The online racing simulator
The most beautiful engine.
(222 posts, started )
Quote from Stiggie :By that you mean driving in daddy's car with daddy next to you giving you instructions?

Well................no, they were real driving lessons.

The thing you have to wait 2 years for.
Quote from BlueFlame :I actually destroyed my brain whilst reading those two posts.

It's quite simple really.

Earlier in the thread they had a minor tiff about who has the biggest spanner, if you know what i mean. And in those two posts above, they're effectively getting them out, laying them on the table, and comparing sizes. Unfortunately for us regular human beings who haven't the faintest idea what either of them said, we'll never know who won.

Anyway, are we any closer to finding out which is the most beautiful engine ?
The most beautiful engine i've ever saw was a rolls royce engine out of a WWII fighter plane (I think it was a fighter) It was in a shop that fixes blown head gaskets and stuff, was other engines like sierra cosworths and stuff, all looked brand new.

I didn't bother to take any pictures, but I would gladly go back just to get some!
Quote from G!NhO :I have done 2 driving lessons, lol.

Atleast the e30 i will buy won't be a rusty shitbox.

that's not a stuck-up a**hole thing to say
Quote from Bawbag :The most beautiful engine i've ever saw was a rolls royce engine out of a WWII fighter plane (I think it was a fighter) It was in a shop that fixes blown head gaskets and stuff, was other engines like sierra cosworths and stuff, all looked brand new.

I didn't bother to take any pictures, but I would gladly go back just to get some!

Was it a merlin? Because that truly is a beautiful engine.

EDIT: heres a pic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi ... 7d/Rolls-Royce_Merlin.jpg
Yea i'm pretty sure it was that engine, stunning to look at especcially from your own eyes, things frickin huge too.
Quote from Bawbag :Yea i'm pretty sure it was that engine, stunning to look at especcially from your own eyes, things frickin huge too.

Ever heard one? They make baby jesus jizz his pants. V12 of the biggest kind, was in Spitfires and was in the Hurricane MkC i think too, it was also in bombers but I don't remember which ones of the top of my head.
Quote from BlueFlame :Ever heard one? They make baby jesus jizz his pants. V12 of the biggest kind, was in Spitfires and was in the Hurricane MkC i think too, it was also in bombers but I don't remember which ones of the top of my head.

Don't forget the mustang! Although it was built by packard and was supercharged...Still a merlin though.
All Merlin engines, wether Rolls Royce, or Packard, were supercharged.
Quote from 5haz :All Merlin engines, wether Rolls Royce, or Packard, were supercharged.

I'm an idiot, dunno why I wrote that...
Jumo 2-10 was a good motor too, and being fuel injected, meant the Axis pilots could dive 109's and Stuka without dragging the engine, and they could also fly inverted.
Quote from BlueFlame :Ever heard one? They make baby jesus jizz his pants. V12 of the biggest kind, was in Spitfires and was in the Hurricane MkC i think too, it was also in bombers but I don't remember which ones of the top of my head.

I'm certain they're in the Lancaster bomber as well. If you ever get the chance to see the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight anywhere you can hear the lovely wonders of at least 6 Merlin engines tearing up the sky together. Best engine ever?
Quote from count.bazley :I'm certain they're in the Lancaster bomber as well. If you ever get the chance to see the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight anywhere you can hear the lovely wonders of at least 6 Merlin engines tearing up the sky together. Best engine ever?

It definately sends shivvers down alot of peoples spines, if a person doesn't think the Merlin sounds good, they deserve to be shot. Seriously.
hm still no answer from tristan huh
Really attractive
Quote from Shotglass :this is where youre wro i mean where we disagree

if i understood you correctly the direction your propsing the rod bends in will be restricted through the width of the bearings on both the piston and the crank
the bearings wont allow the rod to tilt away from its intended position by a lot so both ends are essentially fixed in the direction you think the rod would bend
the direction i think the rod is most likely to bend is the one where the bearings by their very function allow the rod to rotate into the bending

essentially what youre thinking of is euler buckling case 4 (beta = 0.5) and im thinking of euler buckling case 2 (beta = 1)
if you look up what beta means youll see that your rod bends in a 4 times less likely direction than mine

Sorry, I didn't see this, even though it was right after my reply - it was tucked away at the bottom of page 4.

But yes, I am claiming any bending will be in that plane. In 'your' plane there can't be much bending as the rod is free to rotate.

In my direction, whilst bending is slightly constrained, buckling is still a distinct possiblity.

If you don't agree, then why do most high performance forged/machined rods have the style I'm voting for? Why would an F1 car pointlessly reinforce in the direction least likely to be affected by bending/buckling? FEA techniques aren't usually employed to add pointless material to load bearing structures.
。。
30 30
02 02
?
Quote from BlueFlame :Ever heard one? They make baby jesus jizz his pants. V12 of the biggest kind

27 litre, and over 2000hp in the later versions, and this was in the 1940s

Quote from count.bazley :I'm certain they're in the Lancaster bomber as well.

Yep. And the Mosquito, and the Halifax. They were used far more planes than people think.
Quote from tristancliffe :But yes, I am claiming any bending will be in that plane. In 'your' plane there can't be much bending as the rod is free to rotate.

try looking up how euler buckling works
its more likely to bend in that direction exactly because it can rotate in its bearings

Quote :In my direction, whilst bending is slightly constrained, buckling is still a distinct possiblity.

a 4 times less likely possibility

Quote :If you don't agree, then why do most high performance forged/machined rods have the style I'm voting for? Why would an F1 car pointlessly reinforce in the direction least likely to be affected by bending/buckling? FEA techniques aren't usually employed to add pointless material to load bearing structures.

as ive said earlier i dont think the design idea behind a f1 conrod is having an i section but instead to design the conrod as a lightned triangle
they certainly make sure it won't bent, too... they don't sacrifice durability for weight

The most beautiful engine.
(222 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG