The online racing simulator
Refueling ban since 2010
(51 posts, started )
Refueling ban since 2010
1984? You mean 1993, right?

Won't they just fit bigger tanks? Or do you think they'll leave it as it is, and all run out 70% of the way through the race?
It will very likely result in heavier cars with less power...

Great, some more stupid rules and the Forumla Superleague will be the new F1 (in terms of Speed and Power)
Quote from tristancliffe :1984? You mean 1993, right?

Won't they just fit bigger tanks? Or do you think they'll leave it as it is, and all run out 70% of the way through the race?

Well idk about the real date, sorry. And yes, improvement of tanks will be accepted for sure.
#5 - need
Quote from ATHome :
Great, some more stupid rules and the Forumla Superleague will be the new F1 (in terms of Speed and Power)

I've been hoping they would get rid of refuelling for a while now. Since it's common for the teams to try and win the race in the pitstops.
Now they just need to get rid of the tyre changing during the race (except for punctures) and we'll be back to the drivers/teams having to overtake in order to win/score more points, etc...
Or just watch MotoGP and/or World Superbike. No refueling or tire changing business, just a sprint to the finish with more passing than you can shake a stick at.
Quote from need :I've been hoping they would get rid of refuelling for a while now. Since it's common for the teams to try and win the race in the pitstops.
Now they just need to get rid of the tyre changing during the race (except for punctures) and we'll be back to the drivers/teams having to overtake in order to win/score more points, etc...

+1 that.

Oh and on the point of "stupid rule changes ruining F1".. what a load of rubbish. If the FIA hadn't kept moving the goal posts every so often development in F1 would have stagnated decades ago. Technology advances much faster when the engineers etc are forced to be creative and use new ideas/techniques etc. In fact it's proven historically that technology advances are driven by change, not slowed by it.
Quote from ATHome :Great, some more stupid rules and the Forumla Superleague will be the new F1 (in terms of Speed and Power)

Second fastest single-seaters are... surprise: Formula Nippons. Especially the new ones introduced for this year. Superleague cars are not even as fast as GP2 cars but nearly similar pace.
Quote from deggis :Second fastest single-seaters are... surprise: Formula Nippons. Especially the new ones introduced for this year. Superleague cars are not even as fast as GP2 cars but nearly similar pace.

Didn't knew that. Must be because of better aerodynamics, because the Superleague cars put out 750hp, and thats about the same as an F1 car. But anyway, I still think there will be a time, when F1 isn't the pinnacle of motosport anymore.
Quote from Forbin :Or just watch MotoGP and/or World Superbike. No refueling or tire changing business, just a sprint to the finish with more passing than you can shake a stick at.

MotoGp has been getting duller and duller Without Rossi it would be as bad as F1 if not worse
Quote from Forbin :Or just watch MotoGP and/or World Superbike. No refueling or tire changing business, just a sprint to the finish with more passing than you can shake a stick at.

Motegi was bit rubbish though, you have to admit (by MotoGP standards). I blame the rider aids (traction control is for girls no matter how many wheels or how much power you have)
WSB @ Assen this weekend was anything but rubbish, at least Race 1.

Agreed on the TC, though.
Quote from ATHome :Didn't knew that. Must be because of better aerodynamics, because the Superleague cars put out 750hp, and thats about the same as an F1 car.

Formula Nippons' 3.4 litre V8s put out only 600 (+ push to pass), yet the best time from winter tests at Fuji was something like 6 seconds off from best Q2 time in F1. I don't understand much about aerodynamics but I guess they're pretty efficient. At least looks crazy...

Quote :But anyway, I still think there will be a time, when F1 isn't the pinnacle of motosport anymore.

Being pinnacle is also about other stuff nothing to do with technology and even less with hp figures. Pinnacle of technology, that's different and debatable though.
The problem with SuperLeague cars is that they are absolute porkers that weigh around 710kg.
Quote from deggis :Being pinnacle is also about other stuff nothing to do with technology and even less with hp figures. Pinnacle of technology, that's different and debatable though.

I have to agree with you to a certain point, but I think most of what makes the F1 the pinnacle is the money thrown into it. But if they really want to cut the costs drastically, then there is only the hype about F1 left.
#17 - 5haz
Since 2010? Have I lost 2 years or something?

I can't decide wether it will make racing worse or better, we'll just have to see.
Quote from tristancliffe :Motegi was bit rubbish though, you have to admit (by MotoGP standards). I blame the rider aids (traction control is for girls no matter how many wheels or how much power you have)

Traction control is a neccesity on MotoGP bikes. Without it they would be nearly impossible to ride. Of course the number of wheels matter. In a car the worst thats going to happen is that you'll spin. On a bike, if you spin up the wheels, not only do you risk lowsiding but you also risk being highsided. Being highsided at any speed is seriouly dangerous. Anyway, unless things have changed traction contol is only in effect in the lower gears.

To put it in to perspective..

Power of a MotoGP bike is approx 230bhp contact patch is little more than a credit card (46 cm sq). Lets be generous and say 60 cm sq. That's 3.8bhp per cm sq.

An F1 car develops about 800bhp and has a total conact patch of what? 320 cm sq (assuming 325mm width and 50mm longditudinal contact length). That's 2.5bhp per cm sq.

Then compare the actual grip.. the F1 car has a minium mass of 605kg. Lets assume half of it (in reality it will be more) is over the rear wheels. That's 300kg of mass on a 320 cm sq area (coeficient of friction ?? who knows lets just say 1 for the sake of the comparison) so friction force is proportional to 300x1 or 300. For a MotoGP bike the same calculation (with the same assumptions) works out to 110.

So to sum up.. bike has 1.5 times the force per area of contact patch and 0.36 times the grip levels. Making a force/grip ratio 4 times that of an F1 car.

All of the above assumes identical powertrain efficiency and gearing ratios of course. Anyone have any data on "at the wheel" torque figures for either F1 cars or MotoGP bikes??
No Tristan traction control is not for girls.

If it was then i'd know how to set it up in LFS' setup screen

*scratches her head*
Quote from gezmoor :Traction control is a neccesity on MotoGP bikes. Without it they would be nearly impossible to ride.

Of course they wouldn't be impossible to ride, the riders would just need to learn more throttle control.

Traction control doesn't stop being able to spin the wheel on a bike, nor does it stop high sides, as they still happen very offen.

If you know what you are doing, like a lot of the WSBK riders, you can easilly spin the back wheel up coming out of corners without highsiding.

WSBK is where the "real" racing is, of course MotoGP is the technical tour de force, but as we all know, technical doesn't mean good racing.

IMO, the best racing anywhere is in WSBK, period.
Quote from gezmoor :Traction control is a neccesity on MotoGP bikes. Without it they would be nearly impossible to ride

So the day before they first used traction control they were impossible to ride, and now they're easy with less passing? Give me a break - if the riders are any good (and I believe they are somewhat) then they don't need traction control. Even if they had 1000hp and 10 sq.mm of contact patch, weighing 5 grammes and a coefficient of friction of 0.1

I just don't get how anyone can appreciate motorsports fully when the driver/rider doesn't have to worry about throttle control. Or braking when they have ABS. Or cornering when they have stability control. Or gear changing when they have paddles or auto.
MotoGP started to slide once it went away from 500cc 2 stroke. It was inevitable but even Rossi acknowledges they were the best and hardest bikes to master. Like all motorsports in recent years it has become somewhat sanitised
I said nearly people.. and I somewhat get the impression that you guys don't fully appreciate the delicacy of throttle control required already on such lightweight and powerful machines.. "just learn more throttle control" like it's that easy.

Of course people still highside etc but with the bike putting down it's full power in the lower gears out of slower corners you think there wouldn't be even more??

Sorry I have to laugh at some of the responses, if you think motorcycle racers are lacking in "cohonas" and that they implimented TC in MotoGP because they're a bunch of pansies (who lack throttle control) then you seriously know nothing about the sport. I suggest you all stick to car racing with it's 200m run offs, crumple zones and guys crying about not having the right visors for a race.
Quote from gezmoor :
Sorry I have to laugh at some of the responses, if you think motorcycle racers are lacking in "cohonas" and that they implimented TC in MotoGP because they're a bunch of pansies (who lack throttle control) then you seriously know nothing about the sport.
I suggest you all stick to car racing with it's 200m run offs, crumple zones and guys crying about not having the right visors for a race.

No one suggested they were pansies and have no throttle control. Just stating TC is rubbish from a sporting perspective!
Well, with the same (or similar) power and the same (or similar) contact patches and the same (or similar) bike weights they used to manage just fine. TC is there for speed/consistency reasons, and as such merely detracts from the sporting spectacle.

And yes, it is just about "learning more throttle control". These riders aren't amateurs having a go, but paid professionals that are supposedly talented at racing high performance bikes. I would much rather see them paid to race high performance bikes rather than letting the electronics engineers do it for them.

Refueling ban since 2010
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG