The online racing simulator
Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline
(30 posts, started )
I was in Detroit on a work trip last year. In the suburbs, it is nothing but burned out houses/businesses boarded up with plywood.

Had the camera with me, I have to take a look at what I got on image. My main focus with having the camera was the hockey game we went to, thus I don't think I have much of the surrounding areas.
Quote :...The city population dropped from its peak in 1950 with a population of 1,849,568 to 916,952 in 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit

No wonder there's abandoned buildings just standing there, cut population by half in any city and you'll end up in a bad situation like that. There's no real reason why situation can't be turned around and prices for those land areas must be through the floor. Even if you have to clear away old buildings, it's still probably cheaper than building on fresh land outside some other major city with good connections to main highways. But just attracting industry isn't enough, city needs to work on it's image and services to get people move in, instead of driving them out (as it seems).
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Has a movie ever predicted the future of an American city more accurately than Robocop?

TIME Magazine photo tour

More from the same photographers

Another stunning image + story

It never ceases to amaze me to see just how run down and poor some parts of America are. We have our localised problems here in the UK, but very few are anywhere near that bad and as I said they are on the whole very localised. Not whole districts of cities as exist in the US, from what I've seen reported.

I sometimes wonder how anyone can justifiably call the USA a first world country. It's really sad.
#29 - SamH
The difference between urban decay in the US vs the UK is really all about available real estate.

In the UK, compared with in the US, we're limited in available space. What decays is quickly reclaimed. Urban decay happens in the UK to no less extent than in the US (per capita, obviously) but the signs of that decay are short-lived as urban regeneration kicks in.

In the US, the major problem (IMO) is urban sprawl. Instead of redeveloping land in the city, the trend is to spread out into suburbs and onto farming land. It's cheaper to develop than to redevelop, when you have the option to do either. It'll be centuries before the US experiences the same level of urban compression that we experience here, and until that happens urban decay will have stronger forces than urban regeneration.

Chicago, for example, suffers much less urban decay than many other US cities because of its location. It can't sprawl eastwards because Lake Michigan gets in the way, and it can't spread west because it already did - all the way to Schaumburg (and now beyond). On its south side, there's lots of urban decay all the way to Gary (.. Indiana, You Suck!) because there's very little to prevent the urbanisation of vast amounts of land. Thus Chicago looks prim until you get to its south side.

What stressed me out in the US was the Americans' failure to recognise value in historic buildings - specifically the old barns and farmhouses in rural areas. Even though in comparative terms they're often not that old (100 years or so), they're often left to decay and collapse. I began a project to catalogue the barns before they collapsed, to create a historical record at least. I was always frustrated with my American friends because they yearned to have "a history" like Britain's, but couldn't recognise their own emerging history literally in their own back yards.
I must admit I hadn't thought about it like that. I guess it makes sense if you live in a country where it's easier and cheaper just to build new than to renew. A little short sighted in my opinion though. These run down areas are often a refuge for criminality as well as places where the homeless and destitute can just disappear and therefore be forgotten. Neither scenario is good for a society in general.

Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG