The online racing simulator
Oval racing / NASCAR techniques
(33 posts, started )
At the risk of being lambasted by the hordes of oval haters, I thought I would post here.

Started playing a bit of Nascar 09 on the xbox, and would like to know of any sites/links with information on Nascar racing techniques, racing lines, stratagies etc etc, because at the moment, all I know about Nascar is that you put your foot down and turn left (at least on super speedways!!) .

Cheers
how to keep don't crash while >200mph with 3 cars door to door with you in conner

know when should let other ppl pass you, not only block block block & block will make you faster, but won't be a "yes man" or you will drop to last

not only 1 apex line but the same wider line will give you extra speed on stright line to pass or let your antagonist run away in different times

out-mid-out sometime will better than out-in-out (e.g. XRT @ KY1 T3), but the inner line might be a passing line for the car behind you

while you want to pass with inner line in a o-m-o conner, you might run away, or let him run away who you want to over take
Quote from 510N3D :try this one:

click

Nice read, too bad it only really retains to superspeedways though.

@Danowat: You are playing a game by EA, so 75% of the real techniques can be thrown out of the window.

Most should come as basic common sense. Run by the wall down the straight, run on the white line on the inside in the turns, turn as least as possible to retain from scrubbing speed, etc.

Also remember to get a run off the corner exit to make a pass, and not try to dive in on entry.

None of this info really matters though as it is just another crap Nascar game by EA, just drive and have fun (if possible).
*posts that The Onion video from Youtube* :rolleyes:
Quote from danowat :At the risk of being lambasted by the hordes of oval haters, I thought I would post here.

Started playing a bit of Nascar 09 on the xbox, and would like to know of any sites/links with information on Nascar racing techniques, racing lines, stratagies etc etc, because at the moment, all I know about Nascar is that you put your foot down and turn left (at least on super speedways!!) .

Cheers

Go get a copy of NR2003 from Papyrus, watch the lessons. That ought to get you started.
Quote from danowat :At the risk of being lambasted by the hordes of oval haters, I thought I would post here.

Cheers

i can help for short oval because i race on a quater mile oval
star out close to the outside on the straigt and tap the barkes and turn hard so you are tight into the inside and then float out to the edge for the straight again
thats how i race and i do good and everyone elses i race againt uses this tecneque
Real techniques won't help you much on Nascar 09. Splash out on a copy of NR2003 if you want realism! I haven't played Nascar 09, but I'm having a lot of fun on 03, and I'm told the physics are quite a lot like iRacing's. Well okay the physics aren't perfect, but I have been informed by numerous people that they are thousands of times better than EA's! There are a lot of great mods as well, I've downloaded a lot of stuff, and guess what? It takes up 1.47GB!

There are probably quite a few torrents as well, but don't tell anyone I said that! It is a bit pricey tbh.
#9 - 5haz
N2003s physics are on a par with LFS, if not better perhaps in some areas, such as braking.

Of course iRacing has similar physics to N2003, the same bloke was behind both of them, and iRacing is based on the N2003/GPL game engine, which has been developing since the early 1990s when the original Indy500 came out.
Quote from 5haz :N2003s physics are on a par with LFS, if not better perhaps in some areas, such as breaking.

do you mean the damage model ?
#11 - 5haz
No, sorry, I had a major brain fade there.

Just somehow N2003 really makes you feel like you're throwing a massive 600hp truck round corners, just somehow sometimes it feels a bit more immersive than LFS, especially when the car pitches and lifts a wheel through corners.
Quote from 5haz :No, sorry, I had a major brain fade there.

Just somehow N2003 really makes you feel like you're throwing a massive 600hp truck round corners, just somehow sometimes it feels a bit more immersive than LFS, especially when the car pitches and lifts a wheel through corners.

I've gotta agree with you there! Oh, and I still play on the original Indy500
Quote from Timdpr :It takes up 1.47GB!

My rFactor is 76 Gigs....LOL

Quote from Timdpr :There are probably quite a few torrents as well, but don't tell anyone I said that! It is a bit pricey tbh.

Ya, it's considered a rare game now
09 with full realism, and all aids turned off is actually pretty good IMO, you get a real good sense of weight and power, also, the tyres actually seem in contact with the track with is a bonus.

A huge Nascar on a road track is a lot of fun!!!
If I remember correctly that was the first time they actualy road raced in the rain? Or am I thinking of an earlier race?

I remember a game I had called Andretti racing, the best part of it had to be nascar road racing on the Toronto track, the CNE had a crazy 90º corner that they seem to have changed in the years since the game was made. You litteraly had to come to almost a complete stop to make the corner.

Everytime I see someone mention GPL I want to play it more and more, I never got the chance to, and I feel I've missed out on an amazing experiance.
Quote from DragonCommando :If I remember correctly that was the first time they actualy road raced in the rain? Or am I thinking of an earlier race?

The Montreal race was the first NASCAR points race in the rain. NASCAR has raced in the rain before. In 1999 they raced in Suzuka in the rain but that was only an exhibition race.

They also practiced at Watkins Glen in the rain before but the race never ran in the rain.
i was in the usa at the time and i dont see what the problem is about driving on a roadcorse in the wet. there are things much hardeer to drive in the wet than a nascar so whats the big problem
They don't use rain tyres I think..?
Quote from Alistair :i was in the usa at the time and i dont see what the problem is about driving on a roadcorse in the wet. there are things much hardeer to drive in the wet than a nascar so whats the big problem

Well Nationwide is now going to race in the rain and use rain tires (if someone has info contradicting this plz post it).

As for Cup, the cars are too heavy for the current rain tires that Nationwide uses now. But rumor has it that Goodyear is developing a tire that's made for the CoT in the rain
That would be amazing, but how many times do the road courses get rained out.... Not that much. It seems god only pours rain on the tracks that can't be ran in the rain...
Quote from SidiousX :That would be amazing, but how many times do the road courses get rained out.... Not that much. It seems god only pours rain on the tracks that can't be ran in the rain...

I know from experience that you can count on rain at Watkins Glen at some point every weekend. I've been there for several different events (pro races and track events). It seems like there's always a bit of the wet stuff at some point.

I see the point that you're making. Rain tires for a couple events that may or may not even need them. Shoot, even at Montreal, those tires were quite old. From what I heard, they were made back when the idea of rain tires for NASCAR was first proposed.

Rain tires for Watkins Glen would be nice. Then again, that would be the only cup race worth running in the rain. Ovals are just too dangerous and Sears Point... Well it just aint gonna happen.
IndyCars et al can run on Sears Point in the wet. I don't imagine NASCAR COT cars are overall faster than a Super 2000 car around a road course, and would almost certainly be slower around corners.

Road racing on wets is perfectly doable on all circuits - however, it might be tempting to stick headlights or at least rear marker lights on. On ovals, I don't see it running but it could be testable to see if it could work on a bullring, although the answer would probably be no.
Quote from duke_toaster :IndyCars et al can run on Sears Point in the wet. I don't imagine NASCAR COT cars are overall faster than a Super 2000 car around a road course, and would almost certainly be slower around corners.

Road racing on wets is perfectly doable on all circuits - however, it might be tempting to stick headlights or at least rear marker lights on. On ovals, I don't see it running but it could be testable to see if it could work on a bullring, although the answer would probably be no.

I said what I said because I've never seen it rain at Sears Point. Was more of a joke than anything.

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG