard of a game. Yay!

What an addictive game! I'm level 10 now and forcing myself to think about going to bed. You can earn career points by being a clean driver or by being an aggressive one. Use someone else's car as a brake on a corner, get some points... drive a clean line on a corner or overtake without touching, get some points... depending on which method you favour, you'll receive either hotlap challenges or last man standing challenges.

Just brilliant this game, love it.

Here's me finally winning Laguna Seca on tier 2 after getting smashed out of contention by the AI six goes in a row...

Photo Mode uploads directly to the NFS website... how ridiculous to give you this mode and then not allow you to pose your own for your own pleasure. Retards ahoy.

And just a taste of the lovely menu screens...

cool!
now i need 60$ to get it.
Sounds awesome, Europe getting it in 2 days
Quote from lukelfs :
What are the physics like?
What game is it similar to?

Really wanna know answers to these. I don't want to buy it, and then be dissapointed by how I can't actually drive in it at any speed (because of diabolically bad physics), which is what happened when I bought rFactor.

Do you know if the physics similar to SimBin games such as Race07. (and on a semi related note, do the physics in Race07 resemble the physics in Volvo - The Game?. Because the Race07 demo just fails for me :schwitz
#6 - pipa
I never noticed that the car interior gets blurry at 200km/h?
I HATE the blur.... Such a stupid effect......

By the way... Massive "Lol's" to all the NFS fanbois getting disappointed. (As its half sim like and no more arcade 300kmh racing without brakes) Had so many friends flame me for acutally liking this NFS. One of my favs (Translated to English)

"What the fu.. is this piece of shit.... cant even drift properly... Doesnt even have NOS..... Didnt know NFS can get so crap...."

Quote from DevilDare :I HATE the blur.... Such a stupid effect......

The trees in the peripheral vision looks nice. Other than that, it's a typically sad case of "wow, new effect, let's smack it all over the place ten thousand percent just so that nobody doesn't notice our shiny new cool effect, especially impressionable 8 year olds". :|
just play around with the graphics config file and you'll surely be able to set the blur to 0
Motion bloor, hdr, aracade physics, a lot of rice... that's what most people want and that's what NFS offers, as simple as that. (I'm not one of them though)
#11 - DeKo
sence of speed is ok, but everything else just feels wrong.. steering imputs feel numb and delayed.

does anyone have the windows g25 settings and the in game setting they use. ?
Quote from R3DMAN :sence of speed is ok, but everything else just feels wrong.. steering imputs feel numb and delayed.

does anyone have the windows g25 settings and the in game setting they use. ?

For arcade games I prefer keyboard. Steering wheel just does not fit.
Quote from DarkMellie :
What an addictive game! I'm level 10 now and forcing myself to think about going to bed. You can earn career points by being a clean driver or by being an aggressive one. Use someone else's car as a brake on a corner, get some points... drive a clean line on a corner or overtake without touching, get some points... depending on which method you favour, you'll receive either hotlap challenges or last man standing challenges.

That one sentence = instant turnoff. Along with the fact you earn points by simply driving on the racing line. What's next... Points for applying the accelerator, brake, turning, and breathing?

It's just more NFS crap.

Are you able to disable the virtual steering wheel in the cockpit view?

edit: does it support H-Gated shifter ?
Quote from DevilDare :

"What the fu.. is this piece of shit.... cant even drift properly... Doesnt even have NOS..... Didnt know NFS can get so crap...."

Well...ur friends obviously never touched it cause this NFS still has NOS (yes u've read correctly).

I used a G25 with 720 degree settings (what i use for tin top LFS and rFactor)...and...if it just me? Or does this game just feel wrong? Haven't tried the faster GT cars yet...but everything feels wrong to me...heck, rFactor (properly calibrated and ffb addons) feels so much better than Shift to me...

IDK, it's so hard to spin out from turning too much? It feels like the cars have too much grip and randomly looses grip
We mustn't be playing the same game then. It's very easy to lose grip and most corners are an exercise in keep your arse in check.

At low speeds, not realistic... at high speeds, more realistic than LFS or rFactor-mods.

EDIT: yes it supports H-shifter.

2ND EDIT: it's the best of all the NFS games ever released and it's sim enough to please all but the most hardcore of fans (so, those of you who hate on rFactor base-install and think LFS is superior because "omg it's only in alpha" and have never played Historix or TCL, you won't like it).
Quote from DarkMellie :

At low speeds, not realistic... at high speeds, more realistic than LFS or rFactor-mods.

That's probably y. So far I'm still driving the lower class touring cars (I'm currently in a Scion).

I'll keep playing until I reach the GT then i'll make my decision
Ahhh yes, tier 1 races suck.

Push on through!
I'm currently in Tier 2 and all I know right now is that the car understeers like hell, even when the racing line is green.

IDK if it is because I'm playing it on 720 rotation? Should I change it back to the 180 default? (Although that would be highly unrealistic for the touring/GT cars...)
-
(erfrag) DELETED by erfrag
I'm amazed at the polar opposite views this is getting. Seems to be a "love it or hate it" type of game, I guess.
It's a racing-sim forum?

Take it for what it is imo... a half-sim, half-arcade ball-tearing blast of a racer.
Quote from DarkMellie :It's a racing-sim forum?

Take it for what it is imo... a half-sim, half-arcade ball-tearing blast of a racer.

The point of the arcade is to make the game easier. There is nothing easy about Need for Speed Shift. However, it is very un-sim like because the car responds in such a bizarre way (granted I've only driven the lower tier cars).

Just because a game is hard doesnt necessarily make it a sim or good. IDK, i'm not liking it so far. But I'll keep playing
#24 - JJ72
Feedback sounds very similiar to grid, I have afraid it will disappoint.

what we need is a demo.
Quote from ultrataco :I'm amazed at the polar opposite views this is getting. Seems to be a "love it or hate it" type of game, I guess.

There isn't a lot of compromise going on from what I see so far.

People hate it because it's too difficult/lost it's street racing focus/can't "yo dawg I heard you like wings so we put wings on yo wings so you can rice while you race"

OR

People hate it because it doesn't live up to the promises of a true racing sim. They nitpick about half-assed physics and wallriding Bugatti Veyrons and are disgusted by the fact that NFS:S is at least "trying" to replicate the feeling of speed and orgasms after hitting a wall.

So it doesn't quite live up to the expectations of the audience on the the more extreme ends of the sim-arcade spectrum. As for some people, they feel that this compromise works. NFS:S is more of a pseudo-sim. It leans more towards the realistic side of racing but will not fully recreate it.

\/ Not really. The best post will be the one containing a link to the PC demo of NFS:S

(85 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG