The online racing simulator
News, updates, etc etc
(21 posts, started )
News, updates, etc etc
Hello, community.
First of all, sorry for my english.
I'm quite new in lfs forums, but believe me, not the noob in racing sim LFS. There are few things I want to say, and I think I am not the only one. So here is the deal. I'm planing to buy LFS in two, maybe three days. I'll buy it, because I know / play / drive this game for... four years now I think, and I really love it. What about people, who heard of LFS, and want's to know more? Yeah yeah, there is official site for it, www . lfs . net, but when you load up the page, what do you see? Page updated Mon, Dec 15th, 2008 17:30. SWEET. What would new player / potential buyer would think? Game is dead. That's what living creature would think. Annoying thing is, that it really looks dead.
It's a serious SIM, so why to vaste it looks, respect ?
I know, maybe developers are busy and so on so on, but when I read few topics in this forum, I saw that most of players / S2 owners are very dissapointed about last 8 (?) months of LFS improvement? I see most of you are wating for VW badly, physics update and other stuff.. But actually I don't (because I don't have the licence YET ), but when I will have it, I would like to know the progress of the game, I really would, and I don't think I',m alone in this possition. So.. Why don't make somekind of progress bar, for users to know when to expect something new?
If this topic will be deleted, I believe that means, that developers afraid of something.

Love you all, Jerek.
Don't worry, LFS's not dead, but, the devs don't want to speak of what they're doing before they release their work, and they have their own reason to do so I guess

Anyway, I agree on the fact that lfs.net needs more updates and so on, it looks rather unprofesional to not have any news since 8 months.

Welcome, and enjoy your stay
Quote from sandrian :Hello, community.
I'm quite new in lfs forums, but believe me, not the noob in racing sim LFS. There are few things I want to say, and I think I am not the only one. So here is the deal. I'm planing to buy LFS in two, maybe three days. I'll buy it, because I know / play / drive this game for... four years now I think, and I really love it. What about people, who heard of LFS, and want's to know more? Yeah yeah, there is official site for it, www . lfs . net, but when you load up the page, what do you see? Page updated Mon, Dec 15th, 2008 17:30. SWEET. What would new player / potential buyer would think? Game is dead. That's what living creature would think. Annoying thing is, that it really looks dead.
I know, maybe developers are busy and so on so on, but when I read few topics in this forum, I saw that most of players / S2 owners are very dissapointed about last 8 (?) months of LFS improvement? I see most of you are wating for VW badly, physics update and other stuff.. But actually I don't (because I don't have the licence YET ), but when I will have it, I would like to know the progress of the game, I really would, and I don't think I',m alone in this possition. So.. Why don't make somekind of progress bar, for users to know when to expect something new?
If this topic will be deleted, I believe that means, that developers afraid of something.

Love you all, Jerek.

What's the logic behind that statement?

Anyway, you haven't said anything new.
I see where you are going, but I don't think it is really necessary. Newcomers wont judge LFS by news on the site - games are typically being developed and then thats it and although LFS is an ongoing project, theres plenty for new ppl to focus on with LFS as it is. You've stuck with the demo for 4 years. S2 have so much more.

I would like some updated news though, but that because it would (probably) mean there is a major patch release
well, I dont want to change the topic and pick with finger but... http://www.racing-legends.com/news.htm
Surely I would prefer something like blog from devs, or just a sticker with their posts, 'cos usu they announce something in the middle of 150-post thread so ppl coming here once a quarter wont read them. But they have their experience how to communicate with (potential) users and how to create expectations not waves of moaning.
I'm curious, how big is the Racing Legends team, and how often are those updates posted?
Quote from Bob Smith :I'm curious, how big is the Racing Legends team, and how often are those updates posted?

From what I remember those Racing Legends updates are years old...
i do agree to an extent, i have been around lfs since the early days, when its was a 30meg download :-) , i bought the game a while ago now, and it was/still is the best £24 i have spent on a game!!! and last xmas with the annoucment of the VW i was so excited! i dont think a week has passed where i havent had a quick look at the website/forums for any annoucements.

i have read the devs comments on it and have to say i agree with them not giving to much info of what they are planning to do , for one reason i wouldnt want others copying, or getting wrong end of stick or whatever, just causes more confusion and arguments in the forums, but i can see the other side of it also, other peoples inputs / other ideas.. but its the devs "animal" and ill sit back and let them nurture it how they pleasethey havent done a bad job up till now

http://www.racing-legends.com/news.htm

i dont know if thats the best example! :-) did the game get released? did the team transporter get released!? :-)

last updated 2003 :-)
If you are in the market for a game that gets news/updates regularly, then you are looking in the wrong place.

However, if you are looking for a top notch, PC based, online racing sim, there should be very little hesitation in buying a license.
In lfs.net the FXR still weights 1130kg for example
I don't understant why it isn't updated??? Lack of time from Victor? Because there are things that are really easy to update...
There is one thing I agree on, and that is last update date. Because new players wants to ensure that they buy a product that is in it's best shape, not something slow-dying-thing that slowly passes away.
It's a though marked for pc games now, specially sim games, I think that updating the page at least once each 6 month is a must, if you don't want to give the impression that the whole project itself is dead.

That's at least how I would think of a game I was wondering to buy, no update for 8 months would give signals to me that something was not right. And potential new players does not check forum (some do of course), they read around on the page, watches movies and read reveiws to make up their opinion / choise.
It is me or the Cars & Tracks section of the website is updated? There's a Demo Contents section now.
#13 - Byku
Quote from The Very End :There is one thing I agree on, and that is last update date. Because new players wants to ensure that they buy a product that is in it's best shape, not something slow-dying-thing that slowly passes away.
It's a though marked for pc games now, specially sim games, I think that updating the page at least once each 6 month is a must, if you don't want to give the impression that the whole project itself is dead.

That's at least how I would think of a game I was wondering to buy, no update for 8 months would give signals to me that something was not right. And potential new players does not check forum (some do of course), they read around on the page, watches movies and read reveiws to make up their opinion / choise.

Well.. i have to agree, this date looks fugly . Scawen or someone could make just a LITTLE update on the main site, it would look much better than it is now. Update on the cars section would be also nice .

Edit.: Indeed, car section has been updated O.o... but when?
A little update, even as small as "We're still allive", and then just some few words. I mean, the replies he has done some times in the various topics could be excelent on the front page. Giving a little feedback that they are still working. Would look much better for potentionally new users.
Quote from sandrian :Hello, community.

Love you all, Jerek.

You think a game's dead because there's no new news since half a year?
There are games being 10 years old and they are still being played....
Just because it's still in developement doesn't mean that there have to come new news evry day... And it's just 3 people working on it..
There is a bottomline here.....

The bottomline is, LFS is ALWAYS being worked on, its Scawens bread and butter, so regardless of news, updates and what not, it IS being worked on.

Weather the individual thinks the work that is being done is too slow, not what they want is totally irrelevant, as it has been said time and time again, that LFS will develop in the way that the team want it to, regardless.

So remember, no news doesn't mean no development, no updates doesn't mean no development.
It's not a question about LFS itself becomming dead, but how new people look on it
Even as there is many online, new players canot miss to see a 8 month old news.. and they will think "is it stopped?" .. New players don't know what we do, they don't know the phylosophy (horrible wrong spelled) of the developers. They will only see the date, and maybe move alone. That's why this is so important! We need to catch their attention the second they enter the site. One of the first things they will ever do when going on that site is to see when it last was updated. That's at least what I do, and I know most of my buddies arel ike that too.

Maybe the developers should post that (phylosofy/phy?) on main page, so it does not confuse new people.
Regardless, it is what it is, its been the same since year dot, its not going to change now.

Lets let the devs worry about what they need, or don't need, to do about attracting new players, if they needed to do something, they would, like I said, its their bread and butter.
Quote from Byku :Well.. i have to agree, this date looks fugly . Scawen or someone could make just a LITTLE update on the main site, it would look much better than it is now. Update on the cars section would be also nice .

Edit.: Indeed, car section has been updated O.o... but when?

Perhaps they could just edit the date?
#20 - dev
Quote from webdigga :Perhaps they could just edit the date?

That's gotta be the solution to the problem

[/sarcasm]
Quote from The Very End :It's not a question about LFS itself becomming dead, but how new people look on it
Even as there is many online, new players canot miss to see a month old news.. and they will think "is it stopped?" .. New players don't know what we do, they don't know the phylosophy (horrible wrong spelled) of the developers. They will only see the date, and maybe move alone. That's why this is so important! We need to catch their attention the second they enter the site. One of the first things they will ever do when going on that site is to see when it last was updated. That's at least what I do, and I know most of my buddies arel ike that too.

Maybe the developers should post that (phylosofy/phy?) on main page, so it does not confuse new people.

I have to agree. The current state of the website is doing a great disservice to the game and the community.

It sends the wrong message and for new comers it's easy to think, if they can't spare 5 minutes to update the frontage in 8 months, why would the game itself get any more attention. While that not the case, given the updates in the patch thread, new users aren't going trawl forums for such evidence.

Unfortunately this is a decisions the devs have made and it's unlikely to change until people start voting with $$$. It's obvious it's heading in this direction, with the plethora of post like these in recent times.

News, updates, etc etc
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG