The online racing simulator
2009 Kyoto 500 : Qualifying
Hello racers !

It's almost time for qualifying for the greatest spectacle in LFS. The system is different that what's normal for LFS, and will be highly stressful. Here's the thread to discuss it.

General Information:
Pole Day: 20 June 2009 (Saturday) 18:00 - 22:00; 23:00 - 01:00 UTC.
Bump Day: 21 June 2009 (Sunday) 18:00 - 22:00; 23:00 - 01:00 UTC.

The hour break is for myself to get dinner and a break, and anyone else. I would rather have not done it, but I have a feeling that my family would be ticked if not. The hour break will have the server open for practice.

General Rules:
Drivers have a maximum of three attempts per day. Attempts are charged after the first timed lap is complete. Unused attempts do not carry over to the next day. If a driver has a connection loss during his attempt, the attempt will not be charged.

A qualifying attempt consists of two warmup laps, four flying timed laps, and one inlap. The four timed laps are averaged to get the qualifying time.

Tyre warming is prohibited as per the rules, but I do make small allotments. You are permitted a burnout while exiting your garage, and may go full lock in turns on your first warmup. On Warmup 2, you MUST take the normal line, and do NO tyre warming on this lap. It has been suggested, however, that doing tyre warming is more detrimental than it is beneficial.

If you wave off an attempt prior to completion, your qualifying time reverts back to the previous completed attempt. Once an attempt is completed, it overrides previous attempts, regardless of better or worse.

Pole Day:
Pole day is the only day that Pole Position may be taken. At the end of pole day, the fastest qualifer is locked in to P1 regardless of anyone going faster on Bump Day.

Bump Day:
Bump Day is the day where the rest of the grid is sorted. Bumping referrs to "bumping" the 30th place car out of the field with a faster time. The person in 30th will be referred to as "On the Bubble". Once 30 cars have taken times, Bumping will begin. Bumping may begin on Pole Day.

I will be using a Google Spreadsheet to track times, and will post a link here.

If you cannot make it for any reason during either of these two windows, please let me know via PM ONLY, BEFORE the CONCLUSION OF BUMP DAY. If you do this, I will be willing to offer you a private run between Monday and Wednesday before the race. I prefer not to do this, however. Please try to make it if possible on one or both of those two days.

You will be PMed the password for the server if you meet the entry requirements. This will be PMed to you Friday overnight into Saturday.

The NDR server is now set on the Oval until after the 500. Go there to practice at your leisure. This thread is for qualifying discussions only. Talk about expectations, ask questions here, et cetera. We can't wait to see it, with more than 30 eligible, qualifying will be tough. Good luck !

Qualifying Timing
Quote from dekojester :If a driver has a connection loss during his attempt, the attempt will not be charged.

This may be open to abuse, no? People can just "force" a timeout if they think their time is too bad.

Or is there a way to see if it's a genuine timeout?
#3 - J@tko
Quote from zeugnimod :This may be open to abuse, no? People can just "force" a timeout if they think their time is too bad.

Or is there a way to see if it's a genuine timeout?

We're trusting everyone.
I wouldn't.
Quote from zeugnimod :I wouldn't.

I don't trust anyone. :P

I keep eyes on things. I know what's dodgy and not.

d
Is it possible for me to miss pole day, and only do bump day, ?
Quote from pacesetter :Is it possible for me to miss pole day, and only do bump day, ?

Yep. You qualify when you can within the two days. The only difference is that pole is only open on day 1.

d
#8 - J@tko
just 1 questions about the conditions.
do u know them already or will they be just like it is at that time in kyoto in the real world(i'm talking about wind). and also what about the time:
will it be 'clear day' or 'cloudy afternoon'?
thx anyway
karkar
Quote from J@tko :Aww - shame eh James?

Oh well, guess someone else gets their turn at p1 for a change, I can win it off p2 though anyway, so it makes no difference.
I'm now sure that i will miss Pole day... may i still qualify in Bump day if i miss first day?
yes it was said earlier in the thread
Quote from dan926 :yes it was said earlier in the thread

Ah, allrighty then, nevermind me.
Is it posible to drive qualify with high ping (above 330 ms)? Because I will be at home for weekend where I don't have very good connection...
Quote from karkar :just 1 questions about the conditions.
do u know them already or will they be just like it is at that time in kyoto in the real world(i'm talking about wind). and also what about the time:
will it be 'clear day' or 'cloudy afternoon'?
thx anyway
karkar

Qualifying will be run on Clear Day and No Wind.

Also, all, please note an addition to the OP. It's highlighted in BLUE so that people might miss it less easily.

d
Quote from Blue_Fatal1ty :Is it posible to drive qualify with high ping (above 330 ms)? Because I will be at home for weekend where I don't have very good connection...

As you will be driving alone your ping doesn't matter. But if you keep timing out there's nothing anyone can do.
is it oke if i just do the bumpday? im not at home saterday night
Quote from dekojester : On Warmup 2, you MUST take the normal line, and do NO tyre warming on this lap.

Is going wide in T3 right b4 timed lap 1 allowed?
Quote from Rudy van Buren :is it oke if i just do the bumpday? im not at home saterday night

Yes, you can run as much (within the 3 attempts, of course) or as little as you like.

Quote from lizardfolk :Is going wide in T3 right b4 timed lap 1 allowed?

Yes, going wide to get a run is permitted.
Deko beat me to it damn him.
a oke dont mis anything then wont make that anyway

edit: and cuss your editing my post looks silly now :P
Quote from Rudy van Buren :a oke dont mis anything then wont make that anyway

No if you qualify on sunday only you are unable to get pole.

... thos not that you'd get pole, you suck arse
Quote from Rudy van Buren :a oke dont mis anything then wont make that anyway

read better timo i just said it myself already that i wont be able to grab pole
Won't make that anyway == I suck arse.

Obviously. I need glasses.
i think it's easy to say that if you haven't lost connection during any of your practice sessions, you won't lose connection during Qualifying. Unless there wasn't many people connected during the practice sessions.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG