The online racing simulator
#26 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :Has the adrenaline subsided yet?

Yes. But the uncontrollable urge to download a Caterham brochure has not :/
Nice drifting..
#28 - JJ72
Quote from Jakg :Yes. But the uncontrollable urge to download a Caterham brochure has not :/

Do the right thing and go for it.
Quote from Jakg :Final assessed run (which felt more impressive than it now looks ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyVkXeGARHA

Don't put yourself down. For a first time, in a strange car, after so little driving experience, I think that looked stunningly good. And I mean it!
Quote from Jakg :Luckily no-one caught me stalling, or me getting my shoe lace caught around the clutch and so not being able to brake properly on video

Stalling happens to the very best, so nothing to be that ashamed of. The shoelace thing is quite noobish though, and I hope they took the piss out of you
Quote from Jakg :I don't think anyone was best pleased they were beaten by a guy who's had a license for a year, and never driven anything RWD (with road tyres) before, though

The looks I get from Ducati riders after passing them on my "girl's bike" at a trackday are precious.
Quote from Jakg :I wasn't allowed to use the clutch (or at least not to kick it)

They were encouraging people to jab the throttle rather than plant it as a lot of people were spinning, but when I did it seemed much easier to link stuff up.

So the most commonly used technique in drifting they told you not to do! That's a bit nuts
No it isn't. It's not Jacks' car, why should they let him knacker a clutch? It makes perfect sense to teach how to drift without needing to jolt the tyres loose when they've got to pay for the clutches.

In your own car, you can do what you like to it.
Quote from tristancliffe :No it isn't. It's not Jacks' car, why should they let him knacker a clutch? It makes perfect sense to teach how to drift without needing to jolt the tyres loose when they've got to pay for the clutches.

Increasing tyre pressures, using low grip tyres (part worns) and correctly teaching how to use the clutch can give a clutch a surprisingly long life. I had a team mate do two years of competition and his clutch ran fine throughout and was in surprising good shape when he decided to swap it for a higher rated one.

Trying to teach someone to drift without showing them how to clutch kick is like trying to teach someone to race without letting them use the brakes. It's a core technique for not only initiation, but for mid corner control. But then this school is using Caterhams, so it's not exactly making life easy.

Maybe they introduce this technique later in their training so that someone has a bit more control and understanding of the car.
#35 - Jakg
Quote from yeager :So the most commonly used technique in drifting they told you not to do! That's a bit nuts

They claimed they were using a competiton clutch - either way I can imagine Mr. Lotus driver would of managed to burn the clutch up and after a day of being kicked (and I mean a full 8:30 - 4:30 day) non-stop it'd be pretty toasty.

From the condition of the tyres i'd say the car was good for another day - whereas i'm not sure a clutch would last that long with a novice.

EDIT - Caterham were running the event - there is no followup session, this is a "how to drift for nubs" course.
Quote from Jakg :They claimed they were using a competition clutch - either way I can imagine Mr. Lotus driver would of managed to burn the clutch up and after a day of being kicked (and I mean a full 8:30 - 4:30 day) non-stop it'd be pretty toasty.

From the condition of the tyres i'd say the car was good for another day - whereas i'm not sure a clutch would last that long with a novice.

What were they teaching for initiation? Hand brake or manji?
Well done Jack!
Look so much fun driving such a sportscar. It's really great seeing those people clapping their hands when u finished the run
Great job, i enjoyed every secound of these videos.
But i think you would done a better job in a race car and so some races, seems like you have the controll to do it
How much was it?
#40 - Jakg
Quote from yeager :What were they teaching for initiation? Hand brake or manji?

If they weren't going to let me clutch kick, they aren't going to want me to break their handbrake cable either.

All they said was to use weight transfer (braking) to get it into a slide and then jab the throttle to hold it - I preferred to use the roll of the car to initiate and then just peg it open to hold it sideways so I could link up longer turns.

Quote from pearcy_2k7 :How much was it?

Erm, pass. The list price is £225, but my parents (it was my 18th present) bought it via Asda so i'm guessing they got it cheaper somehow.

Been thinking about it all day and decided i'll be saving up to another one - Tesco Clubcard vouchers are worth about 4x the amount in deals so i'll buy them from my parents and use my own 'till I have enough to drive something else cool

EDIT - If that sounds expensive then it wasn't that they could find anything cheaper, it was that most things require you to be over 21 / 25 and to have had a driving license for x years. This one required you to have a driving license and be over 18 so it was pretty much the only thing you could actually do (only had my license for 10 months ish).

I've done a little bit of racing (albeit rental kart racing series) but it's just waaaay to expensive... And I just don't have the drive.
Quote from Jakg :If they weren't going to let me clutch kick, they aren't going to want me to break their handbrake cable either.

All they said was to use weight transfer (braking) to get it into a slide and then jab the throttle to hold it - I preferred to use the roll of the car to initiate and then just peg it open to hold it sideways so I could link up longer turns.

Ouch, so two of the three most common methods of a beginner initiating a drift, they didn't teach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D ... niques_for_inducing_drift

Had they setup some big camber and pushed the castor right up?
Will you please understand this?!
It wasn't their plan to really teach them how to drift like the JAP guys. It was their intention to learn car control and a bit of autoX with the cones 'n stuff. The caterham is an expensive car and they won't let an inexperianced driver destroy it in 5 mins. Just stop nagging about drifting techniques. Jezus for the love of God!
Quote from Scrabby :Will you please understand this?!

Is the purpose of my questions, chill out young man, you're going to have blood pressure issues.
Quote from Scrabby :
It wasn't their plan to really teach them how to drift like the JAP guys. It was their intention to learn car control and a bit of AutoX with the cones 'n stuff. The Caterham is an expensive car and they won't let an inexperienced driver destroy it in 5 mins. Just stop nagging about drifting techniques. Jesus for the love of God!

Drifting is drifting, doesn't matter if it's like the Japanese or not. Their website clearly states it is a drift experience which will, in their own words "Ultimately there will be 4 courses with the last giving you the opportunity to show off your new drifting abilities at a higher speed and through multiple corners."

So it would be likely that the second "course" will teach clutch kicking and hand brake methods.

I'm not nagging, i'm simply curious of Jack's experience and wondering what they are teaching that is drift related. I drifted in competitions in England for 3 years when the scene was just starting to take off, so i'm wondering what they are teaching 5 years later. If my line of questioning frustrates you, simply turn a blind eye.
#44 - 5haz
Its just an experience day, the majority of those who go on these days don't really know much about racing or drifting, its just for fun and I'm sure it is.

Plus clutch kicking is not very relevant in racing, whereas throttle control is.
Quote from 5haz :Its just an experience day, the majority of those who go on these days don't really know much about racing or drifting, its just for fun and I'm sure it is.

Plus clutch kicking is not very relevant in racing, whereas throttle control is.

Ahh I got you, so it's one of those things you can buy in Tescos? Gotcha... not really a training day, more a throw it about and have fun.
Usually (at least how I understand) a "Driving Experience" would be just that; ****ing around with the car in a safe environment. Something that is to actually train would be advertised as such.

Only took a good 15 or so posts for this to be understood.
#47 - Byku
Tried to make that Catherham Roadsport 120 , propably the one You were driving . Hard to get strict technical data, power and gearing "should" be correct . Any advices appreciated .
Attached files
LX4_2. Caterham 120.set - 132 B - 839 views
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Only took a good 15 or so posts for this to be understood.

Which is shockingly short, no?
Thank you, Byku! That setup is very easy to handle One tiny mistake - Jakg's LX4 had open roof.

I am waiting somebody to make the layout now so I can feel like Jakg [or not] :P
Quote from yeager :Ouch, so two of the three most common methods of a beginner initiating a drift, they didn't teach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D ... niques_for_inducing_drift

yeah how dare they teach them proper car control and proper weight shifting initiations instead
and yes thank you i know clutch kicking and handbraking are used in competition a lot but just because something allows you to do a more extreme drift doesnt mean itll teach someone new to the sport/experience anything about how a car handles

congrats for winning the mini compo jack looks like it was a lot of fun and like you could learn a bit from the elise guy

also i hope now that youve driven a caterham you understand why weve been telling you not to bother modifing a proton

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG