The online racing simulator
Website suggestion: Centralized league access
Registering a new account on forum after forum every time I want to join a new league is a pain in the arse. Several leagues have been given subforums here, but most consist of a few posts that amount to little more than "come join our league on this other website!". They might as well just be links instead of proper subforums.

I realize that a single subforum might not be enough to fit a league organizer's administrative needs. Would it be possible to give league owners more control over their subforums, to create a structure of message boards that fit their needs so they don't have to make their own?

Perhaps also incorporating some of the features of the other websites, like the OWRL's calendar and race signup method. A central calendar where any league owner could add his or her events.

Basically I want to be able to sign up for any league by using my current lfs login.
#2 - ORION
Uhm I doubt that you will be able to sign up for ANY league with your current lfs network login data. This would require direct access to either the password database (to transmit this data to the other servers, where the forums are hosted), or 200 admins in this forum. Unthinkable!
Anyways, I dont see a point in signing up for all the leagues - maybe you drive 2 or 3 of them, any if you cant remember your login data, just write it down or get firefox
Quote :This would require direct access to either the password database (to transmit this data to the other servers, where the forums are hosted), or 200 admins in this forum.

You're assuming that what I'm suggesting is to simply send the login info for all users to any two-bit forum related to lfs. On the contrary, what I want is more use of the league subforums that have been created here on lfsforum.net precisely so that I don't have to go to other forums hosted on other servers and so that people don't need to host other forums on other servers to manage discussion of their league.

My vision of it would be to give league owners little fiefdoms here with enough control to make more subforums under their current ones if they need them and control who can read them or write to them. For example, if you have a subforum for posting an event's server password you could restrict it so only members of your league could view it. Or you could simply send a PM with the info to all members of that group.

This can be done through things like permissions set in group memberships, which I have seen done in many general interest forums. Even the Clean Racers Club has subforum access defined by memberships in usergroups for applicants and full members. It's a pretty common feature. A league owner wouldn't need to know someone's password to add or remove their name from a group.
its a nice idea i see where you are coming from but there really would not be any real security.

1.) Only an Admin can actually create the sub forums. That would mean that the league runners would have admin on this forum and that is a bit dodgy imo.

2.) It would make things awkward as moderators of this forum would need to see into the Private Sections of those league forums to be sure that the FS Forum is being kept clean and safe.. This would basically make the point of there being private forum sections in these league sections.

Those are the main 2 points from my opinion. most of these leagues alreade have a community at their sites anyway now and many incorperate the forum into their website structure.

I know what you are saying cannonfodder. But the best way is the current way.. The subforums here are more for announcements and publicity of the event.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG