The online racing simulator
Ps3 To bad to be $700 U.S.
(54 posts, started )
i'm probably not gonna get it untill gt5 comes out
Well... GT5 and Killzone PS3 will be the big games for me I think. I've always loved the Gran Turismo series, and the first Killzone had a hugely immersive feel to it. I actually felt like I was in a warzone, which is different from almost every other shooting game that I have ever played - including ones that were meant to be simulations. They just didn't have the 'feel.'

MAGGOT
FORZA 2 will rule them ALL!

:P.

In all seriousness, i have the 360 and im completely satisfied with it, i dont see the need to get a ps3, unless i was some RPG whore, which is the main game base for ps's, i wouldnt even think of getting one.
I know one thing: whatever nintendo is going to bring out... I don't want it
Quote :I know one thing: whatever nintendo is going to bring out... I don't want it.

Me too.

My Ps2 lasted a year. Then i had to have my dad fix it every time i wanted to play a different game. Then my little brother destoyed the disk reader with a hammer.
Well am going stick to Sony cause i like there ps1 and ps2 but talking about newspapers i read one and its says the ps3 is going be delayed because of the disk drive. thats all i know that the min but i hope my ps2 lasts until the ps2 because my ps2 don't sound so good.
Quote from Hyperactive :And wasn't the first Max Payne done in 7 years or so

in 4 years.

Quote from Matrixi :I have nothing against Sony, I have huge respect on the work they did on the PS2, as it STILL is a very good platform for many good games (GT4 & Enthusia).

PS2 should just die. It has slowed down games' technical development for too many years already.
Quote from ntdphil :I was looking at my gamepro and they said that the ps3 will cost $250 - $500. Games cost prolly 70-80 bucks. Sony will actually lose money per system b/c of bluray. Microsoft lost $100 bucks per system though. Just wanted to share that with u

It's not strange for a company to lose money on launch of something like this. They'll be losing more than just the figures you listed. A company like Sony put a lot of money into the Playstation and excpect to make money a year or so down the line once the hardware and games start selling.

Keiran
Quote from deggis :PS2 should just die. It has slowed down games' technical development for too many years already.

Slowed down development? Care to explain how come you think so? What developers do have learned, is to use the potential of the gaming machine better than before. That is, you can have beautiful graphics while still having 60+ fps gameplay on a older, slower machine. No "slowing down technical development" in any way I could see it.

Not to mention that developers aren't actually being FORCED to make games for PS2, if they do, good for them. If they want to put money on your so called "technical development", they will go for next-gen game consoles and PC.

The current "technical development" of games is obviously being restricted by the hardware that is available for purchase. You can always have more and more polygons, higher resolution textures, more bump mapping and shader effects, but while doing that you will need more and more power. If developers won't learn to optimize the code for slower machines we (older PC owners) would all be in very deep s**t.

That is one reason why I love LFS. My PC is already quite outdated but it can still run LFS with no problem. Can't say the same about Oblivion tho.. *cough*15fps*cough*.
i can get 10 fps. YEA.
Quote from Matrixi :Slowed down development? Care to explain how come you think so? What developers do have learned, is to use the potential of the gaming machine better than before. That is, you can have beautiful graphics while still having 60+ fps gameplay on a older, slower machine. No "slowing down technical development" in any way I could see it.

PS2 has the biggest market and that's why too many multi-platform games are designed for it and it's technical specs. Emphasis is on the PS2 version. Other versions (mainly Xbox/PC) are just straight-foward conversions from the PS2 version which still has the PS2 graphics and other things that are caused by the PS2's undated specs. This way PS2 slows down game developement in general. I think GTA games could be a good example of this. Does GTA: San Andreas' PC version look like a game developed in year 2005? No. Could the whole series be something very different and much more advanced if it wasn't technically so limited because of PS2? Definately yes.
Quote from deggis :PS2 has the biggest market and that's why too many multi-platform games are designed for it and it's technical specs. Emphasis is on the PS2 version. Other versions (mainly Xbox/PC) are just straight-foward conversions from the PS2 version which still has the PS2 graphics and other things that are caused by the PS2's undated specs. This way PS2 slows down game developement in general.

Wrong.

Multi-platform games aren't made for the PS2 specs. If they are released on the PS2, the graphics are actually being downgraded (or optimized better) so they can run on it. The thing is, they did not design the games while keeping an eye on the PS2 tech specs, if that is what you believe.

Most multi-platform games have actually been developed for the XBOX/360. Examples? Now let's see: Thief 3, Deus Ex 2, Oblivion, BIA: Road to hill 30.. list goes on.

Quote from deggis :I think GTA games could be a good example of this. Does GTA: San Andreas' PC version look like a game developed in year 2005? No. Could the whole series be something very different and much more advanced if it wasn't technically so limited because of PS2? Definately yes.

You are forgetting something. GTA3 (the same engine they all use) wasn't meant to be released on PC. And no, it doesn't look like a game developed in 2005 because the engine was developed in the year 2000! It's all Rockstars decision if they still use that old god forsaken engine and not write a new better one from scratch. PS2 could handle more, it's all about optimization.

Think about the graphical difference between GT3 and GT4 for example. While GT3 still has a pretty good "wow" factor in it, Polyphony still managed to optimize their new game better so they can make it look better while STILL having a constant 60fps game. Now that's what I respect, and that's what we need on PC games.

THAT is technical development!
Yea, look at how driver 3 was against the new one. Old situation in these kind of games: you lose a car, you walk around with nothing around you, everything is empty, how many times does that occur in these games? In the new driver it's all fixed, lots of cars, always around, rush hour 24/7. The graphics look better, the whole game is better technical. Biggest drawback is that you can't play full screen on a 4:3 TV

And about FPS, in GTA and old driver you had a lot of times the fps dropped very noticeable, on explosions and stuff, new driver has that too, but a lot less noticeable.

I love GT series too, but I get annoyed by the dumb little mistakes, and forgotten stuff. I'm especially thinking about backwards driving lights and the camera, I have no clue what they were thinking about it being realistic.
Quote from Bob Smith :...for them.

As for game development time, games were taking 3 years to develop, well, years ago, I think Doom 3 took 4 or 5 or some equally silly, I can't see why the platform should make much of an impact on times.

Certainly if Sony has publicised the fact that savings will be there for users who take advantage of their online delivery service then they go back on their word people just won't use it. Not to mention the fact that Sony has felt the sharp end of the stick recently with the whole root kit business, they know that you can't piss people off these days and expect them to lie down and take it like a good doggy.

As for games taking 3-4-however many years, that was par for the course 3 years ago, development teams are getting bigger, the gaming industry is getting bigger and things happen a lot faster now as a result.
Quote from Matrixi :Multi-platform games aren't made for the PS2 specs. If they are released on the PS2, the graphics are actually being downgraded (or optimized better) so they can run on it. The thing is, they did not design the games while keeping an eye on the PS2 tech specs, if that is what you believe.

I didn't mean all multi-platform games are designed for PS2 but too many of them are. As I said PS2 has still the biggest market place. Publishers do not have interest in making better real versions for Xbox/PC because they still get the biggest money from PS2 version.

For example EA's new The Godfather game looks pretty ancient: http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/665/665843/img_3435755.html. On PC and on Xbox it looks exactly the same. It was definately designed only for PS2 and other versions are just straight conversions. There are n+1 amount of games like this, including the GTA series.

Quote :Most multi-platform games have actually been developed for the XBOX/360. Examples? Now let's see: Thief 3, Deus Ex 2, Oblivion, BIA: Road to hill 30.. list goes on.

Only BIA: Road to Hill have been released for PS2... so how does that have anything to do with this subject?

Quote :You are forgetting something. GTA3 (the same engine they all use) wasn't meant to be released on PC.

I remember that it was meant to be... just first for PS2. Like Vice City and San Andreas. PC got it's version with half-year delay. And there are Xbox versions too... which of course looks exactly like the PS2 version.

Quote :It's all Rockstars decision if they still use that old god forsaken engine and not write a new better one from scratch. PS2 could handle more, it's all about optimization.

If it could handle more they would have made a new engine. And this is not only about graphical aspects, PS2's techical limits affects gameplay much more than that. Leave a car, walk 10 m and look behind - no shit, the car is magically gone because PS2's memory limit was reached.
Argh, I had written a long-ass post and Opera decided to crash. Anyway, I'm too lazy to write it all again so I'm just going to summarize and finish this argument on my behalf.

Quote from deggis :I didn't mean all multi-platform games are designed for PS2 but too many of them are. As I said PS2 has still the biggest market place. Publishers do not have interest in making better real versions for Xbox/PC because they still get the biggest money from PS2 version.

Yes, PS2 does hold the console market crown atm. The thing is, if all developers were out there JUST to make money, they would fly on their asses and go bankrupt if they didn't develope new technologies for their games. No one would buy them! As long as new games are being released, there ALWAYS has to be something new in them if developers (or should I say, publishers ) want to get them sold.

Quote from deggis :For example EA's new The Godfather game looks pretty ancient: http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/665/665843/img_3435755.html. On PC and on Xbox it looks exactly the same. It was definately designed only for PS2 and other versions are just straight conversions. There are n+1 amount of games like this, including the GTA series.

That Godfather game is more of a joke than a game. Can't really blame the PS2 for the awful graphics as there are gazillion better looking PS2 games out there (optimization, good fella, optimization). What stopped them making the game look better on PC or Xbox? Couldn't be the lazy developers, no? Not to forget the publisher.. EA, we all know that all they are really after is money.

Quote from deggis :Only BIA: Road to Hill have been released for PS2... so how does that have anything to do with this subject?

Isn't that pretty obvious? The developers didn't even bother to port those other games to PS2 due to the insufficient power of the console. How's that slowing down "technical development" for you?

Quote from deggis :I remember that it was meant to be... just first for PS2. Like Vice City and San Andreas. PC got it's version with half-year delay. And there are Xbox versions too... which of course looks exactly like the PS2 version.

Not completely sure about that, I do remember Rockstar had signed a contract with Sony so that they would have exclusive release dates on the GTA games for PS2.

Quote from deggis :If it could handle more they would have made a new engine. And this is not only about graphical aspects, PS2's techical limits affects gameplay much more than that. Leave a car, walk 10 m and look behind - no shit, the car is magically gone because PS2's memory limit was reached.

Ahem. If this so called memory limit was reached, how come did the cars in Driver 3 last for a much much longer distance? Now it just couldn't be the crappy coding by the developers, it just has to be the console, right? Nothing would've stopped Rockstar to make the cars appear for longer distance on PC or Xbox, why they didn't make them appear for longer is their call, don't blame PS2 about it.

I will always respect PS2 (and the upcoming PS3) in every possible aspect. You, deggis, should be mad at the developers doing piss poor jobs at their so called games. Don't blame Sony for making a console that still can deliver much fun ... even after SIX YEARS!
Generalization is as usual pretty bad, many games are developed for all systems simultaneously, using cross-platform engines (renderware etc.), and alot of games are very different from platform to platform, Sid Meier's Pirates! for the PC and Xbox is completely different on the PC, if you read gamespot reviews they often state the Xbox version looks and performs better than the PS2/Gamecube versions.

Quote from deggis :If it could handle more they would have made a new engine.

Expensive and time-consuming, why would they? People will happily throw money at them whatever they do.

Quote from deggis :the car is magically gone because PS2's memory limit was reached.

Outright guessing, i guess.
About those cars suddenly being missing, first of all, it's not because the ps2 was outta memory, they just didn't use it good enough, and secondly... the computer version has the same problem Did my comp ran outta memory too?
Quote from Matrixi :That Godfather game is more of a joke than a game. Can't really blame the PS2 for the awful graphics as there are gazillion better looking PS2 games out there (optimization, good fella, optimization). What stopped them making the game look better on PC or Xbox? Couldn't be the lazy developers, no? Not to forget the publisher.. EA, we all know that all they are really after is money.

I'll repeat "There are n+1 amount of games like this, including the GTA series" It was just one bad example.

Quote :Isn't that pretty obvious? The developers didn't even bother to port those other games to PS2 due to the insufficient power of the console. How's that slowing down "technical development" for you?

Luckily those weren't released for PS2 so of course PS2 hasn't slowed down developement what comes to those games. But your exaxmple was still bad, how is thing A (PS2) affecting thing B (games that are not released for PS2) if they're not even connected?

Quote :Not completely sure about that, I do remember Rockstar had signed a contract with Sony so that they would have exclusive release dates on the GTA games for PS2.

Yup, but that contract was about exclusive releases for consoles. It didn't include PC. I remember it was pretty sure that GTA3 was coming to PC with few months delay after the PS2 version.

Quote :Ahem. If this so called memory limit was reached, how come did the cars in Driver 3 last for a much much longer distance? Now it just couldn't be the crappy coding by the developers, it just has to be the console, right? Nothing would've stopped Rockstar to make the cars appear for longer distance on PC or Xbox, why they didn't make them appear for longer is their call, don't blame PS2 about it.

Because the GTA engine was crappy PS2 technology. It's not that easy to transform it to something else, especially when Rockstar didn't have much interest in PC version because they already got the money from PS2 version. Original GTA3 is one of the worst console --> PC conversions ever. With Vice City they did a bit better job.

(if you insist on continuing on this subject, contact me on IRC )
Coward.
There is that owl again!

I just wonder when do we start to hear from the next next generation consoles...
Quote from Tweaker :However expensive consoles and the games are, I still think they are NOT worth it. They are purely a quick form of entertainment that become obsolete in a year's time. Not only that, but they are a money pit if you become addicted. Then worthless later on, as you find yourself not using it, or something new has come out.

It depends on how you look at it dude. I don't have the $$$ for a swimming pool, the room for a pool table and with my kids, I really can't get a dart board. I love consoles. they are really cool for a hanging out with the guys toy (nobody has any $$$ for poker ) Ever try to have a few friends over, get hammered, and try to play something on a PC??? YUCK!

as for PS3s being $700 and three years for a game to be made at $150 a pop...... Please, you're getting you're leg pulled or misread something.

That would be the LAST console Sony made if that was to happen.
I figure they're gonna wait for Christmas Time to release it and hope they fare better than what the X box did this season. They had enough snap that this holiday season was going to be pretty low in overall sales worldwide and are acutely aware in the shift from video games and
consoles being big sellers and the increase of demand for personal portable elctronics, like iPods, Cell Phones... those little gameboy thingees
So I think they saved both themselves and bill Gates from serious losses
by not throwing out their stuff at the same time as the xbox 360
Ps3 will cost 500€'s
#50 - Jakg
Quote from paddy_racer :Ps3 will cost 500€'s

no... the interview said "even if the PS3 costs 400€-500€ it will still be excellent value for money"

Ps3 To bad to be $700 U.S.
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG