The online racing simulator
Advanced Brake Options Suggestion
Well, I did not find similar threads and I do not know is there talked about but...

Advcaned Brake Systems.

I think that GTR cars have Brake Discs, but are normal road cars, if like older ones have Brake Drums? Also what about Brake Blocks, Brake Cylinders and other Brake Parts ? I know it is not needed at now but is it allow to change values of these? And I do not mean tuning , only similar like tire preasures but brakes?
Not sure if LFS needs more of that stuff, we get ABS soon too, but every little detail is nice (more details to anything is nice). So I guess I give it a +1, alltho I will not miss it if it doesn't come in LFS
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :I think that GTR cars have Brake Discs, but are normal road cars, if like older ones have Brake Drums?

Not necessarily. Disc brakes have been around in the mainstream since the late '50s. Having drum brakes would not really add anything to the simulation unless brake damage was simulated and even then the only added affect would be that you might get some self-energizing lock-ups going instead of just brake fade.
Quote from The Very End :Not sure if LFS needs more of that stuff, we get ABS soon too, but every little detail is nice (more details to anything is nice). So I guess I give it a +1, alltho I will not miss it if it doesn't come in LFS

I'm pretty sure we already have ABS in LFS so thats not a good argument :P

and what is Advanced Brake System? :O
ABS is the same as brake assistance, but on the paper it's not the same. The test patches has ABS settings in setup screen, and then we can say that we have a propper ABS system in LFS
Quote from Feffe85 :I'm pretty sure we already have ABS in LFS so thats not a good argument :P

and what is Advanced Brake System? :O

haha I did not meant ABS, I just writed that for suggesting different brakes in each car
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :haha I did not meant ABS, I just writed that for suggesting different brakes in each car

yeah well that ABS answer i gave was to the other guy :P

Quote from The Very End :ABS is the same as brake assistance, but on the paper it's not the same. The test patches has ABS settings in setup screen, and then we can say that we have a propper ABS system in LFS

for me, the ABS in lfs is "proper" dont think we will get an ABS system in LFs that works better tbh..

and no, brake assist and ABS aint the same thing..
Well, i don't know what to say. It is not 100% necesarry, as you said.
But, IMO it would be nice to have the feeling of drum braking, and also the idea of brakes damage would work just fine.
+1
I could be wrong, but I think there's no difference in the two systems that couldn't be handled by one universal lfs model.

As for the production cars: Lots of small cars have drums in the back... and you definitely don't go "oh yeah, totally feels like drums in the back" when driving them. They brake and they fade. I think it's pretty much the same for all kinds of friction brakes.
#11 - XmaX
It would be nice when the GTR's have Ceramic disks, which lights red when braking long and hard
Quote from XmaX :It would be nice when the GTR's have Ceramic disks, which lights red when braking long and hard

yes, that would be really great.

i still play gtr2 just because of eye-candies like this.
LFS brakes never get heated.  Why ?
Edited.
TVE: You know, comments like that will make someone upset. I suggest we start improving on the LFS Manual or something. You know, create content instead of bitterly refreshing the forum page.

I do not want to argue. Nobody enjoys reading that. Nobody benefits from it.

So let's do something productive for LFS!
True, I'll edit the comment, alltho I did write in white text.

As a more in dept answer of why the brakes don't overheat I don't know, but it would be pretty hard to code. I canot remember a game that has this feature, and personally I see things more important than brake heating.

That's just me at least.
Modelling brake heat and brake wear would add a new dimension to racing in LFS. If you took a 'real' XFG out onto Blackwood you'd quickly run out of brakes. A low end model like the XFG would almost certainly have rear drum brakes in real life (especially considering it looks like something from late '80s or early '90s) and drum brakes are a lot more susceptible to high temperatures (and therefore more fade and wear) than disc brakes. As the rears started to fade more than the fronts the brake balance would effectively move further forwards which would make it easier to lock the fronts, aswell as generally taking longer to stop.

Something else to bear in mind when talking about brake temperatures is how much following cars closely effects things. Rather than being in clean, undisturbed air you're in a more turbulent, hotter air stream. This means the brake cooling is less effective so you will generate higher temperatures. In cars with ducting for the brakes you could also damage these ducts by having a collision with a wall or another car. Brake pad/disc wear would bring in another element (especially in longer races) where drivers would be forced to change the pads (and possibly discs) to keep good braking performance.

Another thing to implement would be pad knock-off (when you corner aggressively or leap aggressively over kerbs or bumps the brake pads can be knocked away from the disc face). Knock off occurs more at the front wheels than the rears and it can have a large effect on the braking. If the front pads are further from the disc face than the rears when you apply the brake pedal you will instantly get braking force at the rear but it will take some time for the front pads to make contact with the discs. This can cause a massive amount of rear braking percentage momentarily, causing you to lock the rear wheels or to induce some instability in braking. To combat this problems drivers generally give the brake pedal a tap (often called a "safety tap") on straights to make sure the pads are near the disc face and to ensure they have a good brake pedal for the next time they apply the brakes.

The brake 'simulation' at the moment is very basic and leaves a lot of room for improvement.
Quote from The Very End :True, I'll edit the comment, alltho I did write in white text.

As a more in dept answer of why the brakes don't overheat I don't know, but it would be pretty hard to code. I canot remember a game that has this feature, and personally I see things more important than brake heating.

That's just me at least.

Pretty much every ISI/Simbin game has it, and it adds a lot to races which take longer than 20 minutes.
How does it work out for avarage 10 minutes races in those games?
And does it manage to keep track on the braking with locked wheels and not? I guess the locked wheels will not cause brake heat, since it's no ressistance since it's looked, rather than having a propper downbraking?

Don't get me wrong, it's a good suggestion, I just think it will be a pain in the ass to implent in LFS
Quote from The Very End :[SNIP] ...I just think it will be a pain in the ass to implent in LFS

Not if you know what you are doing. That's like saying to a carpenter... "It must be hard to make a cupboard, I mean the wood, it has to be square along the edges, and evenly cut".
Quote from amp88 :A low end model like the XFG would almost certainly have rear drum brakes in real life

I agree, but I'm not sure you would get to heat rear brakes that much even in a long-ish race, seeing that bias is most often than not set between 72 and 77% IIRC.

The front ones would fade out first anyway IMO.
Quote from NightShift :I agree, but I'm not sure you would get to heat rear brakes that much even in a long-ish race, seeing that bias is most often than not set between 72 and 77% IIRC.

The front ones would fade out first anyway IMO.

Totally agree. I used to have a small cookie-box with discs in the front and drums in the back that I "raced" up and down the hills and passes. I soon mounted better discs (with holes and stuff) in the front as I really killed the stock ones. But even after this, the front brakes would give up first and I had to be careful because the back would lock up first.
Quote from amp88 :To combat this problems drivers generally give the brake pedal a tap (often called a "safety tap") on straights to make sure the pads are near the disc face and to ensure they have a good brake pedal for the next time they apply the brakes.

safety tap for carbon brakes also to heat them... hm... ceramic/carbon/steel brakes for different race lenght
that would be great to see the brakes become red in a replaymovie.
But if they do that, a lot of brake discs, people make using photoshop, will not be needed anymore...
also an option to choose the color of the brake calliper or to add "brembo"or something on it

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG