The online racing simulator
lights and electronics
(12 posts, started )
#1 - serpa
lights and electronics
well, in my view all the lights should be improved in a certain way. which of the followings do you agree with ?
1.) turn signals (including hazard lights) = why don't I hear any ticking sound when they are on ?
2.) headlights = there should be even more options such as position lights, low beam, high beam etc.., In the "control" menu, you can assign "flash" to a key but let's be honest it leaves a lot to be desired, I mean the flash in a pit box which is apparently a dark place doesn't even light up the wall. there is no reflection at all. then why is it for ?
3.) hmmmm it's my handbrake. why is it automatically disengaged If want to move off with the handbrake on? and why can't I set it and release it whenever I want ? I've got to hold down the key for handbrake in order to prevent it from being disenaged and it drives me up the wall.

any feedback is appreciated. Best wishes : )
Quote from serpa :well, in my view all the lights should be improved in a certain way. which of the followings do you agree with ?
1.) turn signals (including hazard lights) = why don't I hear any ticking sound when they are on ?
2.) headlights = there should be even more options such as position lights, low beam, high beam etc.., In the "control" menu, you can assign "flash" to a key but let's be honest it leaves a lot to be desired, I mean the flash in a pit box which is apparently a dark place doesn't even light up the wall. there is no reflection at all. then why is it for ?
3.) hmmmm it's my handbrake. why is it automatically disengaged If want to move off with the handbrake on? and why can't I set it and release it whenever I want ? I've got to hold down the key for handbrake in order to prevent it from being disenaged and it drives me up the wall.

any feedback is appreciated. Best wishes : )

1 : Already sugested
2 : Already sugested
3 : mmm , i dont know
you can't really hear the car's ignition either.
I can
Ignition volume is set inside the shift menu. Some custom .eng sound sets have it set too low.

3. Handbrake auto-lock and disengage was introduced when fasle starts were introduced to LFS. The hill at blackwood was a problem for race starts. Cars would roll down at race start. Basically a newbie issue when they didn't know what handbrake key was or weren't ready to engage the handbrake so rolled down the hill when the race was restarted.

Because of this I doubt the auto-lock handbrake will be removed. But it would be nice if tapping the handbrake or pressing it again would release it. Or even just make it so that it would only engage for a race restart AND when stopped if the handbrake was tapped quickly. If it was held down for more than 0.5 sec then it would be nice if it let go when you let go of the handbrake.

You see it also has to cater for people who have real sim cockpit handbrakes that would pull it on for a length of time and leave it locked ON with their hardware.

I think making it only auto-lock engage when when you are stopped and press it for a split second would be great. If you hold it ON for longer that that, it would release when you release. If you used the quick tap to lock it on, then make it so it lets go when you drive off, or tap it again to release, or press and hold it for longer then release to release it.

So to clarify the conditions:

(a) Tap Handbrake ON when car is stopped
-auto-lock handbrake(HB) engaged
-release HB when tapped HB button
-no release HB when you try to move car
-release HB when you hold for a short time and then release (c)

(b) Tap handbrake ON when car is moving
-no auto-lock handbrake(HB)
-release HB when button is released

(c) Hold handbrake ON when car is stopped or moving
-no auto-lock handbrake(HB)
-release HB when button is released

(d) Race restart
-auto-lock handbrake(HB) engaged
-release HB when tapped HB button
-release HB when you try to move car (only here because this is a normal race restart)
-release HB when you hold for a short time and then release (c)

Quote from serpa : I've got to hold down the key for handbrake in order to prevent it from being disenaged and it drives me up the wall.

I dunno if that will get changed, but I made that option in point (a), but it would auto-release when you take off in a race restart condition as in (d)

It's possible that Scawen already considered this type of functionality, but probably thought, screw it - If you stop in the middle of a race and apply the handbrake, then your race is over. I'm not wasting time coding in stuff so you can do parallel parking, car park cruising meets, burnouts and non-race related functionality.

Just a quick release button tap added to LFS would be nice, but then again I would feel like a douche having to reapply a proper handbrake lever when I do eventually get one, just to turn OFF the handbrake.

It's convoluted because LFS is trying to perform a lockable lever function (real HB) into what most people have as a handbrake which is usually a push button.

It just shows how cool LFS physics are. Not once in other games (eg GTR) have I ever stopped, tried doing slow starts, small squirt burnouts and generally play with the car in a stationary position. It's kinda really fun just messing with the car diong stuff in LFS and experimenting. This kinda play just gets boring in other games because the physics are so boring and unrealistic.
Quote from serpa :well, in my view all the lights should be improved in a certain way. which of the followings do you agree with ?

You're in a racing car with earplugs and a helmet on. I don't you're going to hear something as quiet as that, even with the engine off.

Quote from serpa : I mean the flash in a pit box which is apparently a dark place doesn't even light up the wall. there is no reflection at all. then why is it for?

LFS doesn't support dynamic lights, AFAIK.
Quote from JasonJ :You see it also has to cater for people who have real sim cockpit handbrakes that would pull it on for a length of time and leave it locked ON with their hardware.

I'm not sure why do you see that as a problem?

Handbrakes are analog controllers, so LFS would always be able to tell whether the user has one or is relying on a button press, and it could behave in the most appropriate way.
well what I meant was that most people have a push button to operate their handbrake and as mall minority have a pull lever that may actually lock into position like a real handbrake. But I meant a lever hooked up to a button-only switch, maybe one that could lock into place with the user s custom hardware., There is no handbrake standard at this point I thought. I was just pointing out that LFS wouldn't necessarialy know what type of hardware you had. If you had an analog lever, then LFS could detect that yes. But some of those also may not lock into position with the hardware either. They may just be a free moving lever, but would still require a lock performed with the software.

Theres a few different configs possible, perhaps options would have to be available to chane it per user requirements. But still, I dunno if the devs will bother with it because it's not entirely a race feature. But it sure would be nice.
Well if the devs wanted to support DIY handbrakes they could add an option to change the behavior, I don't think that would be too hard

I would certainly like to see the button handbrake improved, as of now it's certainly a bit simplistic!

PS: after this thread I'm going to try and see how analog handbrakes work in LFS, I've never tried that and I love doing uphill starts IRL.
Quote from NightShift :PS: after this thread I'm going to try and see how analog handbrakes work in LFS

It's exactly the same as with the button +1 for better handbrake simulation from me.
Quote from JasonJ :Ignition volume is set inside the shift menu. Some custom .eng sound sets have it set too low.

i'm using the default engine files. i just never hear them...

since we're talking about the sound editor, i think i made a thread some time ago about sound volume normalization... the BF1 is 5000000000x louder than the UF1. (of course, there's a bigger engine, but a lot of sounds in LFS are too quiet IMO)
Check your system, maybe you are using some kind of sound enhancement or an equalizer which messes up things.

Regarding sound normalization, I can't see why a BF1 should be as noisy of an UF1 ?

Road cars have to comply with restrictive regulations regarding noise pollution, whereas race cars don't (or not as restrictive anyway). It's totally expected that latter rip your ears out, the BF1 even more so. If I get fed with the amount of noise I just turn the volume down

lights and electronics
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG