The online racing simulator
Fe green, is this a track bug?
(13 posts, started )
Hello all,
First i though an old bug had returned about suspension being much too weak but then i noticed in the replay there is a severe ditch on track causing to a peak sideways g-load of 5.10 and total deformation of the left rear tire which was at maximum pressure. I would expect such things only to happen with under inflated tires, but not with tires at maximum pressure.

I never seen such thing happen during any formula race, so i wonder whether it is realistic. If such a hole was in a real track they would fix it before allowing formula cars racing on it. formula cars in such slides happily bounce all over the place, track or gravel trap, and then continue to race if they didn't hit the wall or something like that.

In the replay its at 2:58:13 with my car(Bluebird) in the fast,but dangerous, full throttle right hander.

Is this realistic or a bug?
Attached images
5_10GinFOX.jpg
Attached files
replaysuspensionbug.mpr - 1.2 MB - 229 views
i would go for a bug. imo its not possible at all to get 5.10g in a fox (exept a crash of course)

and its the wrong replay
btw... ctra wow
It could be a lag
#4 - kaynd
You have attached the wrong replay.
Can’t really say from the photo shat could cause it. It pretty much seems like a flat tire to me which makes it even more strange if the tire is not blown, because I have never sheen a normally inflated tire deform that much just by cornering force even if it is 5G.

But then it's impossible to blow a tire after just one lap racing, so :eye-poppi
You uploaded South City replay.
Wow...that tire didn't want to let go did it!!

looks like a bug imo

IRL a tire wouldn't deform that much,&if it did run through a hole like that it would cause some deformation & possibly pop the tire off the rim.
you sure you didn't touch the dirt with the left rear tire? a quick sudden loss of traction would throw the car sideways like that.
Sorry i uploaded the correct replay now
Quote from bunder9999 :you sure you didn't touch the dirt with the left rear tire? a quick sudden loss of traction would throw the car sideways like that.

Correct, but its about the very high g-load and total tyre deformation caused by ditch in the track. I never seen such a thing happen irl.

Peak g-load is actually 5.11 g lol
It looks fine on mine PC.
Ahh I see, this is not a bug and it is not a ditch that causes it. It’s just that you happened to cross a sudden surface camber angle variation with the wrong line because of the sudden oversteer that the rear tire caused, touching the grass.

In that situation all the weight and downforce of the rear end of the car, loads just one rear tire and here this happens to be the outside already heavily loaded one, hence the extreme deformation. Also the hole car's momentum helped in order to generate this extreme vertical force when the rear left suspension hit it's bump stop.
http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... mp;stc=1&d=1245094521

I took some screenshots from ky oval to give you an easier example of the same case
http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=86552&d=1245094464
http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=86553&d=1245094464

The extreme lateral force that this tire generates falls in another category of tire load sensitivity inaccuracies. In LFS no mater how heavily you load a tire it will produce more and more grip. It might not be linear more_load -> more_traction which would be completely wrong but it is not as far from that as it should.
Attached images
surface_angle_fe1.jpg
surface_angle_fe.jpg
surfaceangle_oval_example.jpg
tire load caused by road surface camber variations.jpg
extreme load suspention travel ends.jpg
@kaynd

I agree, but i think the effect is way too strong. In your very nice screen shots(!) it is visible the force might be a bit on the high side I doubt if kv-oval is an good comparison, because banking there is much higher and still.. you could not reproduce the same effect?

Also note, on FE the lifting from the right rear wheel is caused by the extreme grip of the left rear tyre, on kv oval its the banking which is causing it.

Its also weird the suspension travel ran out, settings are for fe track.. Rather high ride height; springs and dampers are set rather stiff compared to the ride height.
It would take 2900Newtons of force on one wheel at minimum! Minimum, because the anti-roll bars wiill make the suspension stiffer when cornering or sliding just like this. Anti-roll should have added at least 1950Newtons of extra springs tension in this particular situation. Total of at least 4850N on top of normal loading because of the weight of the car. I did not take into account the extra resistance the dampers would have given to resist the "shock" because i have no idea how to calculate that.

Does such heavy loading also happen irl with such corners? i don't know hehe
I was not trying to reproduce the effect; I did try to give you a basic understanding on what it is causing it.

In ky oval I am just sitting there stationary trying to give an example of how tire loads are affected when crossing the point where the "bank" meets the flat road.
At that specific part of FE there is a similar "bank" just with a smaller camber angle, producing the same effects. It's just harder to spot in screenshots.
http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... mp;stc=1&d=1245167427
http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... mp;stc=1&d=1245167427

You are going the wrong way if you just add Newton. This applies only when sitting still an doing nothing.
When moving and hitting small sharp bumps that force the vehicle's mass to accelerate instantly on it's vertical axis, it's an other story... you have short bursts of forces way higher than the actual weight of the car.
We are talking about moving mass that contains some kinetic energy here, having some inertia.. etc. The sky is the limit when something tries to absorb that energy.
Especially when there are not that many things absorbing energy in a clinical simulated environment. (only tyres and dampers, no chasis-suspention components flex).
If you hit the bump stops, meaning that the dampers can not absorb anymore energy, then it is normal getting some pretty nasty peak forces...

If you pay attention to your replay in forces view, attend the car from the follow camera so you can see all four tire loads, you will spot many places when your suspension bottoms out on bumps (force bar goes red).
(Talking about the replay you have uploaded)

Attached images
fe surface banking.jpg
fe surface banking_forces.jpg

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG