The online racing simulator
Computer Crashing
(47 posts, started )
Computer Crashing
Hello all,

I have a big question because i have a big problem and its annoying. my problem is after some time, when i browse on internet, my computer completly freezing and stay freezed, its happen like 1 to 2 time per days, depend of how much time I browse on internet, and i need to restart it all time. My question is, how can i fix this problem, if anyone have experienced that in the past. I runed an anti-virus and he didnt found anythink. and i dont want to reformating my computer, so please, can anyone help me on this ?
Got some PC info? And what OS? It could be your ram or whatever
Well im not really good in computer, its an 2005 HP media center edition. 200GB hard disk, 1GB ram, ATI Readon express 200 serie graphic card, ADM64 athlon processor, running windows XP
Quote from TopThrillGTR :Well im not really good in computer, its an 2005 HP media center edition. 200GB hard disk, 1GB ram, ATI Readon express 200 serie graphic card, ADM64 athlon processor, running windows XP

Do you get anything like high temps, or high usage of RAM? Or does it also happen when it's idling.
My temps is arround 25 to 40 celcius so that fine, its not happen on idle, only when i browse on internet long time, when i run a game and its take all the ram its doesnt do that. only when browsing on internet. and normally i browse in same time than lfs run. but its not freeze when i play lfs.
Also, how long have you had this pc? You could try clearing out all the junk temp files with this: CleanUp 4! Choose this "Primary download site (setup program): CleanUp40.exe" <== Direct download. Read before downloading!
well the cleanup program seem to be too much complicated for me so.
I use 2 of the free ones on iobit, Advanced SystemCare Free and Smart Defrag. Totally free and have sped my pc up quite alot TBH.

I havent tried the 3rd one yet, which is game booster, but i am about to.

Link ------> http://www.iobit.com/
i will try that but i doubt its will work
#11 - CSU1
Quote from TopThrillGTR :...

See if creating a new user account stops the problem, also post a list of running processes from Task Manager.
How can i copy the presesse list ?
+10000000

CSU has given the biggest bestest piece of advice so far.

Names of processes can be vague, but if you have like 100 running then there will be alot that you do not need.

If you post a list of what they are then between us, im sure useless processes can be identified.

On my XP home SP3, there were about 15 processes that i have disabled with no ill effects at all, as it turns out they were all for LAN and other shizzle for workplaces and stuff that the home user simply does not need but MS set them so they are running just in case.

My pc is very old, but is much more responsive after disabling un needed/useless processes.
Quote from TopThrillGTR :How can i copy the presesse list ?

If you have XP, then hit CTRL ALT DEL on the keyboard to launch the task manager, then click the processes tab, (2nd one from the left) and the easiest way to save is to just press Prt Scr and then open paint or photoshop, click paste, and save as a JPG, then post it as an attachment on here so we can see them all.

Depending how many processes you have then you may need to do the above once and scroll down in task manager and do it again as they wont all fit in one screen, so just attach as many files as you need until you get them all.
Sounds like the same computer as mine. Mine is the Compaq version, his the HP version. Same year, same internals, yes, if he doesn't know anything about computers, there will be a ton of processes running. Stupid and useless processes.

I think I had 50+ processes when I booted my computer for the first time. It took me months to clean the stupid thing all out and getting it capable of running LFS even in it's most simplest form. I now have 16 processes running.
i have 74 processes but take screenshot is way too long
Just take 2 or 3 until you have them all.

presuming you're on XP, 74 is a stupidly large amount of processes to have running.

I have 39 processes running at the moment and even thats a hell of a lot for me, im just doing lots of scan and stuff, plus photoshop is open, MSN is running, etc...

So, in order to help advise you better, we do really need to know what we are dealing with.

Get posting these screenies mate, help us to help you!

There the pic
Holy shittyolies, look at that!

That is loads!

Right, well i know for sure of a few processes that you can kill...

Ituneshelper
Notification-LiveSearch
CursorFX
ipodservice
AppleMobileDeviceService
Mise-a-jour Livesearch

These are processes that are related to things you may have running in the background, but are safe to kill because if you need a program that uses them, they will just restart when you open that program.

I dont recognise alot of those but as you will have many different programs to me, i don't know what they are.

You only actually need about 20 or so processes for windows to run stable but as i dont want to make programs you use not work i will let someone else who knows more than me about more processes and programs take over from here mate
Ye i hope someone will help me on this
Quote from TopThrillGTR :How can i copy the presesse list ?

Open up command prompt (press Windows Key + R, type in CMD then hit enter). Now type the following:

tasklist > processes.txt

Now you should have a file called "processes.txt" in the folder which is listed at the left side of the text you typed (like C:\Users\John). Browse to that folder (My Computer -> C -> Users -> John), find the file called processes.txt and add it as an attachment to the forum here (create a new post, press the Manage Attachments button, select the processes.txt file and upload it). It's easier to look at a text file than it is to go through a screenshot.

Your instability sounds more like a problem with the RAM or the PSU (Power Supply Unit) that a software problem, but some of the processes in the list (sqlsrvr.exe, for example) look a bit dubious. You can check your RAM by using Memtest86+. You download the bootable image file, burn it to a CD then boot your machine with the CD in. The program will test your RAM by writing and reading patterns to make sure what it writes to it is the same as what it reads back. If you have any serious problems with your RAM you should see some errors appearing on the display. You should run the application for about 12 hours or until you see an error appearing. You can leave it running overnight if you wish. It will run until you stop it, so when you want to stop it just exit it, remove the CD and reboot your PC.
don't worry my computer is crap at lfs too
Quote from amp88 :Open up command prompt (press Windows Key + R, type in CMD then hit enter). Now type the following:

tasklist > processes.txt

Now you should have a file called "processes.txt" in the folder which is listed at the left side of the text you typed (like C:\Users\John). Browse to that folder (My Computer -> C -> Users -> John), find the file called processes.txt and add it as an attachment to the forum here (create a new post, press the Manage Attachments button, select the processes.txt file and upload it). It's easier to look at a text file than it is to go through a screenshot.

Your instability sounds more like a problem with the RAM or the PSU (Power Supply Unit) that a software problem, but some of the processes in the list (sqlsrvr.exe, for example) look a bit dubious. You can check your RAM by using Memtest86+. You download the bootable image file, burn it to a CD then boot your machine with the CD in. The program will test your RAM by writing and reading patterns to make sure what it writes to it is the same as what it reads back. If you have any serious problems with your RAM you should see some errors appearing on the display. You should run the application for about 12 hours or until you see an error appearing. You can leave it running overnight if you wish. It will run until you stop it, so when you want to stop it just exit it, remove the CD and reboot your PC.

I didnt know that way lol.

He has 74 processes, thats far too many IMO, all we need to know is what he can kill, or disable in services.msc, and i aint confident enough of what all those processes do, as he will have programs and applications running that i dont have on my pc.
And now for the question that nobody's asked, but was the first one that popped into my head when I read what your PC does...

Does it also happen when you browse using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox?

If it does happen when using Internet Explorer then continue disabling services (send us a txt file with them and I'll tell you which ones you can do without). If it doesn't, uninstall Firefox, and reinstall it from scratch. The 3.0.10 update messes up the profile sometimes, and that can cause these problems.

Before everyone here starts moaning about my approach... I'm a systems administrator, and a support technician... I know what I'm doing... Really... I do.

Computer Crashing
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG