The online racing simulator
Safari 4 Beta - Google Chrome Mk II. :P
(47 posts, started )
Using Google Chrome and it looks very... minimalist. :hide:
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I tried it too... I didn't like it at all. Opera FTW...

I completely agree, +1

Quote from dawesdust_12 :It now at least looks as if it belongs in Windows.

That's because it does belong to Windows

By default, Windows Standard is selected (e.g.: ClearType). If you select the other ones, it'll start the weird blurring again
CPU usage is through the roof. Using a full core doing nothing. No thanks, I kinda expect a browser to not use much CPU when it's not actually rendering or processing Javascript.

Other than that, the claims that it passes the Acid3 test? False. The animation's not smooth. The "top sites" thing is just eye candy, no need for it to be 3D at all.

Also, where's the full screen functionality? I value my screen space. The latest Chrome nightlies have it, why can't the latest and greatest from Apple?

All in all, it's a no from here. Of course, I'm rarely in Windows anyway, so I'd not be using either Safari or Chrome. It seems visually inconsistent too, the tab bar being totally out of place against the rest of the frame.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

So Closed and proprietary? OSX is quite the contrary. Most of it is Open-Sourced.

Except the entirety of the frontend, with the exception of WebKit. (I'm not including the GNU toolkit and things like Apache, MySQL, PHP etc in this, since if it wasn't bundled you could add it anyway). Cocoa? Closed. All the consumer apps? Closed. Overall, OS X is a lot more closed and proprietary than FreeBSD, Linux et al, but is overall a lot more open than Windows.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :So Closed and proprietary? OSX is quite the contrary. Most of it is Open-Sourced.

OMG what a self defeating line There's no middleground between open and closed when you're talking about the OS itself.

The fact they recycled code off some BSDs only goes to prove their prices are even more outrageous
Quote from gezmoor :In fact I'm loving the accelerator feature, (highlight text on a page and it gives you a quick link to things like dictionary lookups, maps etc without having to cut and paste). First really new browser feature to be of any use since Tabs came along.

Nope - it's yet another feature stolen from Opera.

I don't know if I can even be bothered to install another version of Safari. There's more than enough choice of browsers already and Apple software tends to be pretty awful on the whole. The only people I know who use Safari (other than Mac users) are web designers testing on it.
Quote from durbster :Nope - it's yet another feature stolen from Opera.

Well no surprise there, it is after all an MS product. Having never really used Opera I wouldn't know. I've never really got on with Opera to be honest, not sure why. I've just never liked it's feel.
Quote from gezmoor :Well no surprise there, it is after all an Apple product. Having never really used Opera I wouldn't know. I've never really got on with Opera to be honest, not sure why. I've just never liked it's feel.

Corrected for you
Safari 4 Beta is actually the fastest browser on the market right now. Even faster than minefield and google chrome.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Safari 4 Beta is actually the fastest browser on the market right now. Even faster than minefield and google chrome.

[citation needed]

Benchmarks are not real-world usage. No actual conclusions can be made from just running Sunspider a few times. (Especially when Sunspider only tests Javascript performance)
Quote from JohnUK89 :([...]Sunspider only tests Javascript performance)

That's exactly why Apple chose it
I agree with you.

And I think the tests NSX_FReeDoM was talking about are the Sunspider ones.
But that doesn't automatically make Safari the fastest browser in everything.
No Adblock or Noscript? Fail... The same thing is stopping me using Chrome as well.
i rather doubt that anyone ever thought gee my browser is slow... that is except for the 10 minutes firefoy takes to open up which is unacceptable
Have they fixed it's f***ing non existent crash recovery yet? Because you know, it crashes at the first sign of anything flash

For some reason I still use Safari (Mac) as my main browser, as you may be able to tell it's crashed a few times on me recently, losing all 40 or 50 tabs I had open. I really should use Firefox... except as Shotglass mentions, the 10 minute startup time, and 50 million updates it does EVERY TIME get kinda annoying.
How many tabs? :jawdrop:
About as many as I typically use
Quote from pb32000 :For some reason I still use Safari (Mac) as my main browser, as you may be able to tell it's crashed a few times on me recently, losing all 40 or 50 tabs I had open.

I know it doesn't always work, but when you relaunch go to History then "Relaunch all windows from last session". It tends to do a decent job of relaunching most of the tabs I was using before a random Youtube crash.

I still dunno what it is, but Flash is the only thing that tends to hang and crash Safari. No other plugin does it, so I wonder what the fuc adobe is doing wrong
Quote from NightShift :At a time I reached around 100, then I discovered Taboo.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5756

Add-on? Come on This is a default Opera feature. "Save browsing session". You can select which tabs to save, put a name on it, configure to your liking and open/close the session whenever you want to without messing with the other tabs you're also using..
@Veloci, you're basically missing out the whole underlying philosophy of Firefox, which is extensibility.

BTW I have used Opera years ago before Firefox was out, and tested it again recently. It has a lot of stuff that I don't need, and is missing a lot of things that Firefox has.

So I either use Firefox or Chrome.
Here's an example of why I use Songbird, now. In the quest for computer management simplification, having the music and the browser in the same program becomes a very huge bonus. It has a new version coming in soon (currently in beta) that adds more to the goodness of the bird.
Attached images
sb.JPG
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I know it doesn't always work, but when you relaunch go to History then "Relaunch all windows from last session". It tends to do a decent job of relaunching most of the tabs I was using before a random Youtube crash.

You know, I never knew that Seems to work pretty well cheers.
Quote from JohnUK89 :Corrected for you

I was refering to IE8 and it's use of "accelerators". Maybe I should have been clearer. Or did I miss something??

Safari 4 Beta - Google Chrome Mk II. :P
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG