The online racing simulator
alienware
(73 posts, started )
alienware
can somebody who knows computers go through this and tell me if it would be good for lfsing, high-school, internet browsing some downloading, and good for quite a few years to come

rate me...you know you want to
anyone, please
alienwares are to expensive.
did u see the link
#5 - garph
Quote from logitekg25 :can somebody who knows computers go through this and tell me if it would be good for lfsing, high-school, internet browsing some downloading, and good for quite a few years to come

rate me...you know you want to

It will max LFS out with no problems.
It's probably too big to take to school with you, add all the cables, screen and everything else you'd be in a right mess.
Browsing the internet...are you serious?
Downloading fast has nothing to do with your computer.
you don't need a fast PC for downloading, my moms 998mhz thing from dell downloads fine with 2mb/s
i mean for researching projects and such like that...not bringing to school
A 10 year old computer can surf the internet as fast as any other machine, it has nothing to do with it.

That computer is a bit overkill for "school work" am I right or am I right?

That isn't that bad of a price though honestly, yes you can do it for cheaper but that's a pretty good price for what it's packing.

Minus you still need a screen which will add another ~$150 overhead to the price.
I say get a decent laptop with a dedicated graphics card. I used to hate people that bought laptops, but after selling my main rig (still need to fix my sig >_<) I set up all my peripherals and screen to my laptop and it works just as well, just can't play recent games (or lfs for that matter).
Quote from XCNuse :A 10 year old computer can surf the internet as fast as any other machine, it has nothing to do with it.

Doubtful (even for pure HTML pages). Throw in animations, flash videos etc and you'll be pretty hard pressed to get most 10 year old machines running 2k9 Internet pages smoothly.

PC linked to in OP is overkill for LFS and general usage, unless you're going to be researching things like fluid dynamics, graphics etc and require to use software that goes along with them. Alienware also have a well-deserved reputation for being poor value for money. A lot of people who know little about PCs have heard of Alienware and think they provide the best pre-built custom PCs in the world. Those who know a bit more about PCs know they are usually better off building their own.
Quote from amp88 :Doubtful (even for pure HTML pages). Throw in animations, flash videos etc and you'll be pretty hard pressed to get most 10 year old machines running 2k9 Internet pages smoothly.

10 years ago was the end of the Pentium 4, I had a 2.8GHz machine with 1GB of ram and a terrible graphics card.

It was much faster than my Mini 9, and even my Mini 9 can run a lot of web pages fine.

Yes it may have some issues on insane websites where idiots have to many flashy java etc. junk on it, but it could still handle it just fine.
Mr. Nuse you are wrong
My Thinkpad R40 runs out of RAM (only got 512MB) on the first page of the Revolution Pack thread (lots of images) with FF3.5 and it's about 7 years old. Also the P4 started 9 years ago, production stopped last year.
Quote from XCNuse :10 years ago was the end of the Pentium 4, I had a 2.8GHz machine with 1GB of ram and a terrible graphics card.

Quote from Wikipedia :The Pentium 4 brand refers to Intel's line of single-core mainstream desktop and laptop central processing units (CPUs) introduced on November 20, 2000

Did your P4 power your time machine? PIII was only introduced in 1999.
Yeah. I think you're forgetting how fast things have progressed and got the time scale wrong

In 2000 I was running a 512mhz AMD and probably had something like 32 or 64mb of RAM.....things have jumped along pretty quick, no robots yet tho
oh wow no not 10 years ago wow.. yea sorry about that lol

6 years ago maybe, I don't know what was going through my head, apparently not 10 years ago (I didn't even have access to internet 10 years ago ooops!)

lets see.. I had my P4 machine, got it back in.. '02?, originally had 512mb of ram I think (maybe 256)

Yep sorry about that I don't know why I thought that was 10 years ago lol, sure feels like it though!
Yeah, I got a PC with a P4 1.6Ghz and a GeForce 3 Ti200 in early 2001. Even now I can tell a difference between loading times for the average page (not crazy filled with flash animations or 20,000 words) between my main PC (Q9450) and my home server (4850e). With PIII or even PIV the difference would be quite a lot, IMO.
i know its way overkill for lfs, but i still have many month old games i want to play...no computer in my house can play grid or even nfs prostreet i want to max out lfs get loads of fps, and be able to play top of the line games for the next 5-8 years i know it is a good deal, and thats in my budget (barely)
HAH don't plan on playing top of the line games for the next 5 or even 8 years, that isn't going to happen, if you want to play top of the line games for the next decade then you gotta buy a new graphics card every other year to keep up.

If you wanna do that right now then get the nVidia 250 and put it in SLi if you wanna be playing top line for that long.
Quote from XCNuse :HAH don't plan on playing top of the line games for the next 5 or even 8 years, that isn't going to happen, if you want to play top of the line games for the next decade then you gotta buy a new graphics card every other year to keep up.

If you wanna do that right now then get the nVidia 250 and put it in SLi if you wanna be playing top line for that long.

how long will that last me then?
At the rate games have been going, I would say if you want great FPS meaning 50+ on top of the line games with full settings on high, I would say top of the line graphics cards last you .. 2.5 years is my guess..

For a while game's graphics weren't going very far very fast, then Crysis came out...

I mean yea you can always lower your settings, that is no big deal, but if your like a friend I have who 'requires' max settings at max resolution with max AA and AF.. then you'll be paying for it..
Quote from logitekg25 :how long will that last me then?

....let me just get out my magic ball here...

Come on dude no one knows that. The only thing you can do is get the best PC spec you can get now.
Quote from garph :....let me just get out my magic ball here...

Come on dude no one knows that. The only thing you can do is get the best PC spec you can get now.

you are right (i love how i actually believed you for a second or two :razz but you have to understand if i buy it, i will have to empty my bank account (im only 14) and i need to know it is worth it
Honestly, after going through Dell, Alienware, and iBUYPOWER, that machine is a pretty good deal price wise.
It costs about $300 more brand new from alienware's/dell's website with what is in it.
Plus it has that Asus mobo to allow SLi graphics cards.

I personally would say.. you can either wait until you actually really need a computer.. or buy it
But then don't forget you also have to get a monitor.

Or you can buy it for me seeing the shipping time will only take 1 day

I need to get a power desktop for churning at renders and big files, my laptop will never keep up, and I would much rather deal with something hard to cary around, than pay $2000+ for the same stuff in a laptop.
I was gonna say no but after pricing up the exact same components it's actually cheap (but I would go to a US based site and check for yourself).

You could save money on the processor and motherboard and still get the same performance but....meh.

The base system is good (motherboard, CPU, RAM and H/D) and will last for a while, the only thing you'll be looking to upgrade at a later time would be the graphics card.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it.
i tecnically do 'really' need a computer, the 2003 gateway wont keep up with high-school, and my moms computer aint going to cut it either (partially cause it is family shared) i know it is a good price because alienware in the US starts around $2000! i have a 19 inch hdtv that i have to hook up (whats hooked up to my gateway) and another 14-16 inch (not sure what :razz moniter that i will also hook up, and in another year or so my mom will get a new computer and give me her moniter but it will be a mis-matched moniter arrangement, but whatever. i would buy it for you if i had the money

alienware
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG