The online racing simulator
Aston Club (AS2) hotlap world records
I've noticed at the current world record holder of the fxo/as2 combo is using a rather, let's call it wide, line during his out lap. Would you guys concider this ok? At the moment it would be kind of hard to prevent but maybe it's something for eric to consider for upcoming versions of LFS?
Attached images
as2_fxo_wr.jpg
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I hope noone uses this in the quali session today.
Quote from MyBoss :I hope noone uses this in the quali session today.

I think Richard will take care of anyone who does
Kinda like KY GP rev in the RB4, where Biggie leaps right over the kurbs. you wouldn't do it in a race due to the damage caused, but it's HLVC OK.
and button clutch
Quote :let's call it wide, line during his out lap

I love Snetterton (a track in Norfolk, UK) because of two corners. Russell bend which is a high decelleration right hander that leads directly into a tight left and forces you to take an out-in-in line through it, which I find uniquely interesting.

The other curiosity that appeals to me about Snetterton is the exit of turn 2, where not a single car in any formula exits the track using the tarmac. Over the white line on the exit there's this broken up tarmac which still grips and using it lets you raise your exit speed considerably. The change in texture makes the lap more interesting.

I've seen a few LFS league rulebooks where they ban use of wide lines, to me that isn't racing. The tarmac bit is your guaranteed safely safely area, but the broken rubble on the outside ... now that's where you need poise and balance to stay on track and really knock out those fast times.

Surface changes are part of racing, why outlaw them just because somebody with a pen close to the rulebook doesn't like them?

A race track is more than just the black stuff, racing is about navigating the circuit as quickly as possible and beating the opposition. It's not a gymkarna, there's no points for style and grace.
I think the issue here is that AS2 (Club) doesn't even use that part of the track where you see the car in the image. The track comes down from the right side down the hill into the hairpin and continues to the finish line, never using the part of the track where that car is. I've never seen something like this being done IRL.
Attached images
as2_fxo_wr.jpg
#8 - Chaos
well in all racing, the track is defined by white lines on both sides, even curbs are not part of the track and their purpose is to tell the driver he overdone the corner... but as someone in f1 said, every race driver will cut the track unless there is a trench with spears...
I'd like to see under the current F1 quali regulations all the cars in one lump cramming into that small space that's waaaaay off the line to start their fast lap though, lol.
Those who worry about wr's are happy to find any and all advantage from the circuit layout. I'm more worried about racing myself - where all the lap times seem a good 3-4 seconds slower anyway, and not all of them are because of 'exploits', they're because of dedicated 1 lap setups and driving style (use of walls/kerbs you wouldn't normally risk).

I remember Brabham breaking the world F1 tyre change pit stop world record in a T.V. show when I was a youngster, I wondered if it should count because it wasn't during a Grand Prix in Grand Prix conditions with Grand Prix pressure... It counted.

At the end of the day the driver in question navigated a lap faster than anyone else has ever done in that class of car, surely that's what wr's are all about - and nothing more?
Quote from Becky Rose :Those who worry about wr's are happy to find any and all advantage from the circuit layout. I'm more worried about racing myself - where all the lap times seem a good 3-4 seconds slower anyway, and not all of them are because of 'exploits', they're because of dedicated 1 lap setups and driving style (use of walls/kerbs you wouldn't normally risk).

I remember Brabham breaking the world F1 tyre change pit stop world record in a T.V. show when I was a youngster, I wondered if it should count because it wasn't during a Grand Prix in Grand Prix conditions with Grand Prix pressure... It counted.

At the end of the day the driver in question navigated a lap faster than anyone else has ever done in that class of car, surely that's what wr's are all about - and nothing more?

imho it's not a question wether if it's a race, quali or hotlap, the rules really have to be drawn somewhere. plus, if the developers were to share your opinion they wouldn't have incorporated HLVC, right?

to me, it's clearly an exploit ...
racing and hotlapping are two completely different things.. if you take your line like that in a close race you'll surely lose positions.. Anyhow the track layout is same for everyone.. maybe he gained 0.05 sec by using this extra "runway", but everyone's free to try the same trick until we get some wall to prevent it..
Whatever it is, it makes the record time less valid for when i'm on aston club in the fxo checking the time to see how fast the car can actually get round, and imho that's a bad thing.
as long as people don't use it in quali I don't care to much. I think its a "no no" thing though.
hot lapping is a law unto itself. I don't worry about it because it's a world I neither have the patience or the skill for. I like to race and in racing I can be seconds of the WR and still have a kick arse, Storming Norman, Shock and Awe race. A WR lap or setup bares virually no correlation to a racing setup and to be frank I'm more concerned about making my tyres last a race distance than trying to shatter WR's.

Let the kids play at WR's if they want to. They will always find unorthadox lines or so called exploits to get a fast 1 lap. But thats the point, it's one lap. And anyway, he is still technically using the circuit provided. To be honest I think thats what makes a winning team. Even Ferrari have been accused of using an exploit in this years F1 season with their rear wing. But, it's what makes them commpetative. Of course a team will try everything they can to get a winning edge over the competition. That is what competition is all about.

If it's in the game, it's within the rules. If the Devs or the community feel it's unfair then it will be addressed. But intill then I, for one, don't feel I can critisise.
LOL? You must be kidding, right? If there's place, racer will use it. IRL same as here. So just live with it, I consider it fine.
Quote from Vykos69 :LOL? You must be kidding, right? If there's place, racer will use it. IRL same as here. So just live with it, I consider it fine.

You did note he's actually left the track / racing line by ~50 meters? I don't think it would be accepted in a real qualifying session to go 50m. off track to get a longer "straight".
In hotlapping wide lines should be allowed. In Nascar they stay high before a hotlap so they gain speed going down the hill from the banking.
It's not a wide line, it's 50 meters off track, stopped, set up for a longer straight.
Oh well, just do the same when you're hotlapping. Don't do it during real qualification though, as it's not in the spirit of competition, but in HLVC I think it's acceptable.
They used to do it in F1 a long time ago at one of the french tracks. And martin brundle said they used to do it at spa when the timing line was just before eau rogue they would stay high up at la source and get a good drive down the hill.
Quote from filur :You did note he's actually left the track / racing line by ~50 meters? I don't think it would be accepted in a real qualifying session to go 50m. off track to get a longer "straight".

Is there tarmac or is there tarmac? That part belongs to track, so stop whining.
Quote from sil3ntwar :They used to do it in F1 a long time ago at one of the french tracks. And martin brundle said they used to do it at spa when the timing line was just before eau rogue they would stay high up at la source and get a good drive down the hill.

Good to know
Quote from Vykos69 :Is there tarmac or is there tarmac? That part belongs to track, so stop whining.

It doesn't belong to the track configuration he's SUPPOSED to be driving. Next to the developers, you're the last person I would have expected to say what you just said.
A simple solution would be to place some cones there, so the hotlap would get invalid when you try to drive on the other track config. But that's up to Eric.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG