The online racing simulator
Anyone using Windows 7?
(64 posts, started )
#26 - arco
Quote from danthebangerboy :After a lot of pissing about the omega drivers do finally work and give me about 90fps in LFS, BUT, i lose the aero bit of win7, and to be honest it looks without it, so i am just gonna leave it looking shiny but with worse FPS until i build a new PC.

Did you rerun the system assessment test?
I followed your link foilpact, but the link on that forum is now dead, however after some hit and miss googling i finally found a driver that.....

1. Was patched to work with windows 7.

2. Was also patched to work with the AGP flavour of card.

But i got the ati driver running in the end, and after a small oh shit moment after i used the auto overclock feature in the CCC which caused the driver to stop responding and restart constantly, but i underclocked it back a little bit and it is all running perfectly well, LFS is a rock solid 60-70 fps and it looks very good running 4xAA and 2xAF in LFS settings and all GFX menu settings set on application controlled, plus i am running lynces reflection pack with carshine set to 0.6.

The best LFS has ever looked or ran on this rig, i love it!
Attached images
LFS on 7.jpg
Yeah, aero is working fine now.

The only thing im having problems with in general with 7 is that no matter what i do with user account settings or folder security settings (bearing in mind im admin on it) it will NOT let me delete my windows.old folder which is the old XP files that are nearly 6gb, apparently i do not have permission from, well, myself for some stupid reason, i want some room back on my HDD damn it!
#30 - arco
Hey All, I tried the WinRar thing and that didn't work. Also I downloaded Zip7 and that also didn't work. It says " Cannot open file as archive" when I use Zip7 and " The archive is either in unknown format or damaged" when I use WinRar.

Please help
Cheers arco, that script worked a treat!
So has anyone tried the speech recognition? I'm using it right now to write this post. It seems to work pretty well, the only problem is that it doesn't seem to work with google chrome [I'm using Internet Explorer now]. Can anyone verify that it works with fire fox?
I have been experimenting with the speech recognition in both fire fox and Internet explorer, and it certainly feels easier to use in IE.

I was surprised at how quick it managed to recognise my voice commands and is better than any other speech recognition program I've used in the past.

Anyway back to do some more testing.

SD.

BTW, this post was made using Internet explorer with no hands: :-)
lol anyone?
Didn't know the thread was about Speech Recognition now...
Hi Mastershake, Could you explain the issue your having?

I see its something to do with file compression, could you be more specific?

I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

SD.
Ok, Thank You!

Well, I have Windows 7 and I downloaded the file.
Now originally I just clicked on it and it asks where to extract, and I say my desktop.
Then it says " C:\users\billy\desktop\LFS_S2_ALPHA_Z.exe is not a supported archive."

So then I came here and I read this thread and so I tried opening it with WinRar.
It says " C:\users\billy\desktop\LFS_S2_ALPHA_Z.exe the archive is either of unknown format or damaged."

THEN haha I downloaded 7Zip... When I open it wiht that I get...
"Cannot open file C:\users\billy\desktop\LFS_S2_ALPHA_Z.exe as an archive"

Hope this helps
Thanks for explaining

So you downloaded LFS (the full version) and it wont extract properly on your W7 desktop.
If you still have the original Zip7 file (LFS_S2_ALPHA_Z) try making a new folder on your desktop first then move the zip7 file into that and double click it then just click run, then extract without altering the destination, if you get the same result (not supported archive) try again but this time right click it and choose "run as admin".

You may have to re-download LFS again, it may be a corrupted archive.

Good luck.

SD.
Didn't work but thanks... Ill try to redownload :/
gah
What build of W7 are you using Billy?

I'm on 7100, seems to be stable as a rock, quick enough, and I really can't fault it, but thats only on my HW

SD.
7100 as well....

UPDATE: HEY! It works... I guess it was the download...weird huh?

Thanks A lot for the help
All good now using build 7600 version pro!

I think it was my uni internet kicking me off as at home its fine!

Weird but hey, it works
Everyone should be using 7600, it's the RTM build. Gonna try it next week
can somebody explain all of the pros and cons of using win7...i am debating wheather i should buy a pc soon with windows vista, or buy the same computer at the same time as i would have, and buy the instalation cd (how much is it btw?)
well i know HP atm when u buy a NEW pc u get windows 7 but all windows 7 is is windows vista WITHOUT all the junk which means quicker boot times and bet er gaming experiance i am gonna get it asap when it comes out i think that this will run nicely on most pc's
#46 - CSU1
...this looks just like Vista too me?

Whats supposed to be the difference?

W7 is up and running as a media server but is wide open as ZoneAlarm moans for lack of sp1(any suggestions for a firewall anyone?), so, with all the bell's and whistles turned off it sure makes good use of available ram and runs alot smoother on the notebooks than any Linux distro, though I don't have the means to test it on a standard PC.

I guess I'll use W7 on all of my clients and keep the penguin for my server, although I'm beginning to thing that little funny little arctic flightless bird is over-rated as of late...I ~thought it's wall was impregnable but alas there they were in iptables coming and going as they please like little tuxedo dressed bastards laughing at my incompitence to set things straight(even though firestarter was in deny mode and I wiped iptables this still was the case).

I hate PC's - I just wish I never knew about firewalls and then my mind would be safe
Windows 7 (english version) is already released
if you have a MSDN account you can get it there .. (if not you have to wait .. uhm, dunno .. something like 2 month? )

i'll switch asap, beta worked fine. Win7 = Vista SP3
Switched from Vista do W7 2 days ago when it was released on MSDN. Yesterday I installed all the Software I needed on my Company Laptop again and it feels definately faster. But I wouldn´t pay 1xx€ for it. If you get a new PC, then maybe with W7 if that´s possible (think you have to wait a few weeks / months). But it´s not worth paying that much money to upgrade IMHO.
As i read somewhere in the not so distant past, window 7 is everything that windows vista should have been.

IMO, it basically looks and works a lot better and has more nice features than vista, and is infanantly faster than the bloatware that is vista, and it is even faster than XP was.

I am running build 7100 on a nearly 8 year old pc, and it really is considerabely quicker than it was when i was running XP, and i only have a 2.53ghz pentium 4 and 1GB RAM!
so if i call dell (because i am in about 5 minutes no matter what) and ask to buy a computer, tell him everything i want, and ask for seven will he give it to me or tell me that i am stupid and should go die of aids

Anyone using Windows 7?
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG