The online racing simulator
alienware
(73 posts, started )
Quote from XCNuse :mip bias, its in graphics, actually I think you put them all the way to the right

textures it says compressed or full, choose compressed.

also go to misc settings and raise the user LOD (or lower, I cant remember if its backwards or not)

also turn off the sky (draw sky set to off)
turn visible trees off.

that should get you up a good bit.

ok perfect...i will try that, but you scared me when you said that a hdtv is not as good as a pc moniter...can you sum up in 1 post in what way a hdtv is worse, and why it is better, or just worse.
#52 - Jakg
He doesn't have a clue what he's on about - ignore him.
Quote from logitekg25 :ok perfect...i will try that, but you scared me when you said that a hdtv is not as good as a pc moniter...can you sum up in 1 post in what way a hdtv is worse, and why it is better, or just worse.

its worse because the color and contrast and its a bit slower for serious gamers with a need to have 'top of the line' junk.

I didn't say it was worse..
They can be finicky though, and some people don't prefer them over real monitors (like me)
ok, i dont care about graphics TOO much, i was just worried that i spent 25 bucks on a cable that i would have been better off just keeping a moniter.
i am probably not going to buy it...it doesnt have enough usb ports for everything usb i have, and i had my techie friend look at it, and he thinks because i am missing out on a moniter, keyboard, and mouse and such, it is such a good deal. there arent enough specific specs, and too much just plain alienware specs.
Not enough USB ports? It's got 6 you know..
If you need anymore just buy a cheapo USB hub which usually contains 4 more!

Plus keyboards are cheap..
I will never have to buy another one since I went ahead and got a logitech G11 which minus being HUGE is pretty much what I wanted, also got a nice WolfKing trooper mouse which fits in my hand just right, has multishot on the go and DPI increase on the go and plenty of junk...

Personally I would just wait a little while, and look again during christmas time, prices will drop then for sure this year, especially with everyone on the move from DDR2 to DDR3 ram
plus then you'll have 7 and won't have to deal with Vista and it's incompatibilities, so many times I wish I can play old games made for windows 98 systems but.. nope.. can't do it (not.. fun at least, something important never works..)
6 usb ports on a pc is really not much.

my mobo has 4 ports on the back and 4 headers (8 ports) on the mobo.

in any case, i wouldn't buy an alienware pc. Those who want to buy those are guys who have more money than sense or abilities and want to impress at lan parties without actually touching their hardware.

also forget about keeping the pc for 7-8 years.

even if you now get something ridiculously powerful and expensive... like three or four cards in sli/crossfire, you would still last like... 3 years? something like that. during 2006 we had the 7 series nvidia cards.

also, 10 years ago i had a celeron 433 with a tnt2 and i could play quake 2 so they were not completely worthless. for net browsing and stuff it would be ok even now. not great or good, just "ok". (with proper configuration and tweaking)
So I did some quick maths and running around..

If you were to build that computer with all the parts it is specifically using, you will save................

<$100
Only thing I didn't look up is a case, so.. that will add another $50ish
All the main parts it lists on there got up to be $655

I still think that's a pretty darn good deal, especially if alienware is selling it for just over $1000

Actually I guess I forgot wires too, I don't know if stuff like that comes with a mobo or not (i've never had to deal with anything like such) so if it doesn't that may run you another $20
xcnuse, what are you saying man? aren't you the guy who does renders n shit? of all people i would expect you to know better

Quote :But really in the end.. you can't fix 15 FPS

there is worlds of difference between 15fps unbuffered vsync off with a low latency TFT and 15fps triple buffered vsync on with a poor TFT.

in first case there is, at most, 1 frame lag.
in the second case there is at best a 3 frame lag between user input and output to the monitor

3 frames at 15fps is 0.2sec, without taking into consideration the poor tft.

both are 15fps

one is almost playable the other is certainly not playable.

low fps is one thing... it certainly is not good, but! if the set up has very low latency then the low fps is bareable.
Rendering has nothing to do with how powerful your graphics card is, it's all CPU power, it's all calculations though..

Either way, 15 FPS is hardly playable, I don't even consider mid 30s an enjoyment zone.
I don't see what you're saying against me though, I never talked about vsyncing in the first place.

I prefer no vsync and a faster FPS anyday, but that's just me, ripping isn't that big of a deal to me
I try and juice out every frame I can, and if it means getting one or two rips every 10 minutes or so..

I'll take that 8+ FPS over it.
what i was saying is that 15fps isn't determining if a game is playable or not, there are two things on which it depends: kind of game and latency.

you can't play a fast paced fps at 15fps and 3frames latency
you can play more laid back games at 15fps with low latency.
Quote from XCNuse :Not enough USB ports? It's got 6 you know..
If you need anymore just buy a cheapo USB hub which usually contains 4 more!

Plus keyboards are cheap..
I will never have to buy another one since I went ahead and got a logitech G11 which minus being HUGE is pretty much what I wanted, also got a nice WolfKing trooper mouse which fits in my hand just right, has multishot on the go and DPI increase on the go and plenty of junk...

Personally I would just wait a little while, and look again during christmas time, prices will drop then for sure this year, especially with everyone on the move from DDR2 to DDR3 ram
plus then you'll have 7 and won't have to deal with Vista and it's incompatibilities, so many times I wish I can play old games made for windows 98 systems but.. nope.. can't do it (not.. fun at least, something important never works..)

vista is going to be obsolite soon really i know i will use up all ov my usb ports, because i have a lot of usb. but how do you know about the new windows thing can i have a link, or something to search on google how do i know it will be better then vista
7 Is going to be amazing, how do you not know this? It's going to be the best Windows OS ever, Vista is like Windows ME, ME was AWFUL it was beyond dreadful, it crashed at every turn, nothing ever worked.. but without ME, we would've never had XP, for Vista it's the same thing, it's just a medium phase.

How do I know? Just read some tech news like Engadget or Gizmodo or the such, it isn't hard to find that 7 is going to be amazing, heck it's going to have wifi to wifi adhoc, that is something no other OS has right now...

Like it's not hard to find it...

again, USB hubs.. great invention.. not expensive, only uses 1 port, gives you 4+ more
#64 - Jakg
Quote from XCNuse :7 Is going to be amazing, how do you not know this? It's going to be the best Windows OS ever, Vista is like Windows ME, ME was AWFUL it was beyond dreadful, it crashed at every turn, nothing ever worked.. but without ME, we would've never had XP, for Vista it's the same thing, it's just a medium phase.

How do I know? Just read some tech news like Engadget or Gizmodo or the such, it isn't hard to find that 7 is going to be amazing, heck it's going to have wifi to wifi adhoc, that is something no other OS has right now...

You really don't have a clue.

7 is based off Vista - it's better, yes, but not a quantum leap in any way. It's only being received so positively because it's not the OS everyone loved to hate, I mean Vista.

7 is the real mojave experiment...
Yeh.. I know 7 is based off Vista..

Exactly the same is how XP is from ME..
Just like I said it...

Honestly I love vista, the only problems I have with it are driver issues because I won't reformat and get a clean start, but rather have junk from 2 years ago, but don't feel like spending the money to fix this simple problem. And slight graphical or sound issues with old '98 games, those are the only problems I have, and they aren't even big ones.

7 is a huge leap.. in the right direction (minus the price)
Quote from XCNuse :Exactly the same is how XP is from ME..

Now that was a dumb thing to say
XP is NT5.1, it's based on 2000 (NT5.0) and NT shares no code with the dos based WinOSes. (AFAIK)
Yes, however.. Windows 2000 was made for business, not for home users, Vista.. is not a business model (.. what a surprise aye?) Windows ME was the base of typical users, ME was the GUI and consumer base for XP while 2000 was the internal base of networking for XP

ME had much more to offer the typical user than Windows 2000, if ME didn't come out there would be a lot of things missing from today's typical system such as system restore, static virtual drives, automatic updates, compressed folders (which came from 98 SE but was rather improved to make it... useful), only one to allow USB mass storage devices without downloading drivers from the internets (which was semi rare in homes the internet, it was slowly making its gain though)
#68 - Jakg
Quote from XCNuse :Honestly I love vista, the only problems I have with it are driver issues because I won't reformat and get a clean start, but rather have junk from 2 years ago, but don't feel like spending the money to fix this simple problem. And slight graphical or sound issues with old '98 games, those are the only problems I have, and they aren't even big ones.

7 is a huge leap.. in the right direction (minus the price)

Pray tell - how will 7 make your old games run better than Vista did?
Quote from XCNuse :7 is a huge leap.. in the right direction (minus the price)

how much more is the price...the most i am going to pay for a gaming/school/internet (justsaying dont go back to computer doesnt matter for internet)/downloading/EVERYTHING!! is around $850-MAYBE $900
Quote from Jakg :Pray tell - how will 7 make your old games run better than Vista did?

7 has an emulation feature, yes it's emulated.. but I would much rather suffer a slight graphical and calculation hit which won't matter since they are such older games, than .. having nothing at all than Vista

@Logitek, just think of it this way.. it is MUCH safer waiting until they start shipping computers with 7 instead of buying it, the price is ridiculous at best...
#71 - Jakg
Ok, good look playing your games using Virtual PC - it's obvious you really have done no research at all.
Quote from XCNuse :7 has an emulation feature, yes it's emulated.. but I would much rather suffer a slight graphical and calculation hit which won't matter since they are such older games, than .. having nothing at all than Vista

@Logitek, just think of it this way.. it is MUCH safer waiting until they start shipping computers with 7 instead of buying it, the price is ridiculous at best...

will it cost much more getting computer with seven over vista? should i wait for seven or get one now?
Quote from Jakg :Ok, good look playing your games using Virtual PC - it's obvious you really have done no research at all.

What, do you honestly think a game that has these spec requirements:
66mhz processor
8mb RAM
1mb VRAM

Not run well even virtually...?
That is near impossible to imagine..

It's not like it hasn't been done before, Apple did it before..
Did anyone complain then? Not really.

@logitek I mean if you want to talk about saving money then all that comes down to is the waiting game..
There hardly ever is a "right" time to buying a computer (for the most part)

alienware
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG