The online racing simulator
Mercury 5yr anniversary & closing
(114 posts, started )
On May 22nd 2004 Mercury racing was born, and on May 23rd 2009, the day after our 5 year anniversary we’ll be closing the team down.
It isn’t a decision we’ve taken lightly, the vast majority of the team have been involved in LFS since v0.1 days of 2002/03, and we’ve had some great times in LFS. Sadly the last 18 months or so has been quite disappointing in LFS, for the last year or so we’ve kept up appearances in leagues, but with nothing changing in LFSs development and no sign of improvement in the level of interest in racing with LFS, we’re not going to force our drivers to race in something they’ve no desire/passion to keep on playing and there aren’t signs of things arriving which will help motivate interest either.

Why Close...
The decision to close the team down was something we discussed behind closed doors 2 weeks ago, only 1 thing has really kept the team active in the last 12 months and that’s been MoE and even thats been a stuggle, aside from that there’s very little motivation to keep on racing. We’ve always prided ourselves on only inviting drivers we’ve felt would build upon the team, and while im sure we’d have been able to recruit plenty of new members allowing us to keep the team going, the core part of Mercury wouldn’t be there and we’re not interested in watering down what we’ve achieved simply to keep the team name going, while building an almost completely new team in a game which is seeing the racing aspect of its community fade away. Mercury is/was as much about being part of a family as it was a racing team, its the people who have made it special, not the name, and replacing the people just to keep the name was never going to work.

We'd like to thank...
Regardless of how the future looks in LFS, in the 5 years we’ve been together as a team we’ve had a lot of fun, we wanted to start something special and become recognised as one of the best teams in LFS, we feel we’ve achieved that and we’ve been fortunate to be involved in some of the best races & events witnessed in LFS. We’d like to thank the LFS Devs for what they’ve done, we understand their approach to their ‘game’ and we’ve always applauded the fact that they’ve aimed for perfection rather than a deadline so they can rush something through, its just a real shame that the pace of development has got to a point where the part of the community we are involved in has been gradually fading away for the same reasons we’re calling it a day. The fact that LFS has been around for over 6 years for many of us, and there still isn’t anything around which comes close to matching what LFS has, even as an unfinished product, which speaks volumes for what they’ve achieved. Its the game which brought us together, without their hard work we wouldn’t have met and formed such a great relationship with each other, so we’ll always be thankful for that.
We’d also like to thank the vast number of league organisers who’ve given us a reason to form as a team, a target to aim for, and something we’ve had hours and hours of enjoyment from. Your dedication to providing something for the community to enjoy, from short sprint races to 24hr endurance races, we owe you guys a huge thanks because our reason for creating the team was to be involved in these events, to take the racing serious and have fun doing just that, and every season the leagues have got better and better, and its good and well being in a racing team, but without the leagues there’s just no point.
Lastly, thanks to everyone in the community, it kinda makes event racing more enjoyable when theres other people to race against, and we’ve certainly had some great races over the years. As a whole the level of racing at the top has been great, and having competition who are honest, fair and challenging has given us some great memories and we hope that never changes.

Going out with a bang...
This coming week quite a few of the guys who’ve been inactive for some time will be coming back and we’ll be spending most week nights on our server and having one last week together, we’ll be throwing on some of the various skins we’ve used over the years and remind ourselves of the fun we’ve had over the years. The server will be private, but we’d like to invite the community to join us as we celebrate our time together, I’ll post the password in this thread for Monday and hopefully the people who want to join us will do so, without the risk of random folks joining and ruining races.
We’re not entirely sure what we’ll be doing on Friday 22nd, but chances are it’ll just be team members only, other nights will be open to others to join us. Hopefully we’ll get some good racing and we’ll go out with a bang rather than a whimper.

Life after Mercury...
On the 23rd we’ll be officially closing the team down, we’ve already passed on our support and best wishes to our drivers if they wish to look for another team, and im sure those who are still interested in being part of a team will make inquiries with those teams when they are ready, in the meantime we’d ask that people refrain from sending PM’s to everyone. If any of our drivers wish to receive offers then they can post in this thread making their intentions clear, and you can get in contact with them.
I think a fair amount of us will still be found running the skins on the rare occasion we're racing regardless of the team being closed, we had hoped to use the 5yr occasion to bring everyone together and try and remotivate, but sadly we're all people who want to race competitively, but the time required to be at the level our drivers insist on being at means you can only really do it if your motivated and passionate about it, and unfortuately that time passed quite a while back.

Thanks,
(\/) Mercury Racing Team.

Server: (V) Mercury Racing
Password: cya

Just a small update to things:
1) Server password is posted above, i'd imagine a few people will be in there from 20-22UTC till quite early hours
2a) Anyone who wishes to, will be allowed to run in Mercury colours for the week ONLY inside the Mercury server, its not a forced thing but everyone who wants to is welcome to do so as a bit of fun.
2b) Anyone already in a team needs to make sure them running in Merc colours isnt going to cause any strife, we dont wanna hear about people being kicked out cos they're driving in another teams colours, but if they're cool with it, great.
http://mercuryracingteam.com/skins/

I've put LX4 @ KY2r (KY2r is good fun with any car) which i think most people would enjoy as a fun car, im sure we'll swap tracks from time to time but i think we'll probably stick to a specific car/class per night rather than keep swapping around.
awwww.... Good luck for every team member for the future
Grats for 5 years
gratz for 5 years and....what....wait, closing? nooo, anothermasterpiece is gone :sad: , wish all your (former)members good luck, I'm sure they find a place to fit in perfectly
Shocking news, but a fantastic post written in a positive way. Although it's sad to see a team of Mercury's calibre fade away, having a team running for five years is a simply stunning achievement. I've had great pleasure commentating, and racing (and losing) on and with the guys from Mercury and, I can assure you, they've provided nothing but entertainment (and some controversy for good measure) for me. Good luck to all the drivers and on behalf of the LFS community, thanks for being one of the teams that everyone wants to beat and for providing us with some of the excellent drivers who are still active today.

My post seems over-written? Probably yes. But that's how I feel. Congrats on five years and good luck, once gain.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Shocking news, but a fantastic post written in a positive way. Although it's sad to see a team of Mercury's calibre fade away, having a team running for five years is a simply stunning achievement. I've had great pleasure commentating, and racing (and losing) on and with the guys from Mercury and, I can assure you, they've provided nothing but entertainment (and some controversy for good measure) for me. Good luck to all the drivers and on behalf of the LFS community, thanks for being one of the teams that everyone wants to beat and for providing us with some of the excellent drivers who are still active today.

My post seems over-written? Probably yes. But that's how I feel. Congrats on five years and good luck, once gain.

well said!
That's sad to hear/read.

+1 to most of what Passo said.
Sad news indeed guys, I have always looked up to Mercury and wish you all the best in the future
I'll pay Ex-Mercurys to drive with me... sad news but it's good in a way to put pressure of how bad LFS is now, how boring is turning and how repetitive will be if we stay this way...1 of many teams has already fallen because of this, and that team is the best ever made imo... sad.
#9 - amp88
Sad to see one of the giants of the LFS world closing down. I've enjoyed being beaten by Mercury drivers many times and I've also enjoyed watching the skill in driving particularly in the 2008/2009 MoE season (which I'm glad to have been a small part in the organisation of). Anyway, it's sad to see Mercury go but I'm sure some of the team will continue on.

All the best, thanks guys
Sad news... We'll miss your team.

Will try to join your fun next week, if possible. I want to see you "oficially" in action for ze last time.
Sad news. Mercury was something like a reference for me, so it's sad to see it disapearing. Also, shame that I probably won't be with you for your last official race. Good luck for the future anyway, and indeed this article was nicely written.
Woot thats a shock, Mercury closing his doors.
from the write Paul I can see its well thought out. Pitty to see a team with that calibre shutting down. Thanks for all good races and the best of luck to all (ex) members.
Sad indeed.
Sad news. Good luck in the future, guys!
This is suck.
Being a top team for 5 years running in the same game is certainly something to be proud of
very sad to hear that one of the foremost teams in LFS is closing. You always know when a driver with the characteristic M symbol comes on the server you're in for a hard time!

Thanks for some awesome time watching MOE and other leagues......

Remember any drivers still wanting to race are welcome to pop by www.rsradicals.com
Real sad to see one of the best team's in history (if not the best) go down.

Good luck to all involved and I wish you a good time in that place they call "real life".
Altough i wasnt part of the first 3 years of mercury / lfs, from the first moment i got into lfs the told me that mercury were the big guys.
Since that point ive always had some point of looking up to mercury and its still a bit there, sad to see it ending like this but i still hope to see some of you guys online sometimes
The Mercury Racing Team has long stood as the measuring stick in LFS. Congratulations on 5 years and good luck to the past and present members that have and still make up one of the truly elite teams in LFS. Thanks for your contributions to LFS and sim-racing in general.
Sad news, but it's nice to see your verbosity used to such positive effect for once, Paul.

Merc has been a great team to compete with and look up to for years now. It'll be sad to continue on in LFS leagues without them.

Good luck to all the drivers who choose to continue on.
Not exactly surprising, but still very sad news

Good luck to all (ex)Mercuries in the future!
Mercury have been always one of my fav. teams in LFS, sad to see it closing like that, but there's nothing to do. Good luck to all of you.
I wish all the best, and hope for some more good races with you after all, if the drivers will still be driving from time to time.
Let's all hope the development process gets a kickstart, sad to see the vanish of so many good racers/team during the past year.
Sad news indeed. Mercury always been a top team in lfs, in endurance races, aswell in individual drivers/performances. The closing wasn't a totally surprise, seen the relative inactivity the last time. But i'm sure we'll miss you guys in leagues like MoE.

Btw, nice post Paul. Let's have some nice races in the follow week, always great races with such a great drivers. Good luck to all of you!.

(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG