The online racing simulator
Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline
(30 posts, started )
America is an odd place.

But you do have very good films.
Quote from Becky Rose :America is an odd place.

One of the oddest compliments I've heard a non-American pay America on an international forum.

Though Robocop is, of course, an untouchable classic.
#5 - 5haz
Maybe the USA will end up like the UK, city streets full of Estate Agents and office blocks full of call centres.
Absolutely incredible pictures and stories.
#7 - senn
amazing, and sad
We (the human race) are so wasteful :/
The one building in Detroit that has fascinated me is the Michigan Theater:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F ... anTheaterlobbyDetroit.jpg

Probably because of the whole Motown concept and how such an intricately designed and decorated building ended up, fittingly, used for parking. The greatest irony IMO is that it was built upon the site of Ford's first garage. And in sort of like a superstitious idea of it being automotive sacred ground, it returned to cars.
#9 - senn
nice foto xaotik! fanciest carpark ever
#10 - SamH
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Another stunning image + story

After New Orleans/Katrina (cop watches body floating past; shrugs "ain't been ordered to do nut'n") I think the compassion bar was lowered significantly. It's inconceivable to me, and yet it's clearly a reality. Very saddening.
Brilliant pictures. If anyone would like to see more in this style, it's referred to as urban exploration, or 'Urbex' - http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/ is one of the best places to find more pictures and stories of various places.
I simply love this style of taking pictures.
I show the lonlynes and emptynes well it muts be incredible to see siuch large building beigh unsuded an completely abandomed
like its haunted or something.

They all look like places i would find scary
Some cracking photo's there which provoke deep thought and discussion. Really is what photographing is all about when some one walks by starring at me screen and just stops there in the office....mouth on the floor.
Quote from Becky Rose :America is an odd place.

well, were not that odd. Just the people who rioted are. Still, glad they did! Detriot looks so much better when it looks like crap.:lovies3d:.
#17 - JJ72
I have read about it, but seeing it is just another thing.....I mean a major city in a major country can end up like that?
Quote from bbman :And a truely terrifying documentary linked in that thread (about page 4)... Didn't know half about the containment...

Where? Can't seem to find anything.
Quote from bbman :And a truely terrifying documentary linked in that thread (about page 4)... Didn't know half about the containment...

You mean that the Soviet authorities sent normal people (civilians) from all over the USSR to clean up the mess, didn't tell them the dangers and didn't offer protective clothing, meaning some died a slow agonizing death and others had their skin peel off their body?
Thanks.
Quote from bbman :Kalev, do you think I'm stupid?

What? Why?

You said something about containment. I asked if you meant that.... Although there was a small mistake in my last post, overall it's absolutely true. Soviets sacrificed soldiers, not civilians (but since they were young kids forced to do national service in a (for many of them) foreign army, then it's basically the same).
Quote from JJ72 :I have read about it, but seeing it is just another thing.....I mean a major city in a major country can end up like that?

JJ72, look at your private messages please....

P.S: I haven't read this before...

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG