The online racing simulator
Oval racing / NASCAR techniques
(33 posts, started )
Quote from DragonCommando :

Everytime I see someone mention GPL I want to play it more and more, I never got the chance to, and I feel I've missed out on an amazing experiance.

I felt the same way, then about 3years ago I downloaded it and I love it, I always go back to it.
Quote from DragonCommando :Everytime I see someone mention GPL I want to play it more and more, I never got the chance to, and I feel I've missed out on an amazing experiance.

I cannot comment about Amazon Canada, but it's available indirectly from Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grand- ... qid=1238707739&sr=8-1 - and used on play.com et al.

I wouldn't imagine Sonoma is the wettest place in the US, but then again supposedly it's all microclimates and stuff around there. Microclimates can make racing interesting, Spa has seen races where part of the track would be home territory for Ben Ainslie and tbut the other two sectors are is perfectly dry.
Downloaded NR2003 and it's unrealistically crap. You can just slam the cars around like they are on rails.
On ovals with a few different lines, you have to choose whether you want the faster way round or the shorter way round.
Quote from BlueFlame :Downloaded NR2003 and it's unrealistically crap. You can just slam the cars around like they are on rails.

That means you are too damn slow...

Way back when I raced it, it was the most realistic sim out there. Haven't played it for a while, but it's probably not as realistic as I thought it to be at the time. On rails, though, the cars are definitely not when you're on the limit.
#32 - 5haz
BlueFlame, are you using the <easy> setups or the <fast> ones?

The easy setups are pretty docile, and on a superspeedway, the cars do handle like they're on rails anyway.

Yeah, and the above post is about right, I used to run practise laps and I thought I was right on it, car was smooth and everything, and then I went in a race with the AI on 100% and they smoked me.
Quote from danowat :At the risk of being lambasted by the hordes of oval haters, I thought I would post here.

Started playing a bit of Nascar 09 on the xbox, and would like to know of any sites/links with information on Nascar racing techniques, racing lines, stratagies etc etc, because at the moment, all I know about Nascar is that you put your foot down and turn left (at least on super speedways!!) .

Cheers

Beside the standard stuff, there are a couple of things you should keep in mind when racing ovals and setting up cars...

Setups:
1. The car is repeating the same transitions over and over again, so don't bother with all the fancy analysers and stuff... If you're consistently faster and it feels easier, the change was good.
2. You're only turning left. Don't ever think about symmetrical setups on ovals.
3. Each long turn has a couple of 'states' which need to feel good to you. The car can be loose, tight, or neutral. A little loose is good. The states are "braking (or lifting), entry, middle, accelerating, exit", and the car will transition from loose to tight between them. Different states require different adjustments on the car to fix them.

Lines:
1. As a rule, the less distance you travel, the better. Especially on the fast ovals.
2. If you find you are lacking in corner exit speed and get run over by everybody else on the track, try a higher line. This allows you to keep more speed through the corner, giving you better straight line speed.
3. Don't destroy the tires, if the car doesn't like a line, try a different one. There's basically 3 lines available to you, each requiring different speeds and resulting in different tire heat. Try them all and see which is the better line for your setup tire and speed wise.

Strategy:
1. To finish first, you must first finish. Don't try to win a 334 lap race in lap 10. It will come back to haunt you. If there's faster cars behind you, let them go. No point in fighting for positions you won't be able to keep because you wrecked or blew out your tires.
2. Get fresh rubber as often as you possibly can. Every time there's a caution, you should go for new tires. Unless near the end of the race, or you're in danger of getting lapped soon, you should always go for rubber.
3. later on in the race you might opt for track position. Stay out with plenty of laps to go, instead of pitting. Make sure your tires and fuel are going to get you to the next caution, and you're not really slow on the old tires, though.
4. Do whatever the leader does in the final 20 laps. If the leader pits, you pit. If you're outside the top 10, and there's some 20 cars left on the lead lap, pit for rubber, even if the leader doesn't. Chances are you're going to get by a lot of them not-pitters because of the tires.
5. FIGHT THE LEADER TO STAY ON THE LEAD LAP! You don't have to move. You should fight to stay on the lead lap, with all the cautions going on. If you lose a lap you're screwed. Once the leader has passed you, let the rest of them by easily. No need to fight the rest as you're already a lap down.

Superspeedway:
1. Bumpdraft. Don't ever lift off the throttle. Use the brake to gently slow down so you don't knock the other guy into the wall.
2. Find a mate to work with. You're faster with 2 cars than you are by your onesies. Make sure to be friends with one during the race, it may bring you to the front to fight for the win.
3. Don't make your 'winning' move until exiting turn 4 of the last lap.
4. Stay up front, even though you don't really have to. Cars crashing behind you can't crash into you. Trust the big one happening at some point, and at that point it's probably best to not be in it.
5. Hold your line. Don't go back and forth between high and low lines. There's probably 2 or 3 of them where you're at. Don't upset them by trying to change to the faster one every lap. That way you won't end your race prematurely because a 'Smoke' wannabee figures he's had enough of your stupidity and bumps you right into the safer barrier.

That should get you upto speed...

Oh, and I'm a former NR2003S ESCORS champion, so this isn't just someone BSing.

Oval racing / NASCAR techniques
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG