The online racing simulator
#1 - lerts
a thought on acceleration is it correct?
i was thinking if you start acelerating in the corner 1 tenth of a second before at the end of the straight you have not gained on tenth but maybe a whole second, is this correct
Yeah, it is but maybe not a whole seconds worth. That theory is called 'slow in fast out', which works quite well in under-powered cars, or any car for that matter. You'll definitely gain time though, the earlier you can get full power down the better really.
.... What? You couldn't calculate how far you would have gained time wise because of the question "How long is a straight?"

Stop confusing my mind.
#4 - lerts
i think if my suposition is correct im starting using both pedals cause the time i waste lifting depressing the foot might be draining my times
Yeah, most people in LFS use left foot braking. It's just faster and that's all there is to it
#6 - lerts
well i would never use left foot braking for 2 reasons:

im right footed, having more precision on right foot

i dont want to risk to try to brake with the clutch in real life due to a strong habit

so what i do: acelerate with left foot and brake with right foot

like this i keep having my right foot precision and the only risk i have in real life is try to acelerate with the clutch which represents no risk
Quote from lerts :

like this i keep having my right foot precision and the only risk i have in real life is try to acelerate with the clutch which represents no risk

That is just bizarre but I guess you're trying to prove you're more logical than the rest of us again or something.

In answer to your first question, it all depends how long the next straight is. Sometimes it is better to just get through the corner in as short a time as possible and to hell with that fraction more exit speed because you're immediately at another corner.
I think you've got a G25? Where is the problem to use your feet like the way it's been since 80+ years?

I imagine yourself driving with 40 - 60 degree steering lock, accelerating with the brake pedal or the clutch pedal, and braking with the gas. Or you are actually crossing your legs just to brake and accelerate with the "other" foot.

That's just... I don't know a matching word, but stupid is what describes it best.
#9 - lerts
the thing is that im slower using both feet but with this oposition i think ill keep trying
If you try to learn how to drive with 270 degree lock and left foot braking then you'll be much faster than you are now.
i dont drive with 40º lock for being unique i do it cause i tried all kinds of locks and im faster with high sensitivities, just as some people is faster with mouse and other with wheels

i dont like left foot brake mainly cause im afraid of building such a strong habit that i could try to brake in an emergency with my left foot in the clutch

anyway so you dont say im not listening ill try for a while 180º lock
wheel lock is a personal preference. Personally I use 270 because it's a nice intermediate between sensitive and a good feel for the slides.
Left foot braking is always faster, because you'll have much less coast time, and you're able to blip with your right foot while your left is on the brake.
You won't hit the clutch once you're used to left foot braking. I just leave my left foot resting on the brake at all times.
Quote from lerts :i was thinking if you start acelerating in the corner 1 tenth of a second before at the end of the straight you have not gained on tenth but maybe a whole second, is this correct

As has been said already, you're correct.

When doing hotlaps, trying to improve your laptimes, it's sort of intuitive to think that "oh, in order to go faster I should brake later". While it might sound like a good idea, my experience is that the opposite tactic is more often better. That is, go slower into the corner and focus on maintaining the balance of the car so that you can get back on the throttle earlier than normal. You'll gain a lot more by doing it this way than the split second you gain from braking later. Plus, you'll have better control of the car throughout the corner, which is crucial for consistency. (which, after all, is arguably more important than anyting in a race!)
If you're slow in (ie, you brake early) you're only slower for a few tens of metres as you brake, but if you're slow out (you brake late), you make up the speed for those few tens of metres before the corner but you're slower for the whole length of the following straight, which has a much bigger effect on your laptime.
Quote from [DUcK] :Yeah, most people in LFS use left foot braking. It's just faster and that's all there is to it

cause they havent discoveredthe hell toe technique...

left foot stays over the clutch all day long
No, most people can heel and toe in LFS, they choose not to because it's not as fast. Think about the time lost, by swapping your right foot from accelerator to brake, then back to accelerator after. Also you usually lose some brake pressure if you heel and toe by lifting your foot or ankle up and over a bit.
Quote from lerts :well i would never use left foot braking for 2 reasons:

im right footed, having more precision on right foot

i dont want to risk to try to brake with the clutch in real life due to a strong habit

Weird, RL and PC arent the same, i just cant believe people that think like that...
I use both for pc and the right irl...
Quote from [DUcK] :No, most people can heel and toe in LFS, they choose not to because it's not as fast. Think about the time lost, by swapping your right foot from accelerator to brake, then back to accelerator after. Also you usually lose some brake pressure if you heel and toe by lifting your foot or ankle up and over a bit.

:|

Nice...

give me a few minutes to wipes the tears of laughter from my eyes then ill respond...

Lol... just lol...
#19 - DeKo
Quote from [DUcK] :No, most people can heel and toe in LFS, they choose not to because it's not as fast. Think about the time lost, by swapping your right foot from accelerator to brake, then back to accelerator after. Also you usually lose some brake pressure if you heel and toe by lifting your foot or ankle up and over a bit.

seriously? you cant be being serious, surely?

H&T is a very good technique, mainly because you're rev-matching as you go down a gear, stopping the wheels locking up, giving the car a lot more stability and control and generally making it faster.

i agree with noob ^^, in all the road cars i right foot brake and throttle and left foot clutch, unless its a special occasion when both at the same time can be useful (entering T1 on SO1r, for example), mainly because left foot braking feels really wrong and i dont have any subtlety in my left foot at all. even in SS cars i right foot brake and my left foot doing bugger all.

to those who drive in real life, ever tried left foot braking? because the clutch pedal is usually heavier than the brake pedal, and im far too used to just putting the clutch pedal to the floor, every time i tried left foot braking for a laugh i nearly put myself through the windscreen.
Quote from DeKo :seriously? you cant be being serious, surely?

H&T is a very good technique, mainly because you're rev-matching as you go down a gear, stopping the wheels locking up, giving the car a lot more stability and control and generally making it faster.

i agree with noob ^^, in all the road cars i right foot brake and throttle and left foot clutch, unless its a special occasion when both at the same time can be useful (entering T1 on SO1r, for example), mainly because left foot braking feels really wrong and i dont have any subtlety in my left foot at all. even in SS cars i right foot brake and my left foot doing bugger all.

to those who drive in real life, ever tried left foot braking? because the clutch pedal is usually heavier than the brake pedal, and im far too used to just putting the clutch pedal to the floor, every time i tried left foot braking for a laugh i nearly put myself through the windscreen.

What Duck may be referring to is left foot braking with revmatching using a clutch button on a wheel, for example. This way you get the best of both - no foot transition time and no wheel lockup (unless you use too much brake). That's what I tend to do, though admittedly I don't have a clutch pedal (I'd like one), and, more importantly, I'm not fast at all.

As far as LFS vs. IRL driving, I don't think this practice affects it much. I don't get to drive much IRL due to a lack of car, but all the cars that I do get to drive occasionally are automatics. So in theory, they'd be perfect for left foot braking, yet I always use the right foot. IMO, the frequency, intensity and braking precision required in most day to day driving is not comparable to what you need in LFS. Couple that to a different driving position, weight of controls, accelerative forces, etc. and your brain shouldn't have a problem transitioning to a rfb setup.

Not true.

Just the explanation why :
- Your right foot when driving should press the accelerator with the toes, while the heel is at the bottom of the brakes.
- When braking, you switch your toe to the brake pedal
- Heel-toeing as the standard way
- And out of a corner, instead of swapping the toes again, you release the brakes and start pressing with you right heel, then with your toes
- During the straight, you switch back to position way.

This way you are sur to have NO intereference between your brake pedal and your gas pedal. People I know that brake with the left foot while lifting off tend to release the gas-push the brake in a synchronized motion, that reduces slightly the brake power at the beginning (because you are still accelereting). So, the tenth of a second they gain by not moving the foot is balanced by two tenth when they start braking and there is still some gas.

Also : most of the people who use a wheel brake with their left foot, because most ofthe people that have a wheel only have 2 pedals (I think so)
Quote from Zen321 :Not true.

Just the explanation why :
- Your right foot when driving should press the accelerator with the toes, while the heel is at the bottom of the brakes.

Don't think this is necessary. You can have your right heel at the bottom of the gas pedal, and under braking you just pivot your foot on the heel to put the toes on the brake pedal, while blipping the throttle either with your heel or with the side of your foot (I've seen both). If you look at some of the "driving" shoes by Piloti, Puma, Adidas Goodyear or even driving mocs/loafers (like Tod's), they have the heel curved lengthwise or spherical, so that it's easy to pivot on. Just thought I'd clarify that.
Okay, so you tards are saying that controlling the throttle your right foot, and controlling the brake with your left foot is slower? You can still blip the throttle on the way down the gearbox, you still have the right foot on the throttle. You guys obviously didn't get what I was saying. Besides it's sometimes faster to not rev match or heel toe if that's the only way you know how to say it, because it will get the rear end around a lot faster for tight corners.
We're not talking about real life here, we're talking about LFS.

Compare the two, it's simple:
Driver a uses left foot braking, driver b uses right foot and the heel + toe technique.
Driver a is able to hold on full power before braking, because he does not need to shift his right leg over. Driver b starts braking, he is on maximum pressure for a while, untill he has to change down and heel toe, he loses some brake pressure for a split second. Driver a can hold his foot on the threshold of braking for the whole time, controlling the rev match and anything else with his right foot.
If you can't see how that is faster, then I don't have time to argue with you.
It's faster for the better driver, Scotteh. The one who's perfected their technique.
Quote from DeKo :to those who drive in real life, ever tried left foot braking?

do it all the time when im bored

and theres a reason why most race drivers use left foot braking in cars where you dont need the clutch... its quicker gives you more control and its what theyre used to from when they were 5 and went from karts to real cars while others got left behind

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG