Safari 4 Beta - Google Chrome Mk II. :P
(47 posts, started )
www.apple.com/safari

Well, a few things I notice that have changed:
1) Looks like it actually belongs in Windows, not a shitty clone of Cocoa
2) Neat way of doing the "Speed Dial" from Opera or the site thingie view in Chrome
3) Moar Coverflow (bookmarks and history)
4) Feels snappier to older versions of it

Under the hood it has a new Javascript engine a la V8 (chrome) and it runs pretty comparable in performance to V8, and they both use Webkit which is very good for implementing the whole W3C standards (along with stuff like CSS3 features added in too). I dunno, but it actually looks... usable now.
There isn't a facepalm big enough to describe what an utter failure the browser war is.

If it even was a proper war with proper dead bodies littered everywhere I might approve, but it's just sweaty nerds whining which hunk of bad code and a silly nametag sucks the most/least.
I basically use what I like at the time. Firefox pissed me of with its "UberBar"... Opera is like jabbing your eyes out with a fork (However Opera Mobile is usable at least)... IE is... well, difficult (from a half-ass n00b web designer POV), and Safari... I dunno... I have some like for it, but then again I have more Apple things surrounding me than Jakg has had pussy.
#4 - Jakg
Cheers, twatface.

Whaddya think of Chrome?
I like it for 2 reasons:
1) Webkit base which has Chrome (and Safari) actually render stuff properly where IE and even oh holy grail Firefox have some rendering ****ups/
2) It's fast.

and ****breath, you know I have a lot of Apple stuff, and you have a girlfriend that you really like, so power to you, I'm just playing

However, looking at the Safari4 resource bundles (in Windows).. I notice this "mediaui.resources" with these very odd looking pdfs (in OSX, PDF's are sometimes used for Icons and resource images, as they can be as big or as small as needed)... I find it strange, as it looks like it doesn't belong... Or this is future planning for the next Quicktime update...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :However, looking at the Safari4 resource bundles (in Windows).. I notice this "mediaui.resources" with these very odd looking pdfs (in OSX, PDF's are sometimes used for Icons and resource images, as they can be as big or as small as needed)... I find it strange, as it looks like it doesn't belong... Or this is future planning for the next Quicktime update...

HTML5 media tags? Duno really. Shame HTML5 isn't going to be a standard until 2020 or something.
Hm.. Never thought about the HTML5.. lemme go dig up one of the test pages that are kicking around.
Apparently my initial reply didn't work for reasons unknown but how about this..

So apparently we're not allowed to discuss Safari on these forums, but IE whining and Firefox/Opera/Chrome fanboys/bashing is permitted...

Fun stuff
Well at least they've ditched the awful Mac text-rendering engine, but sadly they've decided to follow the dumb IE8 UI, with those stupid little drop-down menus and no main-menubar and all this other guff that breaks practically every UI design rule, for no reason whatsoever, except they seem to think that breaking UI rules amounts to innovation these days. Also, of course, still no mouse gestures.
DT.. It's basically a frikkin Chrome clone, however you CAN enable the menubar (First option under the "GEAR" button :P). It does break "Windows UI rules".. however if you look at the OSX design guidelines... it fits perfectly in
Oh, yes, everytime I look at the menus in, um, every other program I regularly use, I always wonder where the GEAR button is.

It just really confuses me that their following the paradigm set out by a program that monumentally sucks. Ah well, Apple is a hardware vendor, shouldn't expect them to understand software.

They should get in the guy who designed the iPod shuffle. He knew what he was doing.
Unless Safari suprisingly turns out to have the next killer feature, there's hardly any reason for Windows users to try it out.

It either caters to the Apple user who wants to feel at home when he/she is using Windows, to people who want to try the 'Apple experience' out. (ok, maybe also to the 2 developers who feel the need to check whether their sites are Mac-compatible)

Firefox offers extreme customizability, Chrome is designed ground up to be the perfect platform for Web2.0 and Cloud computing, easy to use and some nice touches throw in for good. Opera is for the advanced users that don't like Firefox. IE is evil but comes with Windows.

QED, no need for an evil browser that comes from another closed, proprietary OS
I used to hate Safari (because of its older versions), but I'll give this one a try. It seems like they removed the terrible text blurring, which is a win because I can finally read now, so I'll use it for some time and see what it's got

Even though I'm not really willing to set it as my default browser app, I would prefer using IE8 (comes with Windows 7).
(Message posted using Safari)

By the way, how can I remove the links and thingies "Apple, Yahoo, Youtube" etc?
Edit: Found it, had to click on the gear and then "Hide bookmarks bar".

Edit2: After some time using Safari, I think overall it looks kind of promising, and I like the "Top Sites" animations, but I didn't find any way to add a website on "Top Sites", how can I do this?
Quote from spankmeyer :There isn't a facepalm big enough to describe what an utter failure the browser war is.

If it even was a proper war with proper dead bodies littered everywhere I might approve, but it's just sweaty nerds whining which hunk of bad code and a silly nametag sucks the most/least.

You should see the Boeing/Airbus fanboyism you get on MS Flight Sim forums - a more pointless argument I have yet to see. At least browser fanboyism involves something you can use for yourself
Quote from Velociround :I'll give this one a try.
[...]

I think I've finished testing it. Safari has got several rendering problems with many of the websites I visit frequently (www.lfsbr.com, www.imageshack.us, etc), some of the websites appear completely wrong on it (such as the LFSBR homepage, forum, etc), and it isn't as fast using Flash as I think it should be.
I liked the animations and effects a lot (rearranging tabs, changing to full screen, the Top Sites, etc), but they are just not worth it since the browser can't show the websites I visit correctly, doesn't have mouse gestures and isn't as fast or reliable as the other browsers. The "Top Sites" feature has crashed twice when I was adding websites to it, and I had absolutely nothing else running or open on the computer while testing this browser.

Even though there are more problems in this new release than before (which is ok since it's still a beta), I think it's a big improvement over the last one, and I hope they get these problems fixed soon. (I've reported the bugs to Apple )
I tried safari 4 and it has evilfast javascript engine. So far much faster than Firefox 3.1's TM. But on my (not so) old PC I have problem with Safari, it's very slow while I scroll a page up-down, don't know why, so I can't use it as a default browser, no way.

However, version 4 on Win is big step forward against v3. Font rendering is much much better and the other new stuff...I won't never use
Quote from spankmeyer :There isn't a facepalm big enough to describe what an utter failure the browser war is.

Potential nerds in Iran are too busy finding something to eat, no time for evil computer coding.
I don't really care about all the new features they're trying to pass on us with all those new browsers. I don't really even care much when they talk about speed. I've never actually felt a browser was much faster than any other. For me, browsing speed depends much more on your computer, your connection, and how fast you can actually browse (watching 40 yrs old people browse is a pain for me).

What I want from a browser is quite simple. I need it to be customizable enough to be good looking, I want it to be reasonably secure and finally I want it to have split-view. Which is why I prefer Maxthon

e: I actually tried Chrome. But it looks awful by default and at the time there was no way to change its look. I also sometimes use Songbird for browsing when I want to listen to music while doing so
I tried it too... I didn't like it at all. Opera FTW...
Psh, web-browsers.

As long as I can browse the net I'll use any one of them!
Is apple still insisting on giving it that horrible dated brushed grey look? god I hate that !!

Anyway, I'm trying out IE8 RC1 at the moment and I have to say after the shambles that the Beta was (lasted about 5 mins on my pc before i uninstalled it) I'm quite liking it. In fact I'm loving the accelerator feature, (highlight text on a page and it gives you a quick link to things like dictionary lookups, maps etc without having to cut and paste). First really new browser feature to be of any use since Tabs came along.
Quote from gezmoor :Is apple still insisting on giving it that horrible dated brushed grey look? god I hate that !!

It now at least looks as if it belongs in Windows.

(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG