The online racing simulator
Quote from Shotglass :yeah how dare they teach them proper car control and proper weight shifting initiations instead
and yes thank you i know clutch kicking and handbraking are used in competition a lot but just because something allows you to do a more extreme drift doesnt mean itll teach someone new to the sport/experience anything about how a car handles

Usual offensive response I would expect from you Proper" car control? Whatever that is, a rally driver certainly uses different techniques and has a different skill set for car control than an F1 driver. So if I turn up to a rally experience day, I want to at least get some understanding and have a go at what a rally driver does... if I go to a drifting experience day, I want to understand how people drift cars. I simply pointed out that for beginners, the two most common methods of unsettling a car for a drift is clutch kicking and the hand brake.

The feinting method of initiation is totally valid and actually much harder to do for beginners because it requires a more subtle feel of car control.

The best way to get people to control a car on the edges of drift is to start with donuts, initially in first gear, then teach shifting to second and making the circle wider and wider. Once someone can control the car in that state, then you can teach ways to get into the drift from stable, forward motion...

Anyway, I didn't want to start arguements but I forgot that asking questions on this forum brings people like you out of the woodwork who enjoy having a go I'll get back to work and let you continue your bile...
Quote from Jakg :Been thinking about it all day and decided i'll be saving up to another one - Tesco Clubcard vouchers are worth about 4x the amount in deals so i'll buy them from my parents and use my own 'till I have enough to drive something else cool

Jack if you want to do another drifting type course, i'd deffo look at these guys.

http://www.jdmallstars.com/events/drift-academy.asp
You'd be better off doing some proper motorsport, where the skill is in NOT drifting. I only drift when I run out of talent
Quote from tristancliffe :You'd be better off doing some proper motorsport, where the skill is in NOT drifting. I only drift when I run out of talent

Well, your car is not exactly a drift car isn't it?
Quote from tristancliffe :I only drift when I run out of talent

so basically your average lap could win a drifting competition
If I start drifting, my bike doesn't have the power to maintain it, so it tends to snap back and highside.
Quote from Shotglass :so basically your average lap could win a drifting competition

Absolutely. The downside of having no talent is you spend a lot of time proving it. The upside is that it feels extra special when I manage a corner without crashing!!
Quote from Forbin :If I start drifting, my bike doesn't have the power to maintain it, so it tends to snap back and highside.

Ouch.

i wish i had the money jack has
Quote from tristancliffe :You'd be better off doing some proper motorsport, where the skill is in NOT drifting. I only drift when I run out of talent

If he's not got much money, the last place he wants to head is "proper" motorsport Drifting is still pretty cheap for the fun you get...
Motorcycle racing isn't particularly expensive compared to other forms of motorsport either.

$5,000-10,000 USD for a decent race bike, though they can be found for less. Good protective gear runs about $1500-2000. Then just $300 a week for tires, $150 for entry fees, and $50 for fuel at the very most. Then just change the oil after every weekend or two for $50 if you use the expensive oil.

You don't need anywhere near as large a trailer to haul a race bike as you would a race car, either, nor do you need a large vehicle to pull it. I got by for a full year hauling my race bike around on the interstate with one of the smallest cars sold here in the past 20 years, with a 1.5L 4-cylinder making 82HP. It was a PITA trying to maintain speed sometimes but it worked.
Quote from yeager :The feinting method of initiation is totally valid and actually much harder to do for beginners because it requires a more subtle feel of car control.

In a car which as Jack says is setup to get sideways, the "feinting method" should be all which is needed. I would say if the driver has such poor car control that he can't "initiate" the drift without flicking the car about a bit then he ain't got a hope in hell of maintaining some power on oversteer which is what it's all about. No need for canned "initiation techniques" here. That last run looked pretty awesome and fun Jack, good job.
Quote from Forbin :Motorcycle racing isn't particularly expensive compared to other forms of motorsport either.

$5,000-10,000 USD for a decent race bike, though they can be found for less. Good protective gear runs about $1500-2000. Then just $300 a week for tires, $150 for entry fees, and $50 for fuel at the very most. Then just change the oil after every weekend or two for $50 if you use the expensive oil.

What about medical insurance?
That's the same for any motorsports activity, doesn't matter if it's 2 wheels or 4.
Quote from Forbin :That's the same for any motorsports activity, doesn't matter if it's 2 wheels or 4.

True. Do you mean you're not covered?

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance but I'd imagine there are more injuries in bike racing. Aren't you basically risking financial ruin if you're racing with no insurance cover?
gravel is pretty darn good at stopping a human body skidding across the track through
much better than with blat bottomed cars so i would imagine the really nasty injuries are relatively rare
highsiding and falling down from 2m is probably rather unpleasant but other than the risk of breaking bones its safeish
Quote from thisnameistaken :True. Do you mean you're not covered?

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance but I'd imagine there are more injuries in bike racing. Aren't you basically risking financial ruin if you're racing with no insurance cover?

I looked through my insurance plan and didn't see any exclusions regarding sports of any kind.

Thus far, I crashed 6 times on the track: 3 in the wet (twice my first time in the wet), 2 in the dry, and 1 on oil (in the dry).

I walked away from all of them, although the one on oil hurt the most. I got slammed down hard on my right side, messing up my shoulder a bit. I didn't seek medical attention. Throwing a ball is now slightly painful, but it doesn't affect my riding or day-to-day life at all.

All of the wet ones were fairly easy, even though one was a highside. All were just from pushing hard, trying to get a feel for the limit in the wet. I found it alright, and promptly sailed past it.

One of the dry ones was a highside for the bike, but I somehow managed to throw myself off before it flipped. I just slid for a while. It was my first time on race tires but I still had stock suspension. The other was a very minor 30 mph lowside, largely because my front end damping was way off.
Quote from thisnameistaken :True. Do you mean you're not covered?

Find some MotoGP crash collections on youtube - in 99% of cases, driver walks away (or at least tries to) on his own after crash.
I'm pretty sure i'd be covered by health insurance if something happens on the track. The car is something else tho, no insurance company is willing to pay for a car you wrecked at the racetrack.
It's great having the ability for you to go break some bones, go to the hospital and come out without being out 10 or so grand?
any track, you'll spend the day spinning around in circles.
#71 - Jakg
Quote from theirishnoob :any track, you'll spend the day spinning around in circles.

Obviously you missed the fact I went and only spun once....
Sounds like you're better at driving around cones than you are on the roads, you should stick to drift experience days.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Sounds like you're better at driving around cones than you are on the roads

you should write to parliament asking them to put cones around all bushes that stand next to the roads where jack lives
Quote from thisnameistaken :Sounds like you're better at driving around cones than you are on the roads, you should stick to drift experience days.

Cones are fun. I just love running them over at the side of the road late at night when construction workers leave them out.

... Yes, I am immature

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG