The online racing simulator
More user-friendly JOOS messages.
Hello!
I think a lot of people want this to be changed to something like > Nickname: car power does not match or something like that.
Currently it is just random set of letters which does not makes sense.

It will be nice to add JOOS logging, too..
+1

Or if there is messages that means pretty much, maybe they just could make messages like this "You problem appears to be caused by xxxxx or either xxxxx. Visit link : xxxxx for more info".

Or just more telling messages, so people understand what it means
People who need to understand, do understand.
In most cases there's nothing you as user can do about it, unless you're using tweak or some mod, in which case you
  • hopefully don't play online anyway
  • realize the mod is causing the problem without an elaborate message
I know some JOOS messages... this one appears often:

JOOS - PLY SET CAR WHL ENG RES

player, setup, car, wheel, engine, restriction (?)

But +1 for the "manual" or glossary for those.

edit: shadowww yes, corrected
Quote from Flame CZE :I know some JOOS messages... this one appears often:

JOOS - PLY SET CAR WHL ENG RES

player, setup, car, wheel, engine, resolution (?)

But +1 for the "manual" or glossary for those.

I think RES is Restrictions (like Intake).
What exactly does JOOS stand for ?
Quote from morpha :-1
People who need to understand, do understand.
In most cases there's nothing you as user can do about it, unless you're using tweak or some mod, in which case you
  • hopefully don't play online anyway
  • realize the mod is causing the problem without an elaborate message

Yup, I agree with this.

It's rare a problem is caused by anything other than a bad sync on connection, so merely reconnecting solves it. Otherwise stop trying to use tweak online!
Quote from Zen321 :What exactly does JOOS stand for ?

I'm not sure about the J, but OOS stands for Out Of Sync.
j= LFS
I thought it was asking me if "JOO PLAY WIT MEH?"
Quote from Gills4life :I thought it was asking me if "JOO PLAY WIT MEH?"

I'd love joo too. Wash 'yer hands first.
every time i see JOOS i think of "Jews" and then I think about how racist LFS is...

j/k
I think it must be JOOSUK GTFO - MAIN KTHX BAI for speedhackers
I think giving exact details might actually help hackers figure things out?
So I probably only one to say -1

Personally - I prefer the cryptic message. But maybe I am just a nerd. I feel better when I constanly lose races and I can at some point stand up and say... "Join Out Of Sync " when someone asks ":WTF is that??" online and they think I am awesome LFS professional, but I can't drive to save myself.
Quote from JasonJ :I think giving exact details might actually help hackers figure things out?
So I probably only one to say -1

It's like returning the SQL error when they try SQL Injection..."Table Customers doesn't exit...why don't you try a different name, you might get it right next time and do some real damage".

Are there any occasions where LFS doesn't automatically try to reconnect if you get a JOOS on connect? If not then it doesn't need an error message, because normal players will just see it as a connection gone wrong (but no problem because they'll automatically be reconnected in ~5 seconds) and people who try to hack can sit on it and spin.
Quote from Shadowww :I think it must be JOOSUK GTFO - MAIN KTHX BAI for speedhackers

if this is the case, then must stand for YOU SUCK GET THE FOOK OFF - <random> THANKS GOODBYE

I'd say all the hosts and admins should care of is when they see OBJS message... Other things are most likely temporary problems from the client.

But when you're building a layout and see the message "A new guest is connecting" you should stop and wait till the guy comes online. Actually I always thought that's why there is "A new guest is connecting" message, because when that message shows, the one connecting has just started to download the layout. But I don't know, might be another reason.

Anyway the shortened messages are easy to understand if you think just put some basic logic on it.

Also... To show all the info LFS needs shortened messages, because they have to fit in the chat, don't you think? The best way to report an error is to think of shortened code of the message and have these codes recorded somewhere, or else you would have to spam the chat with too much unnecessary messages, IMO.

So I'm -1 errors to be fully reported in the chat. And about their meaning.... I don't really think it's necessary to have them all explained. Maybe just the ones, that hosts need to know about, and can prevent (so the admins that care about their servers can manage them even better).
Quote from broken :[snip]
But when you're building a layout and see the message "A new guest is connecting" you should stop and wait till the guy comes online. Actually I always thought that's why there is "A new guest is connecting" message, because when that message shows, the one connecting has just started to download the layout. But I don't know, might be another reason.
[snip]

Random info tidbits.....
Not too long ago - pre version V times (before your time at LFS :P) the ability to edit layouts on an online server was not even possible. You could only do it in single player mode. The message "A new guest is connecting" was in use even before that time. As you said it is good to see though because you know to stop adding objects. But I imagine it was there initially so people know someone is connecting. To help locate bugs and problems that might occur during this Joining process.

BTW: I thought JOOS was an acronym for Join Out Of Sync. (or Joining)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG