The online racing simulator
The most beautiful engine.
(222 posts, started )
Quote from Intrepid :lol no its a Parilla Sudam..... look it up! 55hp with dual carb and tuning! The Formula K motors used to have 135cc

Touché
Quote from Shotglass :i dont and im pretty sure the f1 rods are lighter since theyll be made from stem cells or some other exotic ridiculously expensive material

from the FIA regulations

@5.14.3
Quote :Connecting rods must be manufactured from iron or titanium based alloys

and the materials that are forbidden anywhere in the engine, unless explicitly allowed:
@5.13.1
Quote :magnesium alloys, metal matrix composites, intermetallic materials, alloys with more than 5% b.w. of berylliu, iridium or rhenium.

i repeat:

are you sure for what you said?

and to stay on topic

~1000hp out of a 12.9L, N.A., carburated engine.

veyron who?
yes im pretty sure that titanium conrods will be lighter than iron ones
so titanium is in the category of "stem cells or some exotic ridiculously expensive material" ?
Quote from george_tsiros :

~1000hp out of a 12.9L, N.A., carburated engine.

veyron who?

Carburated? Now that's innovating!
I bet the 1001 HP veyron uses less fuel.
Quote from Bose321 :Carburated? Now that's innovating!

I don't think the owner of such a fast performance car would care about fuel consumption. Admit it: 1000hp out of a 12.9l N/A V8(?) is very impressive!
Quote from Bose321 :Carburated? Now that's innovating!

It's 986 HP, 1001 PS
Quote from Klutch :The Mazda Rotary Engine.

Yeah. You heard me.

Wut
Quote from hrtburnout :I don't think the owner of such a fast performance car would care about fuel consumption. Admit it: 1000hp out of a 12.9l N/A V8(?) is very impressive!

No it isn't..... Far from impressive.... Ferrari F430 has 180bhp per litre or so, and if you think 1000hp is alot from an NA engine, when you should look at drag cars. So many V8's pushing over 1000hp with a lesser capacity. 1000hp from 12.9l is actually. Dire.
Quote from BlueFlame :Wut

I'm biased due to the fact that i own an Rx-7

Got to admit, they are a good engine when they don't decide to randomly explode.
Quote from Klutch :Got to admit, they are a good engine when they don't decide to randomly explode.

That's the thing, less moving parts should mean higher reliability when, from what I've seen, it isn't the case. Therefore cool actually
Quote from BAMBO :That's the thing, less moving parts should mean higher reliability when, from what I've seen, it isn't the case. Therefore cool actually

Alot of it relys on Maintance and proper Cooling down and warming up. Its absolutely crucial, unlike a piston engine you can skip a maintance here and there, or thrash it when its cold once every now and then, or turn it off after a hard run without cooling it down. Its not possible to do that with a rotor, or you'll end up with a very short engine life.

They'll still have to be rebuilt earlier than a piston engine, but rebuilds for rotors are usually a fair bit cheaper as they're alot easier to do, only starts getting expensive when you put in lightened gear, better apex seals, Porting, Doweling, etc.
it's not only the number of moving parts that determines the reliability of an engine.

the wankel may very well have one moving part only, but the apex seals wear down like there's no tomorrow.
A Wankel is very much like a 2-stroke - look after it and it'll last it's designed life (less than 4-stroke reciprocating engines admittedly, but that's not the point). Thrash it from cold and it'll go pop sooner than something that likes going pop.
Thats more or less the same with any machine.
no, not really.

some ECUs don't allow thrashing/mistreating your engine. (and if they don't do that today, wait for it)

it's not like the older days when you could go WOT, through the redline and stay there, grinning like a madman
Quote from 5haz :Thats more or less the same with any machine.

I thrash the shit out of my Jetta, and it works perfectly. It was recommended after I did an oilchange anyway.
Difficult question to answer. Just exactly how do we define beauty, it is after all in the eye of the beholder.

Is something considered beautiful purely for it's looks, or is it the power it produces, or even the noise it makes. Or maybe even it's significance within history ?. That's an argument that could run and run.

I don't know if this has already been posted, but i'm not sure if internal combustion engines come any prettier than the Pratt and Whitney Wasp series.

243.7 hp/gal!
64hp/l is really... uninspiring

looks tidy though.
It's an Opel designed engine made by Daewoo (GMDAT) so it isn't surprising that its performance is less than awe-inspiring.

The most beautiful engine.
(222 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG