The online racing simulator
whats expected
(64 posts, started )
whats expected
i have personally never raced online on lfs or any other program, so i need to ask before i ruin a server and get booted

what is expected in each type of racing catergory?

if i am in a cruise server can i speed and drift around all of the other cars to get chased? or is that not allowed.

if i am in a drift server i know it is drift only so that is self-explanitory

racing servers, if you find it faster to slide around a corner, and you do, is it allowed? howabout if you drift around the corner cause you think thats faster?
This is a hard question to answer due to each server running different rules, some of which may be specific to their own server. The best advice I could give you woule be to use your common sense, if it is a race server don't drift around for example.

About drifting on race servers. I would say no don't do it, it won't be quicker than taking a racing 'grip' line. However, I find in the higher power RWD cars (especially LX6) at some tracks I end up crossed up at some corners nearly every lap. While it isn't the quickest way round, it works for me as I would have to driver slower to 'grip' the whole corner.

Edit: I would add, in my case I mentioned above, it is not really drifting as I am not trying to be sideways with large angle etc. Unless I make a mistake, the oversteer is corrected with very little opposite lock (1/2 a turn of wheel or less)
Don't go there. Problem solved.

Yep.

No. It is not faster. It ruins your tyres. You'll probably get kicked or banned if you intentionally drift on a race server.
in SOME cases it is much easier to drift a corner (or slide) for either less of a chance to mess up, to easily pass, or to heat up your tires quickly.

anyway i do not feel like a debate, i just want my questions answered

EDIT: i like racing along with drifting (and cruise) so we are both on the same side
Cruise : do whatever you want as long as you don't cause crashes.

Race : do whatever you want to be fast as long as other racers are respected and racing regulations are obeyed.

Drift : do whatever you want to tail-out while maintaining proper speed as long as you don't disturb other drivers.
sweet so do whatever i want never sounded so sweet
Except it's actually anything but "do whatever you want", but you'll find out yourself anyway.
o drat...care to explain a little farther
#9 - garph
Guy come on. You race in a race server, you cruise in a cruise server and you drift in a drift server.

You obviously don't drift in a racing server, you'll get in the way and cause problems, you can hang the rear out when using some cars but thats not full blown drifting round every turn.

If you have to ask then you are going to get banned from loads of places.
On cruise servers you have to find out what the 2 different 'categories' of rules are. Some mean you will get chased (speeding, hitting police cars, robbing banks...), which is part of the fun, and breaking these is part of the game. But some are 'proper' rules, and will mean you get warned/kicked/banned etc. (Drifting, driving on the wrong side of the road, hitting other road users, swearing...) But some of these do not matter during a chase (driving on the wrong side of the road, drifting, hitting other road users...).

Quote from garph :Guy come on. You race in a race server, you cruise in a cruise server and you drift in a drift server.

You obviously don't drift in a racing server, you'll get in the way and cause problems, you can hang the rear out when using some cars but thats not full blown drifting round every turn.

If you have to ask then you are going to get banned from loads of places.

+1

But on that last point, at least he has asked, and now hopefully knows not to do it now!
In the end it all depends on the rules of the server, and very rarely does a server state "do whatever you want." Even if the server has no specific rules, a certain etiquette is expected to be followed. Since I don't have anything better to do right now, I'll write up a nice wall of text just for you.

On race servers, this usually means don't midrace join OR stay the hell out of people's way if you're a midrace joiner. There's no excuse for you ruining someone's race if you're not actually part of the active race.

Second, don't be an idiot about blue flags. Unfortunately the rules on this can vary but generally if you're blue flagged (which means someone that's actually in front of you position-wise is approaching from behind) stay calm, don't make any sudden movements to "get out of the way" and don't block any passing manoeuvres. It does not mean you have to remove yourself at all costs ending your race as some people would have you believe, however. Generally a good way to handle this is to run a bit wide into the next corner, so that you can be safely passed on the inside of the corner.

Third, don't drift. This doesn't mean oversteer is forbidden - which would be stupid as it's a part of any race (usually a mistake) - but DO NOT ever drift through a corner intentionally. I'm aware that with certain setups or in certain rare situations a slight drift can help rotate the car around, keep the engine revs up, etc. but most of the time you'll end up as an obstacle to other racers that suddenly takes up twice as much space and if you get tapped (which happens during racing) it's likely you won't be able to recover since you're intentionally already using up your corrective reserves. Also it is not faster. If you don't believe me, then you're not thinking about the correct timeframe: a race is longer than one corner or lap. If you drift then your tyres will be red-glowing soapbars at latest by lap 2 - beforehand you may have been only slightly slower than regular racers, but once you reach that point your race is de-facto over. You'll never see a drifter win a race because they do not preserve the tyres at all. Has nothing do do with skill but just basic physical laws and common sense.

Of course you don't ever intentionally crash anyone either, but I guess that goes without saying.

Now, drift servers are probably the most lenient in regards to rules. If you race (non-drifting) on a drift server then you're probably no stranger to the short bus, but in any way you'd be missing the point. You go there to drift. Be it drift battles or just general dicking around sideways, what you do is drift, in all forms you can think of.

And lastly there are cruise servers. Universally disliked and avoided by the "grown ups", cruising is basically the drama whore of LFS. Seriously, the amount of tears and wrist-cutting rage produced by these servers is second to none, and that's not even counting cruise vs. non-cruise disputes. The problem here is that the cruising community consists mainly of younger people (since people with driving licenses prefer to do things they don't do everyday in RL, namely racing or drifting), which means more often than not testosterone wins over reason. From the stories you hear on these forums you can expect anything from a relatively chill place to a server crammed full of whining regulars and rampant admin/cop abuse. Just give it a try, you might find a server that you like (they're all different, mind you) and at worst you'll get banned, which in my opinion isn't much of a loss really
Quote from logitekg25 :howabout if you drift around the corner cause you think thats faster?

Then you are an eejit and all hope is lost.
money well spent The Very End, I salute you o>
Quote from logitekg25 :i have personally never raced online on lfs or any other program, so i need to ask before i ruin a server and get booted

what is expected in each type of racing catergory?

if i am in a cruise server can i speed and drift around all of the other cars to get chased? or is that not allowed.

if i am in a drift server i know it is drift only so that is self-explanitory

racing servers, if you find it faster to slide around a corner, and you do, is it allowed? howabout if you drift around the corner cause you think thats faster?

this thread smells like post-whoring to me
Quote from radnes :join date: april 2009

this thread smells like post-whoring to me

I think it's better he made a thread to get the info. straight before he goes on a race server and start drifting because he didn't know he shouldn't. Actually this is one of his better posts/threads.

Frankly I'm not surprised he asked. I've been on a 'drift' server once and been told off for going race speed when not even interfering with anyone. Some LFS admins will make you paranoid.
Its expected he knows at least the basic online rules after >1000 posts.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Blue flags are not uncommon to happen during proper races that aren't just 5 laps long. Also most of what you talk about is covered by my paragraph about midrace joining, which is a completely different scenario.

Strictly speaking, since in LFS we don't follow Formula 1 rules, the blue flag is just a warning that you're getting lapped and that you shouldn't block passing attempts. Passing backmarkers is a part of the race and it should not be a problem to let someone pass without causing trouble. In the end the responsibility of passing safely lies by the one who is performing the overtake; if the pass is attempted at an unsafe location then he is to blame if something goes wrong. Of course I shouldn't have just worded it "run a bit wide into the next corner" but added "where it is safely possible to do so."

If you're being held up by a backmarker that isn't actively blocking your moves then that's tough luck I guess. Probably means you should improve your passing skills too. Just because someone's slower doesn't mean he should shift-P immediately as soon as he sees the "BLUE FLAG" text, especially if he's not being an idiot about the blue flag. If you're getting cursed at for not leaving the race line immediately even though the rules don't state so then just don't respond.
Ahh, I was just thinking of blue flags.

1. Drive like you normally do in a race, but when the lapping driver tucks a nose in, don't fight it.

2. Don't let off the gas when the passing driver is right behind you.

3. Be predictable. A Le Mans driver actually said he'd prefer cars didn't have mirrors, because flagged drivers tended to do very different things when they saw a lapping car in their mirrors.

4. In order for both to lose as little as possible in the overtake, avoid ending up on the passing car's exit line. Give them the inside line, let off early and get a proper exit. Don't slow for a car 50m behind you, which then has to stomp on the brakes because you are doing less than racing speed on the exit line.

Mid-race joiners imo have no rights, and should do anything they can to not interfere with cars that started from the grid.
That's invaluable information for beginners. Well done guys.
But I think the OP is more worried if he can drift corners while racing obviously self experience will tell him he will be dead last if he drifts around corners lap after lap in a real race
#20 - VoiD
Check the links in my sig...

Some basic racing-rules by B. Rose:
How to: Surviving T1 / How To: Defending
I would reccomend joining a few servers and just spectating for a bit, some aeiro enabled servers have rules that pop up as soon as you join, and you have to click "I agree" or "OK" well worth a read, but still spectate a few laps or races before just joining, some of these servers will require you to drive specific cars to start your points earning career.

Be it drift, cruise or race server you will soon find a few favorite servers that you can just join using the join specific server multiplayer option (this remembers the last server you joined) S2 servers will almost always be better places to race/drift/cruise than demo ones but unfortunatly at this time there is no way to filter them inside LFS.

Good luck.

SD.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Dude, rejoining the track from the pits or joining significantly after the race has started has nothing to do with blue flags. If you cause a crash from rejoining the track, no matter if due to a previous crash or pitstop, you deserve any punishment you get.

If you are a midrace joiner then you best act in a way so others don't even know you're there. You don't fight for position, you don't overtake or closely follow someone who's actually in the race and if the leaders approach from behind then you better disappear in an instant, be it by going on an offroad excursion or pitting (though the latter is preferred since some people are even a hazard off track). Maybe that's different for the unwashed masses of demo racers () but the most you do on a midrace join is, while not hindering anybody, test setups or simply warm yourself up a bit - not partaking in the race.

In Formula 1 if you're blue flagged you're expected to let the leaders pass ASAP by going out of your way to make room. However, like I said, in LFS you generally don't follow those rules (unless specified by the server).

If you as the leader have tyre problems and the backmarker is actually faster then he's allowed to unlap himself. Just because you're the leader doesn't mean he can't pass you when he's faster. Though that all depends a bit on the circumstances and driver skill involved. Of course if you're a complete newbie that has been lapped you shouldn't endanger the leader by attempting to overtake just because he made a slight mistake.

Now yes, a 10 lap race is probably not enough to cause lapping by pure speed difference. However even if someone screws up and ends up getting lapped in even such a short race, that doesn't mean he has to give up. Maybe someone else also screwed up and the backmarkers are actually having an intense fight for position. Now why should they cease the fun they have just because the leader approaches? If anything, the leader should be happy to finally get some change of scenery.

I think you simply lack the perspective of a S2 licensed racer here. On demo servers you have only three low powered cars and one track that is raced on over and over and over. People are so used to these tracks that the laptime difference is much smaller than what you'd get in a field of high powered cars on a track that people aren't used to drive on nearly as much as a demo racer is used to BL1.
yes i am a bit post happy in the forum, but when you have nobody who lives near you, and you have no ability to race online, the forum is really all i can do and what is the fun in just reading i have more then a hundred threads subscribed just so can keep tabs on it cause i am interested in it...so i am sorry if a random number under my name bothers you
Quote from logitekg25 :yes i am a bit post happy in the forum, but when you have nobody who lives near you, and you have no ability to race online, the forum is really all i can do and what is the fun in just reading i have more then a hundred threads subscribed just so can keep tabs on it cause i am interested in it...so i am sorry if a random number under my name bothers you

So many good advices in this thread and you decide to only comment on THAT?
Hi. It dont bothers me. My point was unclear, sorry.
What I mean is the information you seek with this thread is all over the forum. With so many posts I think you know very well the forum, including the Stickys in this section (beginners), perhaps I'm wrong

whats expected
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG