The online racing simulator
Razer Megalodon 7:1 headset, Yey, Or ney?
(21 posts, started )
Basicly im considering getting a newhead set soon enough...it will be used constantly for CSS gaming as I play it alot.

Now been a little poor boy, ive always gone without a suround sound headset, but ive been looking at 5.1's for mah birthday, (Razer Barracuda/Saitek cyborg (TO GO WIH MAH KEYBOARD AND MOUSE LAWLZ:shy
but then I came acrose the Megalodon.

Seems to sell for around £100 has its sound proccessing unit and stuff, one of the first 7.1 headsets?

...I wont try and explain it...because im dim
Instead, linkage!

http://www2.razerzone.com/Megalodon/

...and if you cant stand the horrible flash site

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/a ... nd-headset-unveiled-at-gc

www.google.com

Is this gonna be worth the buy? will I hear a difference compared to a high quality 5.1 headset?

And i'd also like to ask, how much of a difference IS a 5.1 headset to standard headset / 5.1 speakers?

Cheers, Jim.
Do surround sound headsets really work? Personally I always thought it was a gimmick. I'll stick with my high quality stereo headphones for now.
I used to use the Speedlink Medusa 5.1's and they're a really great headset but its a right annoyance to set them up properly.

I got some Steelseries Siberia's for Christmas and have been using those, the sound quality is very good but in game its quite hard to tell the difference between infront and behind, so turning sideways so its left/right is usually in order when i'm listening for the bomb ticking.
There's a niche - some sort of TrackIR setup, but for sound.
So, does it take the 7 channels, and process it down to two channels with binaural sound? Or is there just a bunch of different drivers in the headphones?
Wouldn't a set of quality gaming headphones (I'd recommend a Plantronics one) be sufficient?
People that I know that play CSS and 1.6 for a living, all use stereo headsets like Sennheiser 350's, Senn 555 or the Siberia and 5Hv2.

For build quality I really like the Sennheiser 350's. Great piece of kit but not surround sound.

Razor make great products....
Quote from StableX :People that I know that play CSS and 1.6 for a living, all use stereo headsets like Sennheiser 350's, Senn 555 or the Siberia and 5Hv2.

For build quality I really like the Sennheiser 350's. Great piece of kit but not surround sound.

Razor make great products....

I support Sennheiser 100%, I only have the HD 280's and they're great, I'm sure the higher up models are even better.
after my own personal experiences and watching others, i would suggest just getting a decent brand of stereo headphones, so that you're paying for quality, not extra speakers that you dont really need. Ive seen a few $150 5.1 sets fall apart after about 12 months, that were supposedly high quality (not sure the brand) Ive had good experience with sennheisers.
#10 - MR_B
Look into Creative Lab's Fata1ty range. I've got a headset from them and I absolutely love them. Worth every single penny!
I just bought a cheap pair of Gemini DJ headphones for $20. The quality is pretty bad. But half the reason I bought them was for DJing on my computer for fun.
Quote from StableX :People that I know that play CSS and 1.6 for a living,

AKA "Homeless people" or "People who still live with their parents".
Quote from wheel4hummer :So, does it take the 7 channels, and process it down to two channels with binaural sound? Or is there just a bunch of different drivers in the headphones?

if you had read the site youd know its stereo with 3d head related transfer function processing
pretty clever kit although 50db snr is rather low for the price and you can scrap the .1 bit right away
Quote :I support Sennheiser 100%, I only have the HD 280's and they're great, I'm sure the higher up models are even better.

The 595's are well worth the money, if you have an amp then get some 650s and if you're stupidly rich I think the new HD800s are about £1000.

Quote :you can scrap the .1 bit right away

True, what's the point of including a channel you can't hear in headphones?
Just buy a sennheiser I bought years and years ago this sennheiser hd555, and have to say, the deal was worth it! The weight is perfect, and of course same with a sounds and shapes. And the price was something about +100e, but nowdays its have to be even lower.. and if you got moneys for hd595(or what was it ), you dont need to think anything else to buy.
And btw, no problems at all with this headset yet. Working perfectly.
How many ears do you need for these?
I trade only in lollars.
Quote from UncleBenny :I support Sennheiser 100%, I only have the HD 280's and they're great, I'm sure the higher up models are even better.

had a set meself, busted within a week but hey, thats my drunken rage, nobody elses...

they seemed to be the best when i got them several months ago and nothing i tryed afterwards where as good ( but ireland tech is so behind the rest of the world. )

PS: never play CSS drunk...
Quote :I bought years and years ago this sennheiser hd555, and have to say, the deal was worth it!

I've got the same pair myself, and yes they're a very nice set of headphones. They're also so comfortable that I can sometimes find I've been wearing them for hours at a time at the computer without listening to any kind of audio!

I would tend to go for a decent pair of stereo headphones- I haven't experienced any of the 5.1/7.1 phones but would imagine that the quality is lessened over so many speakers, as opposed to having two really nice good quality speakers. They look interesting though, and I'm curious to hear what they actually do sound like, because I'm pretty skeptical. Surround sound seems much more suited to games than music or even movies, so perhaps this is the way forward?

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG