The online racing simulator
£20 a year to fight piracy?
(47 posts, started )
#2 - Bean0
There was a similar tax on VHS tapes/recoders.
That did a lot to combat piracy :rolleyes:

I'm waiting on the .pdf of the report, I prefer to read these things myself.
IIRC, a portion of the price of CD and DVD writables is also meant to compensate for a possible "illegal" use of them.

I for one find it very alarming that nowadays everyone is considered a "pirate". It seems we're all guilty until proven innocent.
#4 - Bean0
When I get home I will fuel the problem.
Yet another non-existant problem being "solved" by throwing money at it. I want to walk into the house of commons one day and start throwing bags of pound coins at everyone and see if it solves our tyranny problem.
#7 - 5haz
Why do governments keep trying to nationalise the internet?
Quote from 5haz :Why do governments keep trying to nationalise the internet?

They want to control it, obviously, but they can't be seen the censor it like China because that would be too obvious. They gradually introduce legislation that gives them more control, then eventually they try to shut down 4chan and start world war 3.
The Government's job is not to be a lackey of the music industry. Neville Chamberlain tried appeasemant, and that worked, didn't it . If they were to tell the labels, RIAA, MPAA etc to sit and swivel on it, and do nothing about piracy hopefully some large record labels would call in the administrators.
So this means you pay £20 and can pirate whatever you want?
Quote from Gil07 :So this means you pay £20 and can pirate whatever you want?

No, it means you pay £20 so that it's more likely you get fined £2000 for downloading music. Basically paying to make it easier for them to turn you into a criminal.
Oh Great

Might as well pay a coppa to take you down the nick.... seems like that to me
Dont these actors and singers already make enough money even with piracy...
I bet this hair brained idea will also be used to fund this one. No one has a right to broadband and I don't see why tax payers money should be used to give people on dole more free stuff. Plus all it is saying is stop paying for stuff, you can get it for free from the public purse, forget paying for coppers, fire fighters, doctors, nurses, road works, pah, what that money should be spent on is giving scroungers free Internet access.
#15 - 5haz
First we had BT, the UK will have BI soon.

Get your hands off the internet you filthy interfering communists.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I bet this hair brained idea will also be used to fund this one. No one has a right to broadband and I don't see why tax payers money should be used to give people on dole more free stuff. Plus all it is saying is stop paying for stuff, you can get it for free from the public purse, forget paying for coppers, fire fighters, doctors, nurses, road works, pah, what that money should be spent on is giving scroungers free Internet access.

You might want to try actually reading about these things before posting.

The USO would mean that all homes have the capability to receive broadband of a certain speed (either wired, or wireless), not that all homes get it for free.
I would rather give 20£ to the EU to dismantle the content industry, and make all that 'precious' copyrighted content available for public use at no cost for the taxpayers.
Quote from Bean0 :You might want to try actually reading about these things before posting.

The USO would mean that all homes have the capability to receive broadband of a certain speed (either wired, or wireless), not that all homes get it for free.

Ah, it appears the site says something different to what I heard on the TV, teach me to listen to ITV news, which said the gov't was going to give broadband to low income families. I am such a daft cock.
I'd rather it be done by killing off the large producers and independantify (if it isn't a word it deserves a spot in the OED) record labels and film producers, having large labels in the music industry with retrospect could be compared to inviting Harold Shipman to an old people's christmas party.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Ah, it appears the site says something different to what I heard on the TV, teach me to listen to ITV news, which said the gov't was going to give broadband to low income families. I am such a daft cock.

They were going on about that a few months back, but I think it basically boiled down to having the internet available at local libraries so the unemployed could apply for jobs online, or just leech pr0n...
Why not ban broadband altogether then? Maybe no-one should be allowed to use the internet. Oh, but then they'll have to put a tax on CD burners so people don't copy CDs. So then they can always ban CD burners as well. And then, a surcharge of $20 will have to be added to phone service, because people might play music through the phone and record it on the other end.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Why not ban broadband altogether then? Maybe no-one should be allowed to use the internet. Oh, but then they'll have to put a tax on CD burners so people don't copy CDs. So then they can always ban CD burners as well. And then, a surcharge of $20 will have to be added to phone service, because people might play music through the phone and record it on the other end.

Don't give them ideas, seeing how much greedy the content industry is they might even try and lobby the gov to actually do that.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Why not ban broadband altogether then? Maybe no-one should be allowed to use the internet. Oh, but then they'll have to put a tax on CD burners so people don't copy CDs. So then they can always ban CD burners as well. And then, a surcharge of $20 will have to be added to phone service, because people might play music through the phone and record it on the other end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy
Quote from ColeusRattus :IIRC, a portion of the price of CD and DVD writables is also meant to compensate for a possible "illegal" use of them.

I for one find it very alarming that nowadays everyone is considered a "pirate". It seems we're all guilty until proven innocent.

...USB drives and HDDs too (depending on their capacity).

I am wondering why, in the age of worldwide electronic distribution of content, artists are still dependent on those bloodsucking, greedy and morale-less distributors and producers. Sure, artists need money to pay for recording studios etc., but can't they take a loan at their local bank? And then distribute online with proper tools. It works for PC games (Steam for example, where independent games are offered, too).

I read lots of (propaganda, IMHO) articles, that tell you to buy CDs and not download them, because artists need the money they deserve. The thing is that artists (or game developers, if you will) get paid by their producers anyway. It's just those money-hungry producers that we are stealing from...and I don't care in that case. I have no problem with buying CDs from independent musicians that get the money that I pay and which they deserve. I just somewhat don't feel the need to support those large companies that exploit human talent.
Why should I give my money away to someone who lives here:

Just so I can listen to their music? It's not like I'm doing something that would reduce their profit if I wouldn't be buying from them in the first place. You can't lose that which you did not have in the first place.

(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG